The last Thanksgiving before (GD2) Great Depression 2?By David Chu
Online Journal Guest Writer

Nov 27, 2008, 00:16

Happy Thanksgiving, America!

Enjoy this wonderful family and friends celebration while you still can.

Because around the corner lurks GD2. More about this vile monster later.

Thanksgiving, U.S.A.

I remember fondly the Thanksgivings I used to spend with the Catholic family of my ex-wife in Southern California. I only mentioned that they are Catholic to emphasis that these festive celebrations were large gatherings. They usually took place either in Anaheim where her parents lived or in Orange where her uncle and aunt lived.

Thanksgiving in southern California is a special time. Weather is not cold as it is in most parts of the U.S. There is no snow on the ground. It feels more like a late summer than an early winter.

Usually, there would be almost 40 family members including a lot of grown-up kids and grandkids. The beloved matriarch who held this family together is an incredible lady whose first name is Gloria, having been born on Easter day in 1924. Gloria was one of these rare ladies whose refined manners and compassion could straighten out any delinquent and stray youth, and she did do that during her teaching days at a community college in Anaheim.

Even though I didn’t make it to her funeral (she passed away in 2005 after many years of courageously fighting a rare and painful lung disease), I respect this woman and consider her to be a true saint who touched the lives of many including mine. Because if there was ever an unassuming, flesh-and-blood saint that I have met in this lifetime, Gloria would be that one!

So I dedicate this “prescientâ€