http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01 ... 006023.txt

Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Last modified Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:57 AM PST

Heavy traffic enforcement today in Escondido

By: North County Times

ESCONDIDO ---- About 30 officers from around the region are patrolling Escondido streets today as part of a monthly enforcement program by the North County Law Enforcement Traffic Safety Council.

One day each month the council provides officers for added traffic enforcement in an area city. Escondido was targeted for the January date.

Officers look for speeding and other violations as well as check for licenses and traffic-related requirements for drivers.

Vehicles are being impounded at times today, a police dispatcher said.

And the comments left so far:
Excellent wrote on January 10, 2007 12:40 PM:"Doesn't bother me in the least!"

Paul wrote on January 10, 2007 1:13 PM:"Good job, I appreciate all your efforts."

Vista Citizen wrote on January 10, 2007 2:03 PM:"Try the Mission area for good results, if you know what I mean. Then come to the Vista Santa Fe area, if you know what I mean."

Mr Hunt wrote on January 10, 2007 2:06 PM:"Two Words...Police State. "

Good...But Could Be Better wrote on January 10, 2007 2:25 PM:"While this is good, I'd rather they spend the money towards catching the idiots who are doing graffiti - Escondido is looking really terrible these days."

Gramma wrote on January 10, 2007 2:29 PM:"No problem if you are licensed, have insurance and proper tags. I can't say this enough. This is not discrimination. It is the law for everyone. The only problem some people will have is if they disrespect and or ignore the law while keeping their fingers crossed that they will not be pulled over. Not an intelligent choice. To all the officers out today you are doing this city proud and all legal drivers appreciate your efforts. Thank You Ao Much on our behalf!!!"

oh no.. wrote on January 10, 2007 2:39 PM:"Good thing I've got my valentine one. I'm sure it'll be working hard today "

I like wrote on January 10, 2007 3:12 PM:"No car, no work, no apartment. Try going to Oceanside they don't check cars there and you can get jobs there too!"

Really wrote on January 10, 2007 3:43 PM:"Just another way for the city to collect more revenue. This type of enforcement does NOTHING FOR PUBLIC SAFETY! It's just to raise funds for the city on the backs of the drivers through issued citations. How many accidents did they stop today? Compare today's actions with the average accident rate and you will see no changes! I wish the news organizations would do a little more "Investigative" work, instead of just printing what everyone says!"

Gramma to Mr Hunt of 2 Words wrote on January 10, 2007 4:00 PM:"Police State???? Huh?? Sounds a bit over reactionary and phobic if you ask me. Yes it is a state (California) and yes we have police. But, yes we have vehicle laws. Are you saying police should not enforce state vehicle laws? I believe they are just doing their job and doing it very well. If you think that is being a "police state", then maybe we are. Are we both on the same page now?? The "state police" are just doing their job?? Two words: Thank You"

Interesting wrote on January 10, 2007 4:25 PM:"Glad to see the police can take this active roll to make their awareness known. However, I'd love to seem the same thing with INS or the border patrol. Amazing how our rights aren't infringed with the police doing this but try to get an illegal out and its discrimination. Both are crucial parts to making our city a better place. Hopefully those in power realize this before its to late."

Todd wrote on January 10, 2007 5:56 PM:"Awesome!!Now get rid of the PUNKS who are doing the graffiti!You know who they are."

Ocenaside Resident wrote on January 10, 2007 6:14 PM:"It's quota time! Geeze why don't they just flat out and say that they have to meet their quotas. I already heard officers say it to another figure why not let it be publically known? Though this morning, I saw an officer giving out tickets to the people out on the streets selling papers. I'm quite confused on this, what's going on?"

To Mr. Hunt wrote on January 10, 2007 7:37 PM:"Don't worry you could probably go to traffic school to take care of that ticket...lol"

Quotas?? wrote on January 10, 2007 7:39 PM:"Gee, Officer Smith you wrote 12 tickets today, now you get a toaster....you people are a joke if you actually believe there are quotas. The hawkers get tickets because they are always stepping out into traffic. "

Offenders Abound wrote on January 10, 2007 7:47 PM:"Escondido is chocked full of unlicensed drivers and UNINSURED beaters! You ask any personal lines insurance underwriter in California to show you some stats, and I guarantee you that zip codes like 92025 will show overwhelming and disproportionate numbers of motor vehicle incidents involving UNINSURED cars. It will also show higher premium rates because of the high frequency of UNINSURED motorist accidents, and car theft. One glance at the NC Time crime blotter is pretty telling because Escondido has about 3x more cars stolen than any of its neighboring communities. Don't believe me?...look at the blotter yourself. It's real disgusting. Of course, all of you paranoid 'Police State' and civil rights anti-discrimination freaks can't begin to understand the UNINSURED motorist impact because you lack basic business intellect. "

It's me again! wrote on January 10, 2007 7:58 PM:"Why can't some of you just appreciate the police officers in our city? Would you do their job? If not, keep your nasty comments to yourself."

bryan wrote on January 10, 2007 9:49 PM:"Police departments are doing great work, this should be done every day. Dont break the laws and you should have no problem with the police. But if you are like most who post here, dope smoking liberals then you have a lot to hide and should be scared."

tom wrote on January 10, 2007 9:52 PM:"I would like to get an update story to this one with the results. Easy to guess they probably wrote a lot of tickets for no ID and no insurance. Escondido has highest rate of hit and run accidents in california. We should have daily checks on escondido roads. "