December 6, 2010

Jerry Brown addresses GOP lawmakers, urges cooperation

Gov.-elect Jerry Brown urged bipartisan cooperation at a closed door breakfast of Republican lawmakers this morning, mounting something of a charm offensive as the Legislature reconvenes.

The address was well received, with both Brown and Lt. Gov-elect Gavin Newsom crowded for photographs afterward.

"I just told them it's a rich state but we have a very difficult budget and I look for them to get out of their comfort zone, just like I'll ask the Democrats," Brown said after his address, at the Sheraton Grand Hotel in Sacramento.

He said he will "work closely" with Republicans and seek suggestions from them for ways to close an estimated $25.4 billion budget deficit.

"You don't want anybody hiding out, but coming forth on how they would close the gap, instead of just standing in the shadows and letting somebody else worry about it," Brown said. "We're all going to work together."

Brown said he has "a lot of ideas" about how to close the deficit.

The 72-year-old former governor met with incoming Democratic lawmakers over dinner Sunday night.

He also toured lofts in downtown Sacramento that day.

"I want to live as close to the Capitol as possible," he said.

Brown said he plans to rent - not buy - a loft, but he declined to say which ones he viewed.

"I don't want to tell you because some one might bid up the price," he said.

Brown said he is "working on the budget most of the time" and was in his office Sunday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. doing so.

Brown has invited lawmakers to a Wednesday forum to discuss the magnitude of California's budget crisis.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlat ... akers.html