Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Honey, they shrank the packets of food

Honey, they shrank the packets of food

James Doran in New York The Observer,
    Sunday July 13, 2008

The humble American consumer, already dogged by soaring petrol prices and declining wages, now has something more sinister to contend with: downsized groceries.

'There is a grocery shrink ray that has been unleashed on supermarkets across America,' said Ben Popken, editor of consumerist.com, a popular consumer affairs website.

Facing higher prices for ingredients and a tumbling dollar, American food manufacturers have been forced to tackle the issue of price inflation. But rather than increase the prices of packets of food on the shelves - which tends to steer consumers away from expensive branded goods towards cheaper varieties - many of the big food manufacturers have simply shrunk the size of their products while keeping prices steady.

'That's why we call it the grocery shrink ray,' said Popken, adding that his website has seen a massive increase in alerts from users over recent weeks.

Kellogg's has slashed the size of a wide variety of its cereal boxes by 2.4 ounces while Kraft has cut the number of slices of cheese in some packets from 11 to 10.

'That's a good one,' Popken said. 'There is a little green label on the package that says "sensible serving". Kraft is giving you less for the same amount of money but it tries to claim it is helping you out fitness-wise.'

Unilever, the consumer goods company, is at the forefront of shrink-ray usage with jars of Hellmann's mayonnaise shrinking to 30 ounces from 32 ounces. Unilever's Country Crock margarine tubs were reduced by around 6 per cent, from three pounds to two pounds 13 ounces, and Breyers ice cream by 14 per cent from 56 ounces to 48 ounces.

'Package-size reduction is mainly focused on the US, and is only one of our responses to dramatic input cost increases,' a Unilever spokesman said.

Tropicana, the juice arm of Pepsi Co., hit back at opponents of the shrink ray, blaming the soaring price of oil for its decision to sell smaller containers of fruit juice without reducing prices.

'Oil costs have skyrocketed,' the company said. 'Oil is used to make plastic bottles, fuel our factories, and ship our juice across the country in refrigerated trains and trucks. We had the choice either to increase prices or downsize the bottle.'

Popken agrees that you cannot beat inflation but thinks the consumer giants should stop trying to hoodwink consumers with the shrink ray.

'Of course, I understand that prices must go up but please don't insult my intelligence by using the shrink ray and thinking I won't notice.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008 ... ending.oil
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Most people are noticing this. People need to complain.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Just got back from the grocery store I spent 68.00 and did not really get anything but basics bread,milk,eggs,a few pounds of ground beef,toilet tissue,paper towels and a few other essential items.I allmost fell over when the cashier told me the total...

And I really felt used with the new spanish signs up in the store they are more visable than the english version.
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!