Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Missouri - TSA detains official from Ron Paul group

TSA detains official from Ron Paul group

by | Monday, April 6, 2009

The Transportation Security Administration is investigating the detention and harassment of a Ron Paul organization official by airport screeners, an incident that was caught on tape at a St. Louis airport.

Steve Bierfeldt, director of development for Campaign for Liberty, was selected for additional screening after officials spotted a metal box in his luggage that contained a large amount of cash and checks made out to the campaign.

Mr. Bierfeldt was attending his organization's regional conference in St. Louis and said he was keenly aware, as the situation unfolded March 29, of a controversial report issued to Missouri law enforcement officials intended to identify members of radical militia members.

"Militia members most commonly associate with third-party political groups," said the report, issued Feb. 20 by the Missouri Information Analysis Center. "It is not uncommon for militia members to display Constitution Party, Campaign for Liberty or Libertarian material. These members are usually supporters of former presidential candidates Ron Paul, Chuck Baldwin and Bob Barr."

Mr. Bierfeldt was carrying Campaign for Liberty bumper stickers and other campaign literature, and was interrogated by TSA screeners and airport police at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport for nearly a half-hour before being allowed on his flight to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

The money he was carrying, more than $4,700, was in the form of cash and checks received from ticket sales, bumper stickers, books and other conference-related items.

Mr. Bierfeldt recorded the event on his iPhone, and provided a copy to The Washington Times for review. (Click here to listen to the audio)
    http://video1.washingtontimes.com/video ... rfeldt.mp3

On the tape, Mr. Bierfeldt is asked repeatedly where he works, where he obtained the money and why he was in St. Louis.

In each instance, Mr. Bierfeldt asked whether he was required by law to answer the questions.

"You want to play smartass, and I'm not going to play your f--ing game," the TSA official said.

Mr. Bierfeldt continued to refuse to answer, asking whether he was compelled by law to do so. The officers accused him of "doublespeak" and "acting like a child."

"Are you from this planet?" one officer asked.

The officers threatened to handcuff him and turn him over to the FBI and Drug Enforcement Administration for questioning.

"You're going to have to prove why you have so much money to the DEA," a second unidentified officer said.

"We're going to help you understand [the law]," the TSA official said.

As he was being led away by the officers questioning him in the recording, another unidentified officer approached the group and asked Mr. Bierfeldt whether he worked for Mr. Paul and whether the money was campaign contributions.

Mr. Bierfeldt responded, "Yes," and was told by that officer that he was "free to go."

But one of the detaining officers said he was "not all that ready to let him walk" back onto the concourse, and held him for another five minutes.

"I was not refusing to answer the questions. I was only saying, as per the law, 'Am I legally required to answer the questions?'" Mr. Bierfeldt later said in an interview with The Times.

"We are becoming far too eager to give away our liberties in the face of false security. We want to make our plane and we don't want a five-minute hassle so we are eager to give up our freedom, and that is unfortunate," Mr. Bierfeldt said.

"I don't believe I was legally required to tell them. Carrying cash is not a crime," Mr. Bierfeldt said. "It is a dangerous precedent if the government can order you to tell them where you get your money, and no law requires them to know where I work or where I spend my free time and where I go on vacation."

Asked whether his employment with Mr. Paul's committee prompted more scrutiny, Mr. Bierfeldt said: "I don't know, but it may not have helped that they were aware of where I worked.

"I was obviously with the campaign and I was aware of that report. I didn't want to tell them off the bat that I worked for the campaign and Ron Paul, because the report said we were potential members of the militia, and that's why I asked what my rights were," Mr. Bierfeldt said.

Mr. Paul, a U.S. House member and honorary chairman of the grass-roots lobbying organization, said he was "rather shocked" by the incident.

"This sort of encounter is a sign of bad things to come," said the Texas Republican and 2008 presidential-primary contender.

"People need to know their rights, and law enforcement officers, even if their intentions are noble, should never be allowed to bully and detain law-abiding citizens," Mr. Paul said. "SteveĀ“s experience is a prime example of how our liberties are in real peril and that we need to wake up to what's going on in our country."

The TSA issued a statement Friday confirming that the metal box triggered the "need for additional screening," but said the behavior of the screening officer was inappropriate.

"Because the box contained a number of items including a large amount of cash, all of which needed to be removed to be properly screened, it was deemed more appropriate to continue the screening process in a private area," the statement said.

"The tone and language used by the TSA employee was inappropriate. TSA holds its employees to the highest professional standards. TSA will continue to investigate this matter and take appropriate action," the statement said.

The Homeland Security agency further explained that carrying large amounts of cash through airport checkpoints "may be investigated by law enforcement authorities if criminal activity is suspected."

"As a general rule, passengers are required to cooperate with the screening process. Cooperation may involve answering questions about their property, including why they are carrying a large sum of cash. A passenger who refuses to answer questions may be referred to appropriate authorities for further inquiry," the TSA said.

Mr. Bierfeldt made his flight on time and said he had not decided whether to file a formal complaint against the officers or the agency.

