Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hu introduced as President of Taiwan

http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmor...ummit&id=87110

Friday, April 21, 2006 (Washington DC):

The summit between Chinese President Hu Jintao and US President George W Bush began with a gaffe.

An announcer referred to China by the formal name of its rival, Taiwan, which China considers a rebellious province.

As Bush and Hu stood at attention outside the White House, an announcer said, "Ladies and gentlemen, the national anthem of the Republic of China, followed by the national anthem of the United States of America."

"Republic of China" is the formal name of the island 100 miles off the Chinese mainland. China is known formally as the "People's Republic of China".

Sensitive issue

Taiwan is the most delicate issue for China. Beijing claims sovereignty over the self-governing island, which split from the mainland in 1949 as the civil war ended on the mainland.

The losing nationalists fled the communists and established their rump state on the island and for many years claimed to be the rightful government of all China.

Recent Taiwan governments have spoken of formal independence, which China has said repeatedly might be met by military force.

The diplomatic faux pas was followed by the interruption of Hu's speech by a protester located on the media risers at the edge of the South Lawn fence who began shouting out as Hu spoke.

She was protesting the alleged mistreatment of practitioners of the Falun Gong spiritual movement in China.

Hu and his translator, although aware of the demonstrator, continued with their speech while the shouts continued.

Finally, White House security removed the woman from the crowd.

At the end of the ceremony, Bush was seen apparently tugging at the Chinese President's jacket, to prevent him from leaving the podium. (AP)

I'm not suprised. Bush confuses the US with Mexico all the time.

Yeah, My Wife. Goes what the heck. When Bush said that. MY wife is Chinese. She goes oh I bet Hu is pissed off.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Who is pissed off?
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Hue & Bush

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Of course this little fiasco was the butt of many jokes. Jay Leno showed some of these clips on his show last night.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hue went to see the top leaders in America before going to see Bush. He went to the heads of corporations like Bill Gates of Microsoft.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Who went where?

Should it surprise us that he came on the birthday of one of the worlds most evilest of men that once lived.

I love the pics!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

In my opinion, people like Hu shouldn't be allowed to visit this country. What would have happened if there had been an attack against him while he was here? The same way with Bush going abroad. It is a foolish move. I really resent my tax dollars being used for the president to consort with communists on any man's soil.

Michael Savage caught the mistake right away yesterday. I think they should be embarrassed. Also, Bush seemed like he wasn't happy having to go through the motions for this barely welcomed visitor. He never had a smile on his face and it looked like a forced frown. They didn't even give Hu the courtesy of a dinner.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast