Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Napolitano stands by 'extremism' report

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said she was briefed before the release of a controversial intelligence assessment and that she stands by the report sent to law enforcement that lists veterans as a terrorist risk to the U.S. and defines "rightwing extremism" as including groups opposed to abortion and immigration.

The outcry resulted in a demand from the head of the American Legion to meet with Ms. Napolitano, a request the DHS chief said she would honor next week when she returns to Washington from her current tour of the U.S.-Mexican border.

"The document on right-wing extremism sent last week by this department´s Office of Intelligence and Analysis is one in an ongoing series of assessments to provide situational awareness to state, local and tribal law enforcement agencies on the phenomenon and trends of violent radicalization in the United States," Ms. Napolitano said in a statement.

• Click here to download a PDF of the report.

"I was briefed on the general topic, which is one that struck a nerve as someone personally involved in the Timothy McVeigh prosecution," Ms. Napolitano said.

"Let me be very clear: we monitor the risks of violent extremism taking root here in the United States. We don´t have the luxury of focusing our efforts on one group; we must protect the country from terrorism whether foreign or homegrown, and regardless of the ideology that motivates its violence," Ms. Napolitano said.

• Related article: Legion objects to vets as terror risk

"We are on the lookout for criminal and terrorist activity but we do not — nor will we ever — monitor ideology or political beliefs. We take seriously our responsibility to protect the civil rights and liberties of the American people, including subjecting our activities to rigorous oversight from numerous internal and external sources," Ms. Napolitano said.

The nine-page document titled "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment," has caused an outcry from veterans groups, Republican lawmakers and conservative activists.

"Rightwing extremism," the report defines in a footnote on Page 2, goes beyond religious and racial hate groups and extends to "those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely."

"It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration," said the report, which also listed as suspect gun owners and veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

The American Legion on Tuesday criticized the report as unfairly stereotyping veterans.

"I am aware of the letter from American Legion National Commander (David) Rehbein, and my staff has already contacted him to set up a meeting next week once I return from travel. I will tell him face-to-face that we honor veterans at DHS and employ thousands across the department, up to and including the Deputy Secretary," Ms. Napolitano said.

"As the department responsible for protecting the homeland, DHS will continue to work with its state and local partners to prevent and protect against the potential threat to the United States associated with any rise in violent extremist activity," Ms. Napolitano said.

[Get Copyright Permissions] Click here for reprint permissions!
    Copyright 2009 The Washington Times, LLC

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... extremism/
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Re: Napolitano stands by 'extremism' report

Is she out of her ugly mind?

After these Tea Parties we need to have a party for JANET!

What kind should we have to celebrate an ignorant witch for DHS?

She needs a huge protest in her little backwards town..

Isn't she the one that didbn't think the crime from Mexico spilled over to America?

Only to have her city to be #1 in kidnapping?????
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Well, when I went to the Tea Party, we had vets all over......funny, safest I've felt in a long time. I was by a WW2 vet and they honored all vets and he just cried ...... I can imagine he's more stunned by what's happening now than anyone and genuinely appreciated being around people who haven't forgotten what it's all about.

I've seriously had it with this government trashing it's people, while they let the real whackos run free.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Rightwing extremism," the report defines in a footnote on Page 2, goes beyond religious and racial hate groups and extends to "those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely."

We have a constitutional right to reject federal authority if it gets in the way of state soveriengty. We have a constitutional right to reject federal authority when they go way beyond THEIR consitutional authority. What have we let this country become?

Quote Originally Posted by agrneydgrl
    Rightwing extremism," the report defines in a footnote on Page 2, goes beyond religious and racial hate groups and extends to "those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely."

We have a constitutional right to reject federal authority if it gets in the way of state soveriengty. We have a constitutional right to reject federal authority when they go way beyond THEIR consitutional authority. What have we let this counry become?
    So basically all libertarians are rightwing nutjobs? Good to know

So basically all libertarians are rightwing nutjobs? Good to know
    They lump us all together. The government wants to blame it on the Republicans.
    Many are Independents, Constitutionalists and Libritarians.

I'd say many of the Democrats are disappointed and more come on everyday.
    Obama does something against America at least once a day!
    He's such an Elitest and so is his Posse.
    They have no clue as to the life of a normal working American.
    Sounds like Obama's childhood was more like Halloween that an American Experience.
    Which is why we need this imposter out of the WHITEhouse!
    He's a traitor and a very dangerous man.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Madam Secretary, I am against illegal immigration and abortion. According your DHS document I am a rightwing extremist. When are you going to prosecute me? When you prosecute me etc will be separating my family and my children will be crying when you come and take me away. That's not fair Madam. You cannot separate families, that's not fair!!!! Pout pout pout

So, they keep tabs on ALL radical, extremist threats in this country, do they?

Then they won't mind making public the report compiled on groups such as the NCLR, ACLU, the Brown Berets, blah, blah, blah, barf, barf, barf?

We'd like to see it Janet.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I knew Janet Napolitano woud be a mistake. So anyone against Obama or those of us who disagree with this administration are "rightwing extremists"? That would make a majority of all Americans.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This kind of profiling of any kind of extremism has been going on in the murky halls of government for years, unknown to any of us. But releasing such a one-sided view is doing no one any good. I am sure every good, taxpaying citizen can see a piece of themselves in all the ideas outlined. And word to DHS, left wing pro-illegal liberals can also be nuts, as per W's videos. Get message?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast