MCSO Hiring, Arpaio Says Veterans Go to Front of Line

Updated: Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011, 3:29 PM MST
Published : Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011, 3:29 PM MST

PHOENIX - The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office wants to fill 175 law enforcement positions, and says that military veterans returning from the Iraq War will be put in the front of the line.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio says he wants to do his part in helping qualified vets gain employment upon their return to civilian life.

Arpaio says all the military applicants he receives will be placed ahead of other applicants.

"My previous military service assisted me in beginning my law enforcement career with the Washington D.C. Metro Police Department in 1954. Now I have the authority to extend this opportunity to veterans today," Arpaio states.

"They are already a valued asset as they are accustomed to working in a strict chain of command structure, the Sheriff says, which allows for an easier transition into a new career in law enforcement."

To be considered, applicants must meet the strict requirements of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office in order to be offered a position. They will have to be physically and psychologically fit, and a background check has to come back clean.

Military veterans have a higher rate of unemployment than civilians -- by a difference of nearly 3 percent. This policy will remain in place from now on, according to a news release.

Last week, President Obama announced that 45,000 troops will come home from Iraq by the end of the year.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/money/j ... 10-26-2011