Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hillary Clinton Calls for Gonzales' Resignation

Hillary Clinton Calls for Gonzales' Resignation

By JAKE TAPPER AND CINDY SMITH

March 13, 2007 — In an exclusive interview to air Wednesday morning, March 14, on "Good Morning America," Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination, for the first time called for the resignation of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

"The buck should stop somewhere," Clinton told ABC News senior political correspondent Jake Tapper, "and the attorney general — who still seems to confuse his prior role as the president's personal attorney with his duty to the system of justice and to the entire country — should resign.

Watch "Good Morning America" on Wednesday for the full interview.

"I'm deeply disturbed by what we have learned thus far," Clinton said, "and I join those who are calling for a full and thorough investigation to try to get to the bottom of these very political decisions that interfere with prosecutorial responsibility by U.S. attorneys, and I think that the attorney general should resign."

Clinton said the evidence so far pointed to "direct interference with the way U.S. attorneys are supposed to operate — to be impartial. There's evidence of political interference and political pressure being put on them to engage in partisan political activities." Clinton added there were "so many examples of an abuse of power, of going in and removing people not on the basis of performance but, in fact, because they were performing well, they were fulfilling their responsibilities as a U.S. attorney, and that wasn't within the political agenda of the administration."

When Clinton's husband took office in 1993, one of the first actions his attorney general took was to remove every U.S. attorney. Clinton was asked how this was different from the termination of eight U.S. attorneys last December.

"There is a great difference," Clinton said. "When a new president comes in, a new president gets to clean house. It's not done on a case-by-case basis where you didn't do what some senator or member of Congress told you to do in terms of investigations into your opponents. It is 'Let's start afresh' and every president has done that."
    Page 2 of 2)

When asked what she'd like to see from President Bush and White House aide Karl Rove, Clinton said, "The president needs to be very forthcoming — what did he say, what did he know, what did he do? And Karl Rove is clearly in the middle of this from all the evidence we have seen so far, and I think he owes the Congress and the country an explanation."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=2948538&page=1
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

She needs to sit down and shut up! Her husband fired 93 of them....

As much as I would like to see Gonzales gone, due to his lenient attitude about illegals, I think the Dems are making too much out of this one...hypocritical.
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

I understand your annoyance at Hllary and the Dems, but I just can't stand Gonzales! He's overstepped his authority with wiretaps, downplaying illegal aliens who are criminals and now he's got this to add to his credibility.

As far as Hillary,
    I think she would grandstand on any hotbutton issue, just to get press and she's glad it's not her in the hotseat!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Personally, I think that if the dems can prove Gonzolas to be more than faulty with Bush and who ever behind this (which could also involve the case of Ramos and Copean--you never know), then I would applaude them. There are rotton dems and rotton repubicans too and I believe that some people here are so freaking partisan that they can't recognize that there are good dems as well as good repubs. I'm INDEPENDENT and proud of it.

Instead of blamimg parties we should blame individuals--like Ted Kennedy, aka "The Swimmer". But he's no worse than that pile of trash residing in the White House.