How common are rubella and congenital rubella syndrome?

Since the rubella vaccine was introduced in 1969, cases of rubella and CRS in the United States have remained low. However, cases are reported in persons who were infected in countries that do not routinely provide rubella vaccination (imported rubella). Although CRS is preventable, up to 7 infants are born with CRS each year.

In unvaccinated populations, rubella is primarily a childhood disease. When children are well immunized, adolescent and adult infections become more evident. Since 1994, most rubella and CRS cases were associated with outbreaks among adults, and 75% of all rubella cases were among persons 15-44 years of age.
http://www.dhpe.org/infect/rubella.html

What this last sentence tells us is that left to itself, it is achildhood illness, and of course people have to have enough common sense to keep their infected children away from others, we know some do not have that common sense.

In our crowded society, and with the amount of unchecked illegal aliens, we can expect that someone with a compromised immunity, and pregnant women, could come in contact with someone who carries an illness that can affect them adversely. I worry constantly about things like TB, we have all heard the stories of the drug resistant one.....

The people I know who have had some immunizations for their kids, and have avoided others, know to keep their kids away from everyone when there is that illness going around, not so much for their kids to not get it, but for the spread factor. The same can go for most kinds of flu. My father died five years ago from COPD (smoking) and whenever one of us even had the slightest sniffles, we have to stay away till we were all well. In the end, it was being in the VA Hospital near a room with a man off of the streets, who had caught the flu and then pneumonia, my father got the flu, and it took him down to, it weakened him so much he was never able to recover. Never once did he get sick from one of us, it was from the hospital.