"Everyone in these types of situations needs to stand up for their rights," said Mr. Bierfeldt, whose organization describes itself as supporting constitutional ideals and a free-market society.

The Campaign for Liberty already had objected to Missouri's militia report. On March 24, Missouri Department of Public Safety Director John Britt sent a letter to all the named candidates acknowledging the state had made a mistake.

"I have ordered that the offending report be edited so as to excise all reference to Ron Paul, Bob Barr and Chuck Baldwin and to any third-party political organizations," Mr. Britt said. "Additionally, you may rest assured that the report is not posted on any website maintained by the State of Missouri."

"The Missouri Department of Public Safety regrets any inconvenience or issues caused inadvertently by the unnecessary inclusion of certain components by MIAC in its militia report," Mr. Britt said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... aul-group/
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

I would definitely press charges, if I were him. TSA agents have gotten way too "big for their britches". Somehow I don't see how it's ok for TSA agents to harass law-abiding citizens while law enforcement officers are told to treat illegal aliens with kid gloves.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

If a TSA officer would have treated a Muslim, an illegal invader, or anyone else who belongs to a protected class in this country like that, there would already be a lawsuit filed against the TSA, alleging racial discrimination and harassment.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think it is outrageous that this guy was "detained" and treated like this. I was terribly angry when he was finally released and the TSA idiot said he wasn't sure if he wanted this guy in the airport because he still looked suspicious. Looks like the TSA thinks they are above the law and Americans have no rights. I hope this guy files a complaint. We have been ask to completely give up our Constitutional rights out of fear our government has created.
    Certified Member

MW
    Let me play the devils advocate on this one. Is it inconceivable to think the TSA personnel were doing the job that they were hired to do. Finding $4,700 in cash on someones person does bring questions to mind, especially in these times of heightened drug cartel activity, smuggling, etc. The whole incident could have been averted if Mr. Bierfeldt would have just told them were the money came from - no penalty, no foul - case closed. If Mr. Bierfeldt was seeking publicity, his acts of defiance certainly worked.

At what point is it okay for airport authorities to question people that are carrying large sums of money? Wouldn't ignoring such situations allow a lot of bad guys a free pass for transporting drug money, smuggling payoffs, and such?

Something to think about.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We can't have it both ways. We laud TSA when they question and catch the bad guys, but we immediately start calling for law suits when they hold up "one of ours." We can't pick and choose what we'd like to follow. That's what we accuse the illegal aliens of doing.

Look, we're in difficult times and I don't care that this Steve B person was aware of the Missouri report. All he had to do was answer the questions. How many of us have said that we wouldn't mind the extra scrutiny if it meant we were safer? And yet when it happens people say it's wrong. WTH? The tone changed when Steve B refused to cooperate. The choice was his and the situation was his doing.

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Let me play the devils advocate on this one. Is it inconceivable to think the TSA personnel were doing the job that they were hired to do. Finding $4,700 in cash on someones person does bring questions to mind, especially in these times of heightened drug cartel activity, smuggling, etc. The whole incident could have been averted if Mr. Bierfeldt would have just told them were the money came from - no penalty, no foul - case closed. If Mr. Bierfeldt was seeking publicity, his acts of defiance certainly worked.

At what point is it okay for airport authorities to question people that are carrying large sums of money? Wouldn't ignoring such situations allow a lot of bad guys a free pass for transporting drug money, smuggling payoffs, and such?

But then you have to ask yourself, did TSA stop Mr. Bierfeldt because they suspected he was transporting money for a drug cartel, or did they really stop him because of the erroneous memo that was sent out accusing people with Ron Paul material as being suspected terrorist? We all know how inaccurate the "No Fly List" is that TSA uses. I have little doubt they would also use this memo.

There comes a point in time when Americans have to stand up and say enough is enough. We are fed up with having our civil right trampled on and taken away. If we all just sit back and allow this to keep going on, then how wrong was Eric Holder when ha said we are a Nation of cowards?

I have a funny feeling that Bierfeldt wanted to make a scene to get publicity, but the point he made correct. What are our rights when it comes to TSA? Are they allowed to completely toss our Constitultional rights in the garbage and we have to smile and put up with it? If the police stop you, by law...you do not have to say anything. I think most attorneys are going to advise you to not talk. In this country we are still innocent until proven guilty, we still have laws again unreasonable search and seizure, we still have a rights to privacy. TSA is till not above the law. I think what people need to do is quit flying. Let the airline industry put pressure on TSA to respect our rights and teat us with some form of dignity or go out of business.

I'll never for get the time I watched TSA in the Atlanta airport drag a very old woman in a wheel chair with oxygen, out of her chair. TSA and her nurse had to hold her up so they could physically search the old woman. This is an agency that is out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by StephR
    Look, we're in difficult times and I don't care that this Steve B person was aware of the Missouri report. All he had to do was answer the questions. How many of us have said that we wouldn't mind the extra scrutiny if it meant we were safer? And yet when it happens people say it's wrong. WTH? The tone changed when Steve B refused to cooperate. The choice was his and the situation was his doing.
    So where do we draw the line? What if it makes us safer if the police have the right to search our homes to make sure terrorists, illegals and drug cartel members are not hiding? Are we going to give us that Constitution right in the name of feeling better? We wer told by the Bush administration that it was ok for the government to listen to our phone conversations in the name of making us safe from terrorists. So we give up this right too? I am not willing to give up any of my Constitutional rights for any reason. Our government needs to figure out a way to keep us safe without giving up our fight and freedom. Using that line of reasoning, the liberals say taking our guns make us all safer? Yet millions of us fight every day to keep our Constitutional right to own guns.

