Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by MadInChicago
    Quote Originally Posted by StokeyBob
    Ha Ha Ha

Since this thread is already Godwinned it reminds me of a comment I thought was funny over on fark. Someone posted a link to some color pictures of the Nazi's .

One person made the comment;

You know what the difference is between the Obama Inauguration and this rally? Fewer foaming-at-the-mouth fanatics showed up at Nuremburg.

[b]StokeyBob,
    I am so happy you are so amused. It’s nice to know that someone out there has such a handle on life that they can ignore other points of view.
    I am also happy to give you the opportunity to use the “big wordâ€

Quote Originally Posted by MadInChicago
    Ha Ha Ha

Since this thread is already Godwinned it reminds me of a comment I thought was funny over on fark. Someone posted a link to some color pictures of the Nazi's .

One person made the comment;

You know what the difference is between the Obama Inauguration and this rally? Fewer foaming-at-the-mouth fanatics showed up at Nuremburg.

[b]StokeyBob,
    I am so happy you are so amused. It’s nice to know that someone out there has such a handle on life that they can ignore other points of view.
    I am also happy to give you the opportunity to use the “big wordâ€
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Ok, I tried to resist because I hate looking stupid, but I have decided FEELING stupid is worse. What on earth does Godwinned mean?
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by cayla99
    Ok, I tried to resist because I hate looking stupid, but I have decided FEELING stupid is worse. What on earth does Godwinned mean?

It's slang Cayla, "urbanese" if you will.

Loosely translated Godwinning is the associating of a someone or something with a Nazi or Nazi Germany.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath

Loosely translated Godwinning is the associating of a someone or something with a Nazi or Nazi Germany.

Well in cases like Obama, it could be true
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It can be used as an in-direct method of attacking a person’s intelligence.
    I don’t believe in it, or use it, I only defend against it.

FORMULA:
    It’s the average number of replies in a thread before a Nazi reference is made. Generally, Godwin's number is regarded to be twenty, based on the equation: G=(d(Q1)+d(Q2)+...+d(Q)n)/100*n^(-n)
    where Qn is the intelligence of user n, n is the total number of forum users, and d is a damping function that prevents the intelligence (or lack there of) of one user to influence the others too much.

USAGE:
    As he typed his polemic on the forum, John brought the discussion one step closer to Godwin's number.
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

I just spoke to a lady at the market on this issue of black helicopters above her house in a dream. But she doesn't get on the internet. I told her let's meet for lunch sometime. The government is testing us in many areas.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath

Well in cases like Obama, it could be true

I agree, absolutely.

If it walks like a........well, you know

In 1984, I was in the Army stationed in MD. A news station out of Baltimore said a number of people began running into the hospitals and clinics complaining of a sudden headache and nausea. Because of the large number of people being treated at the same time for the same thing, the CDC got involved. The post I was staioned at cleared up the confusion. They had sprayed a dilluted version of a chemical over the city of Baltimore. The Army apologized and said they were just testing the effects and that was the end of it. I thought people would be outraged or something, but it was never in the media again.

I used the term wrong but over on fark.com I thought it was meant pretty much as a joke.

Most threads over there start out with people making jokes and poking fun.

Lots of the times they will progress to intelligent and very insightful comments.

As things progress it can get more and more serious with name calling and people making personal attacks on each other. Sometimes around this stage Nazi's will be brought into the discussion. Sometimes by someone making a comparison with another.

That is when someone will mention that the thread has been Godwinned and is officially over. Mostly I've always thought it was a joke but when the threads get to that stage they are in fact pretty much over for any real good discussion. I've never heard it called and seen a thread actually end because of it.

The mention of Nazi's in this thread was not out of meanness. I was wrong. I should have be more thoughtful.

I had a feeling many wouldn't understand it that is why I linked it to the Urban Dictionary Definition.

I also see a better place to link to over there explaining it.

Godwin's law

P.S. Sorry again MadInChicago

P.S. Mostly on fark someone calls Godwin's Law at any mention of Nazi's as a joke.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast