Houston National Cemetery's Declaration of Independence

by Michelle Lancaster
65 Comments

Yesterday, I had the honor of attending the Religious Freedom Rally at the Houston National Cemetery with my husband Steve. At this event, a coalition of Houston area pastors, representing a variety of ethnic and religious denominations, stood alongside several Texas politicians and local officials to support our veterans, their families, freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

Tears began swelling in my eyes early as we drove off the Sam Houston toll road onto the feeder road to a complete stop well before the signal light to turn onto Veteran’s Memorial Boulevard. I felt great pride in knowing so many of my fellow Texans felt as we did and were able to attend this event. We arrived with plenty of time, but with the turn out of what I’d say was close to 1,000 people, we ended up having to park at the far end of the cemetery and were a teeny bit late to hearing the first couple speakers. But the hundred-degree heat was going to stop us. We all heard the call and we came. As we walked up to the event, I heard “pardon the noise, but this is the sound of freedom.â€