Sorry, but the time I spent in Vietnam watching people die every day in the name of freedom is not going to be wasted watching our government chip our our own rights to freedom every year.

One time I was coming back into the USA and immigration pulled my family out of line and started asking personal question. Despite signs all over the place telling how everyone will be treated with respect and dignity they shoved my 75 year old mother when she tried to ask questions. I raised hell and demanded a supervisor and refused to give them any more information that was on my passport. Its none of their business where I work or any of the other questions they were asking me. I am an American citizen, I have broken no laws and was not going to tolerate having my right trampled on and being treated without dignity. The supervisor apologized to me and let us go and my family received a letter of apology after I got my Congressman involved. I am not going let any member or my family treated like some kind of criminal so others can feel a little safer. This is America not Communist China.
    Certified Member

But then you have to ask yourself, did TSA stop Mr. Bierfeldt because they suspected he was transporting money for a drug cartel, or did they really stop him because of the erroneous memo that was sent out accusing people with Ron Paul material as being suspected terrorist? We all know how inaccurate the "No Fly List" is that TSA uses. I have little doubt they would also use this memo. ?
    Who knows why they stopped him. It could be because he fit certain parameters. And carrying a large amount of cash is a flag. Refusing to answer why he was a carrying it is a bigger flag. Because yes, he could have been a drug mule. Anyone of us could be. It could be they read the terrorist memo. It could be the TSA agent was in a bad mood. The point is, Mr. Bierfeldt had a choice on how to react. I believe he set out to prove a point and in turn muddied the already dirty water.

The "No Fly List" may be inaccurate, but for every negative story there's a positive one of it working that we don't hear. Since 9-11, my family has been on the "Red Flag List" simply because my husband shares the same name with our state Senator - right down to the middle initial. We know that every time we fly, we are going to be stopped and searched and if we choose to fly, we plan accordingly. It's nothing more than a simple hindrance and we get to decide how easy or hard we're going to make it.

There comes a point in time when Americans have to stand up and say enough is enough. We are fed up with having our civil right trampled on and taken away. If we all just sit back and allow this to keep going on, then how wrong was Eric Holder when ha said we are a Nation of cowards?
    In no way to I advocate sitting back and letting it happen. But at what point do we make the smart decision to take it on at the top? Bierfeldt had a point to prove and decided to take on the little guy and make a scene. Was he really going to change anything by antagonizing the TSA agents? Always a dumb move, and if you ask me done out of the politics of wanting media attention.

Quote Originally Posted by MW

You certainly have some good points that I do agree with.

The parts that bother me are that TSA saw the campaign literature he was carrying, what percentage of the $4700 was in cash, some were checks (made out to Campaign for liberty? Ron Paul??) and that memo.
    Did Bierfeldt feel he would have been treated worse if he had answered the questions? I wish he had answered the questions and had seen the result.

These guys let their "power" go to their heads. The disrespect they show passengers in unacceptable.
    "

One time I was coming back into the USA and immigration pulled my family out of line and started asking personal question. Despite signs all over the place telling how everyone will be treated with respect and dignity they shoved my 75 year old mother when she tried to ask questions. I raised hell and demanded a supervisor and refused to give them any more information that was on my passport. Its none of their business where I work or any of the other questions they were asking me. I am an American citizen, I have broken no laws and was not going to tolerate having my right trampled on and being treated without dignity. The supervisor apologized to me and let us go and my family received a letter of apology after I got my Congressman involved. I am not going let any member or my family treated like some kind of criminal so others can feel a little safer. This is America not Communist China.
    First and formost, thank you for your service to the country and to me. We're a military family and I understand well what you've done. It's because of your sacrifices, and all our armed force personnnel, that we're able to have this discussion.

The questions they ask are the questions we want them to ask everyone coming into the U.S. Just because you look like an American doesn't mean you are. How many times has that point been brought up on these boards? You think that because you're an American you automatically get to pass Go? I'm an American and I don't think that. It is absolutely a pain in the butt to travel in and out of this country. And I do blame the government for a lot of this. If they would pay decent wages at the TSA, we wouldn't have so many wanna-be, failed the police test a$$hats as TSA agents.

But here's the thing, we all know that they're there. Until and unless things change at the top of the food chain, we all have to make the decision about how WE are going to make it easier on ourselves to get through TSA security when flying. We can be beligerent or we can get through.

When they touched your mother, you did the right thing, especially by contacting your Congressman. If we want the rules to change, we have to keep the pressure on the place where the rules are made. Antagonizing jerks just to prove a point makes Bierfeldt just as culpable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast