Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

This whole situation is just nasty. I dont remember a time when our food supply was so unsafe...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AE

We have arbovitaes on one side of our yard, blocking out the neighbors backyard butcherings now, and we put up a fence to pen in our other side, so now it is safe enough for us to think of having a garden (if summer will ever rear it's head here), and not worry about midnight thefts of our produce or their children using it as a potty place.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

Also Crazybird, I spoke with a friend who also had grown up around chickens and other fowl, and her mother would use the hay that was in their pens, but she would let it sit like a compost pile, stir it around with other garden clippings and then after one year use it. She used to lecture about not using it before one years time.
    To be honest I wondered about it myself........I felt stupid enough so I never asked that question. Working at the chicken farm was the last job I figured I'd do. They laughed at me all the time with some of the questions I would come up with. I was a city slicker in farm country and didn't know squat about that stuff. If it didn't come from the store with a price tag on it......it was all new to me. What's a tassler? Isn't that horse dying, he's laying down? They didn't think I would last......spent the first week throwing up and the rest learning things I never really wanted to know. Did things I never thought I could do or could fathom doing in my worst nightmare. I wouldn't have made a very good pioneer woman. They got a number of good laughs from me but said I was a trooper for giving it all I had. I could still never kill though......just not in me......even though there were times it would end serious suffering for the bird. It pushed me to brink to touch a dead bird....forget killing one or butchering one like your neighbors. Got a long way to go be a survivalist.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This whole situation is just nasty. I dont remember a time when our food supply was so unsafe...
    Neither do I. But I assume it must have at one time because my mom cooked things to death. Never had anything that wasn't well done till I was in my 20's. My first time considering food safety was when they said no more licking the batter or eating cookie dough etc. because of the raw egg. So my kids never got the thrill of licking the beaters and stuff. It was a nice memory I had of my youth. But nothing like this.....usually it was as a result of poor refridgeration or cross contamination from the cook......now you can't be sure of anything.

AE

Crazybird, I let my kids eat batter all of the time. They fight over the cake batter on the mixer blades, and they eat raw cookie dough too. I think it is about getting your body used to a certain amount of bacteria a little at a time and then you can handle it. Of course I did not give it to them till they were about 3 or so, but no one has ever gotten sick.

As for the survivalist thing. It is all commons sense. Where I grew up, in school, it was all part of our learning. EVERYONE learned to swim in PE class, everyone learned to identify plants here, fish, make a fire and make a shelter. We went to Outdoor School in sixth grade and were taught all about plants that were edible, although I had already been taught by my parents, it was still fun for the "panty raids" we pulled on the boys cabin (and got in trouble for as we hoisted one pair onto the flag pole!).

I have gutted fish, and could do a bird if needed, but have yet to. According to my mother, don't get the chicken all wound up before you chop it's head off, she had one chasing her with no head!!

Truthfully, not many of us will have to butcher our own food, and that's ok, but these safety issues make you really think about what you are eating and who has touched it with what on their hands though .
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12