Multiple absconders caught after Boomerang Thugs tip line

Updated: 07/20/2015 10:17 PM | Created: 07/20/2015 1:46 PM
By: Elizabeth Reed, KOB.com and Chris Ramirez, KOB Eyewitness News 4

New Mexicans proved Monday they're also tired of the repeat offenders in our state: more than 100 tips came into our first-ever Boomerang Thugs Tip Line.

Your calls led to the arrests of several criminals who were on the run, and dozens of other calls will help solve crimes.

KOB's series partnered with our state's law enforcement leaders while undercover agents spread across the state to respond to tips in real time. The results paid off instantly.

Someone turned in Manuel Chavez, who agents arrested shortly thereafter.

Tips also led to the capture of Dominic Pineda, Frank Becvar, Ashley Fisherman and Leanard Sanchez.

After seeing himself on our airwaves, Daniel Borrego also turned himself in.

"I often get asked, 'what does community policing mean?'" said State Police Chief Pete Kassetas. "This is community policing.

This is law enforcement and public safety in step with the community – helping us extract the bad guys out of our communities that are causing the problems. I appreciate KOB for having this partnership with us and I appreciate the community."

The series is about exposing the problems and bringing the stakeholders together to find solutions.

The missing piece of the puzzle was the community, and Monday night, it stepped up and helped put the fugitives away.

But the tips don't end tonight – law enforcement needs your knowledge every day of the year.

Police officers say detectives are only successful if they have their community's support. So moving forward, our state will only improve by working together.

A list of wanted fugitives can be seen here
. If you know any of them, email us with Share 4 or call (866) 416-9867.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s...l#.Va54VPlViko