Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Midwestern illegal alien students facing deportation

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicani ... ation.html

A few beers and now this student faces deportation
    .Teresa Puente on 08.24.09 | 9 comments | .

The Obama Administration is blindly enforcing immigration laws that would end in the deportation of promising college students and recent graduates whose parents brought them to the United States as children.

.Rigo Padilla moved from Mexico to Chicago when he was 6 years old. He is now 21, a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and a graduate of Harold Washington College.

Herta Llusho moved from Albania to Detroit when she was 11. She is a student at University of Detroit Mercy and majoring in electrical engineering.

Walter Lara moved from Argentina to Florida when he was 3 years old. He graduated with honors from Miami Dade College.

Local leaders and politicians came together Monday in Chicago to support Padilla. But his case has a twist.

Padilla was arrested for drinking and driving in January. He admitted to police that he had "a few beers" while watching a football game with friends. He planned to only drive eight blocks from a friend's house to his own. He was stopped before he made it home after rolling through a stop sign.

Nobody was hurt in the incident and Padilla was given supervision, which under Illinois law wouldn't even result in a conviction, according to his immigration attorney Beatriz Sandoval.

But Padilla was reported to immigration officials and now the young man faces deportation to Mexico, a country he hasn't visited since he left more than 15 years ago.

"I do have a home here (in Chicago) and I want to stay here," said Padilla, who wears an ankle bracelet so immigration officials can track his movements.

President Obama has admitted the immigration laws are broken. And immigrant advocates said that if they are broken they should not be enforced until there is comprehensive immigration reform.They are right.

"The enforcement of immigration laws while we wait is causing a lot of human misery," Joshua Hoyt, executive director of the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, said at a press conference Monday.

Joshua Hoyt and Rigo Padilla deliver petitions to immigration offices Monday.
    .He added that the government should "stop the deportation of Rigo Padilla and to stop senseless deportations and enforcement while we wait for immigration reform."

Joining Hoyt were many officials, including Illinois Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky, several aldermen, including Ricardo Munoz, Manuel Flores and George Cardenas, and several state representatives, including Elizabeth Hernandez and Greg Harris.

Also there was Ricardo Estrada, executive director of Erie Neighborhood House. He has known Padilla since he was 12 years old.

"One mistake shouldn't determine the rest of his life. One mistake should not prevent him from pursuing all his goals. If that were the case, many of us would not have achieved the goals that we have," Estrada said.

Padilla and other students like him could benefit from the DREAM Act, sponsored by Illinois Sen. Richard Durbin. It would help legalize young immigrants who came here as children, have good moral character, and attend college or enlist in the military for at least two years.

The DREAM Act failed before in Congress in 2007, and Durbin recently reintroduced it.

There are other so many students out there in similar straits. I wrote about one student named Andrea on this blog a few weeks ago. I've been writing about undocumented youth for almost 10 years, and they still haven't found a way to become legal. Many of their stories are on the Web site Dream Activist.

Supporters rallied around Llusho and Lara this summer and have temporarily halted their deportations.

We shouldn't limit the potential of these young people who have so much to contribute. They didn't choose a life here since they were brought to the United States by their parents. They have been educated here and we shouldn't take away their future.

Padilla said he would like to stay in the U.S. and become an immigration attorney.

He has been on the honor roll, volunteered at community organizations and was president of an organization of Latin American students at Harold Washington College. He didn't even learn he was undocumented until he was 17 when a school counselor asked him about his Social Security number. His parents told him he didn't have one.

Yes, he made a mistake. Nobody was hurt. He has learned from it. But it makes no sense to send him back to a country where he has no support, a country that he doesn't know.

"I'm not sure what I would do in Mexico," Padilla told me. "...It's going to be hard and I'm not looking forward to it."
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Since they are being deported from the Midwest and are headed for warmer climes in November they should appreciate the change in weather.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"One mistake shouldn't determine the rest of his life.

That "one mistake" could've determined the end of someone's life.

One mistake should not prevent him from pursuing all his goals.

That "one mistake" could've prevented someone he killed from pursuing their goals.

If that were the case, many of us would not have achieved the goals that we have," Estrada said

And far too many American citizens have not lived to achieve their goals because of "mistakes" made by illegal aliens with no right to be in this country.

Any other non-issues you'd like to argue Estrada?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote:
    "Rigo Padilla moved from Mexico to Chicago when he was 6 years old."

I love this euphemism being widely used about illegal foreign nationals who were smuggled here by older family members when they were young! I even read about an obviously precocious young man who had "moved" from Argentina to Florida when he was only 3 years old, but is facing removal since he has finished (free public) high school. Unfortunately, immigration authorities found out about his "move" when he applied for college.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They May Have

Illegal Aliens and their supporters MAY have garnered a LITTLE more sympathy if they had approached their situations a little differently. Rather than MAKE DEMANDS from the host nation's people and government, they could have humbled themselves a little more and said "Thank you for what we HAVE received so far" and "PLEASE, may we stay and become a part of this great nation"

But NO. They chose to INSULT and OFFEND the population of this country and therefor have earned its wrath...By Calling us racists, flying the flags of their home nations, saying the southwest was stolen from them and its theirs, and even THREATENING us they have all but destroyed ANY hope of getting support from Americans...

I have NO SYMPATHY for these SOB stories at all. All I have to say to Illegals and their supporters anymore is "GET THE F OUT"

Quote Originally Posted by Texas2step
    Quote:
    "Rigo Padilla moved from Mexico to Chicago when he was 6 years old."

I love this euphemism being widely used about illegal foreign nationals who were smuggled here by older family members when they were young! I even read about an obviously precocious young man who had "moved" from Argentina to Florida when he was only 3 years old, but is facing removal since he has finished (free public) high school. Unfortunately, immigration authorities found out about his "move" when he applied for college.

Oh I know TS2.....like it's an excuse or somehow justifies it, especially when these "children" become adults and, knowing full well that they are illegally in this country, do not take any initiative to return home and try to return as legal immigrants.

I get so tired of this "Well, we're already here" argument......I once, without even thinking, responded to that remark by saying "Big freaking deal, my house had mice when we moved into it, that doesn't mean we let them stay for crying out loud"

The other one I love is the contention that these kids....especially the ones from Mexico......don't know the language, don't know the country or anyone there. Horse-pucks they don't

They were smuggled into this country and lived the life of kings, and now they should go home to better their own country. And don't give me the line about not being familiar with another country, when you can speak acceptable Spanish! And rather than studying at an American college, taking away a position from one here legally, there should be a serious examination of how the kid got here in the first place, and who their parents are.
    Deport them all, and let them take the lessons they have learned here at taxpayer expense to go fix the old country. They are not our responsibility, PERIOD!

Herta Llusho-This has to be a fake or made up name. I mean first the article is talking about a few beers and then Herta Llusho(Her the Llush O) is mentioned.

Padilla and other students like him could benefit from the DREAM Act, sponsored by Illinois Sen. Richard Durbin. It would help legalize young immigrants who came here as children, have good moral character, and attend college or enlist in the military for at least two years.
    So drunk driving is good moral character?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

"The enforcement of immigration laws while we wait is causing a lot of human misery," Joshua Hoyt, executive director of the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, said at a press conference Monday.
    Tough crap. IMO the immigration laws are not being enforced enough. If they were, these kids wouldnt be worried about being deported. They would already be in their home countries.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast