By CLEMENCE MICHALLON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM PUBLISHED: 17:20 GMT, 20 February 2016 | UPDATED: 00:19 GMT, 21 February 2016

Miami woman, 23, left in a coma after she was 'attacked by roommate she found on CRAIGSLIST who strangled her and cut her up on her birthday'

Danielle Jones, 23, has been in a coma for a week after the attack in Miami

Byron Mitchell, 35, has been arrested for attempted murder

He had moved in with Jones just a week before after they met on Craigslist

Mitchell says he acted out of self-defense and told police she had a knife

Jones's mother doesn't know if her daughter will wake up from her coma

A young woman from Miami has been in a coma for a week after her family said she was attacked by her roommate, a 35-year-old man she met on Craigslist.

Byron Mitchell assaulted Danielle Jones, 23, just a week after he moved in with her in a downtown Miami apartment, Jones's mother, Aimee Nikolove, said.

He strangled her and cut her up on the night of her 23rd birthday, NBC reported.

Jones has a brain injury, multiple scars on her face and neck and Nikolove doesn't know if or when her daughter will wake up.

I'm still in shock, I can't comprehend that someone can do this to someone, mutilate them in such a way and try to kill them,' she told NBC.

'My daughter's face is cut up like he was going to take her face off. She has a brain injury, no one knows what the prognosis is.'

Kaitlin Cabot, Jones's cousin, said in a Go Fund Me post: 'She is in a coma, intubated and holding on to life... If and she wakes, she will need extensive care and rehabilitation.'

Mitchell has been charged for attempted murder and told the police he acted in self-defense as Jones had a knife.

He is now in custody without bond at Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center, in Miami.

Read more: Miami woman left in coma after she 'was attacked by male roommate found on Craigslist'