Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

How I Got Arrested for Holding an IMPEACH Sign

How I Got Arrested for Holding an IMPEACH Sign
    Submitted by davidswanson on Fri, 2007-08-17 19:14. Activism

By Jonas Phillips

I am writing to tell you about an abuse of power in Asheville, NC by a police sergeant.

I occasionally stand on an interstate overpass near my place of work in the mornings and hold a sign that says 'IMPEACH BUSH / CHENEY'.

On Wednesday August 15, I was standing alone with my sign for about 10 minutes, when I was approached by Police Officer Russell Crisp. He asked me how long I was planning to stay there and I told him just a few more minutes because I had to go to work at 8:00. He asked for my ID and I obliged. I asked him if I was doing something wrong, and he said that his Sergeant was on the way and he was going to wait for him. SO, I went back to my sign holding over the interstate.

A few minutes later Sergeant Randy Riddle showed up with a paper in his hand. He spoke briefly to Crisp, then walked over to me and told me to put down my sign, put my hands behind my back, and that I was under arrest! I was shocked and almost thought he was joking until he told me again to put down the sign and put my hands behind me and I was under arrest. So I peacefully agreed and he cuffed me. I asked him why I was being arrested, he told me I was in violation County Ordinance 16-2, (the print out in his hand that he didn't bother to read to me or show me.) He told me I was obstructing the sidewalk. I told him I was not and that officer Crisp had witnessed a guy walk by me moments before.

Riddle yelled at me, "You were obstructing the sidewalk!" and "I'm sick of this shit!" then he said, "Here's your 15 minutes of fame buddy!" I looked back to see his name plate and he said in a mean condescending tone, "Yea, that's 'Sergeant Riddle' get it right!" He then put me in Officer Crisp's police car. Riddle took my sign with him and I was taken downtown and booked by Crisp. I was never read my Miranda rights.

While at the jail I was asked several times about what groups or organizations I was with, like a local group Veterans for Peace. And more specifically the Southeast Convergence for Climate Action group that had protested at the Bank of America on Monday. I was told by officer Crisp that since that protest the police had pulled out this ordinance. I was searched, and they took pictures of me and my tattoos. Since I haven't been in trouble in 15 years, I was given a court date and allowed to sign a written promise to appear in court.

This is an example of an American citizen having his/her civil liberties tread upon.

In Asheville, you are allowed to protest on city sidewalks without a permit. The sidewalk is about 5 feet wide. I never blocked the sidewalk; I knew about that ordinance already and was not trying to be arrested. It was obvious to me that Riddle had a problem with my sign because there is no way I could block the sidewalk all by myself. I feel like my rights were trampled by this harassment from Riddle. I got the feeling that he was trying to scare me away, but he only strengthened my resolve to protest more!

By the way, I never got my sign back from Sergeant Riddle.

No Miranda rights. False charges. But it doesn't matter. The cops in our now present police state will do whatever they want. The murder monkey has ordained and sanctioned it. Welcome to Bush World.

http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/?q=node/25922
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Just another citizen being arrested

These are exactly to morons that need to be given walking papers.... there is absolutly no reason to do what they did.

Freedom of speach can get you locked up and interrogated... huh; what... for blocking the sidewalk ... put the jelly donut down and stand away from all the snack foods sergeant... you got a sugar high and your sences are imparred

The police state has laws they want to enforce agains citizens... but competly ingnore the illegal allien community...

Its time people... it's time
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I want to see the police report on this.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Where is the ACLU when they are truly needed?

(I know, I know, too busy suing counties and cities for making at least a token effort to do some immigration law enforcement...)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    I want to see the police report on this.

W
    It would be interesting to see. I bet the Asheville Citizens Times might post a copy of it if enough people asked.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Charges against ‘highway blogger’ will change

Charges against ‘highway blogger’ will change
    by Adam Behsudi, ABEHSUDI@CITIZEN-TIMES.COM
    published August 17, 2007 12:15 am
    Read all 136 comments »
    e-mail this
    Print this

ASHEVILLE — Police said Thursday that it would change charges against a man who held an “impeach Bush, Cheneyâ€

If anyone listens to Alex Jones or reads his news reports on infowars.com, you learn that this sort of thing is going on ALL over the country.
    He says, time and time again while the illegals are allowed to invade our streets without question, American citizens are the ones who are being harrassed for exercising their constitutional rights.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE ILLEGAL ALIENS.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT AL QAEDA.
    IT'S ABOUT US!

The Police State has arrived. Very frightening.