Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Judge Orders Teen to Have Cancer Treatment

Judge Orders Teen to Have Cancer Treatment
    By SONJA BARISIC, AP

NORFOLK, Virginia (July 22) - A judge ruled Friday that a 16-year-old boy fighting to use alternative treatment for his cancer must report to a hospital by Tuesday and accept treatment that doctors deem necessary, the family's attorney said.
    The judge also found Starchild Abraham Cherrix's parents were neglectful for allowing him to pursue alternative treatment of a sugar-free, organic diet and herbal supplements supervised by a clinic in Mexico, lawyer John Stepanovich said.
    Jay and Rose Cherrix of Chincoteague on Virginia's Eastern Shore must continue to share custody of their son with the Accomack County Department of Social Services, as the judge had previously ordered, Stepanovich said.
    The parents were devastated by the new order and planned to appeal, the lawyer said.
    Stepanovich said he will ask a higher court on Monday to stay enforcement of the order, which requires the parents to take Abraham to Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters in Norfolk and to give the oncologist their written legal consent to treat their son for Hodgkin's disease.
    "I want to caution all parents of Virginia: Look out, because Social Services may be pounding on your door next when they disagree with the decision you've made about the health care of your child," Stepanovich said
    Phone calls to the Cherrix home went unanswered.
    The lawyer declined to release the ruling, saying juvenile court Judge Jesse E. Demps has sealed much of the case.
    Social Services officials have declined to comment, citing privacy laws. After three months of chemotherapy last year made him nauseated and weak, Abraham rejected doctors' recommendations to go through a second round when he learned early this year that his Hodgkin's disease, a cancer of the lymph nodes, was active again.
    A social worker then asked a judge to require the teen to continue conventional treatment. In May, the judge issued a temporary order finding Abraham's parents neglectful and awarding partial custody to the county, with Abraham continuing to live at home with his four siblings.
    07-22-06 02:01 EDT
    http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/ju ... 0000000001

that sucks
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

Welcome to the gustopo!
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Freedom? Whatever happened to privacy? This should be only a family decision. Whether or not we agree.

There is a MAJOR difference between child abuse and neglect, and alternative medical decisions.

I've had to honor people's different religious convictions which caused one of them to die (refused blood). It was her right, her decision and was honored respectfully. She was surrounded by those she loved, who agreed and supported her. We did everything else we could, and she voiced appreciation for the courtesy and dignity, with which I treated her, although I didn't agree.

To have to share the custody of you child with gov't , because a judge and social worker don't agree with you....

I know this type of thing happens all over the country, have seen cases like this in Miami. But now that I'm with my grandson...
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

I can understand his not wanting treatments. Heck, didn't Steve McQueen go to Mexico for those treatments on his own accord, as have a lot of movie stars? Nothing was said about that. Just because the boy is only 16 he HAS TO BE FORCED to take those treatments? I mean, the boy is dying. Why not let him die the way he chooses?
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

Why not let him die the way he chooses?
    Amen, Ruth.

He's already been through chemo and it didn't work. Enough. His and his parents choice.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

My girlfriend's son went there. It really was a farce.

GESTAPO is right!
    What happened to oiur right to choose? We can choose to end life, the judges can demand we kill innocent ill people. How about OUR RIGHT to decide. How much more upside down can this get?

Heard this kid in a radio interview this week. Sounds mature and on the ball. I was impressed with him. His strength eminated through the air.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This kid's family has the right to choose what health care they want to decide on. What gives a judge the right to choose for them?

What's next a dentist suing to give a root canal rather than having the tooth pulled? Welcome to the UN Run AMERIKA.

I would fight this in a higher court.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

This is the start of a very bad thing! More and more parents rights over their children are being taking away. to force this kid to go through Chemo and radiation therapy, it was just chemo last time, now they have added radiation, it will be a terrible thing for him, it is a kill or cure, thing, most likely it will kill him! I would have took my child and left the country before I let the government do what they are doing to this family.I still say, this kid is 16 why don't he hire a lawyer and file for Emacipation?
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    This kid's family has the right to choose what health care they want to decide on. What gives a judge the right to choose for them?

What's next a dentist suing to give a root canal rather than having the tooth pulled? Welcome to the UN Run AMERIKA.

I would fight this in a higher court.
    If I heard correctly during the interview, he said that they were going to continue to fight it. But I do think the issue was the 'court time period.'
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

nitty,

this kid is 16 why don't he hire a lawyer and file for Emacipation?

They may not have the money to do that, particularly after all the medical bills, for him.
    TIME'S UP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast