Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mitt Romney Outed As Anti-Gay High School Bully

Mitt Romney Outed As Anti-Gay High School Bully

By Adam Peck on May 10, 2012 at 11:50 am

Last year’s string of heartbreaking suicides by young members of the LGBT community who had been bullied by their classmates led hundreds of celebrities, sports teams, politicians and ordinary citizens to record “It Gets Better” videos. Even President Obama recorded one.

One politician who has not: Mitt Romney, who has been relatively silent on the issue. This morning, a story in The Washington Post reveals that the presidential candidate engaged in bullying behavior during his days at a prestigious preparatory school in Michigan:

John Lauber, a soft-spoken new student one year behind Romney, was perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality. Now he was walking around the all-boys school with bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye, and Romney wasn’t having it.
    […]
    A few days later, Friedemann entered Stevens Hall off the school’s collegiate quad to find Romney marching out of his own room ahead of a prep school posse shouting about their plan to cut Lauber’s hair. Friedemann followed them to a nearby room where they came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors.

Jason Horowitz spoke with five students who attended Cranbrook School at the same time as Romney, and all of them independently recalled the same story. Mitt Romney was asked about the Post’s story during a live radio broadcast with Fox News host Brian Kilmeade, apologizing before explaining that he didn’t remember many of the details of what took place: “Back in high school, I did some dumb things and if anybody was hurt by that or offended, obviously I apologize for that…I don’t remember that incident,” Romney said, laughing. “I certainly don’t believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual. That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s, so that was not the case.”

It seems odd that Romney would not recall such a bizarre event, especially since so many other students who were asked about it painted clear pictures of what transpired, but perhaps such “hijinks and pranks” were so frequent he has simply lost track of them all.

The article never discloses whether the victim John Lauber was actually gay, but a separate incident, in which Romney ridiculed a closeted gay classmate by sarcastically praising him with “atta girl!” comments, paints a troubling picture for the Republican Party’s presumptive presidential nominee. To date, Romney has not stepped forward to support any bills that seek to protect LGBT students from the kind of bullying that Romney himself participated in while in high school.

But the presumptive Republican nominee has made it clear where he stands on LGBT rights today, 50 years after the incident. Just this week he again affirmed his position that gay couples should not receive equal recognition under the law as straight couples do.

This all stands in stark contrast with President Obama, who less than 24 hours ago became the first sitting occupant of the Oval Office to endorse same sex marriage.

Mitt Romney Outed As Anti-Gay High School Bully | ThinkProgress
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

May 10, 2012

Romney apologizes for 'dumb' high school pranks

By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY Updated 38m ago

Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney apologized today for an incident in which he allegedly bullied a boy who was believed to be gay.

"I did some dumb things and if anybody was hurt by that or offended ... obviously I apologize," Romney said on Kilmeade & Friends, a radio show.

Romney said he doesn't remember an incident from 1965 described in The Washington Post. The story quotes five of Romney's classmates from Cranbook School in a Detroit suburb as saying he led a group of boys who pinned down John Lauber while Romney himself cut the boy''s "bleached blonde hair that draped over one eye."

Lauber was described in the article as being "teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality."

The Post story comes a day after President Obama said same-sex marriage should be legal, and the topic of gay marriage has taken center stage in the presidential campaign. The Democratic National Committee's rapid response team circulated the story in an e-mail.

Romney told radio host Brian Kilmeade that he wasn't "going to be too concerned" about the article.

"I don't remember that incident and I'll tell you I certainly don't believe that I ... thought the fellow was homosexual," Romney said. "That was the furthest thing from my mind back in the 1960s, so that was not the case."

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How Gracious: Obama Says Those Who Oppose Gay Marriage Are Not Mean-Spirited … Except for Romney, Who Picked on Some Gay Kid in 1965

Written by Jammie on Thursday, May 10th, 2012 at 10:47 am.

If you had any doubt this gay marriage stunt wasn’t orchestrated, I’ve got some oceanfront property in Kansas for you. President Obama said he recognized that those who oppose gay marriage, and even those who believe that the union should … Continued
    Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 05-10-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Is that better or worse than using cocaine and pot?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Moved article to

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay View Post
    Is that better or worse than using cocaine and pot?
    If you're comparing someone using pot for personal recreation to mocking or hurting another person's feelings, than I guess the same??? But I have to ask, why not alcohol instead? Why is pot always the go to "evil" drug?

And are you implying that Mittens used cocaine?? That would be hilarious if true. Or are you talking about Obama? For two people dead set on the war on drugs, funny how they flip-flop on drugs 40 years later. Oh and they both consume alcohol. Oh but that's perfectly fine, pot isn't though.

Banned
    CORRECTION REQUEST: WASHINGTON POST USES FALSEHOOD IN ROMNEY HIT PIECE

In a feature article published this morning, theWashington Post wrote the following about Stu White, a high school friend and classmate of Mitt Romney's, in reference to an alleged 1965 bullying incident involving of a fellow classmate: [emphasis added]

“I always enjoyed his pranks,” said Stu White, a popular friend of Romney’s who went on to a career as a public school teacher and has long been bothered by the Lauber incident.

Today, however, in an interview with ABC News, the same Stu White completely contradicts the Washington Post story:

While the Post reports White as having “long been bothered” by the haircutting incident,” he told ABC News he was not present for the prank, in which Romney is said to have forcefully cut a student’s long hair and was not aware of it until this year when he was contacted by the Washington Post.
    Because Mr. White had not been aware of the incident until this year, it was inaccurate and misleading for the Washington Post to report he had "long been bothered" by the incident

Correction Request: Washington Post Uses Falsehood in Romney Hit Piece

Banned
    May 10, 2012
    Cracks in the Washington Post story on Romney’s ‘pranks’ emerge

A question emerges in reading the Washington Post piece on Mitt Romney today: How can Romney’s old pal Stu White tell the Washington Post that he has “long been bothered by the Lauber incident” — and then later admit to ABC News that he was “not present for the prank” and “was not aware of it until this year when he was contacted by the Washington Post”?

This is curious.

The Washington Post story reports: “I always enjoyed his pranks,” said Stu White, a popular friend of Romney’s who went on to a career as a public school teacher and has long been bothered by the Lauber incident.
    But ABC News, says: “White was not present for the prank, in which Romney is said to have forcefully cut a student’s long hair and was not aware of it until this year when he was contacted by the Washington Post.”(Emphasis mine.)What are we to make of this?

Read more: Cracks in the Washington Post story on Romney’s ‘pranks’ emerge | The Daily Caller

By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY Updated 38m ago

Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney apologized today for an incident in which he allegedly bullied a boy who was believed to be gay. . .
    NO AMNESTY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast