Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC Senate Approves Bill Requiring Photo ID to Vote

Senate Approves Bill Requiring Photo ID to Vote

The North Carolina Senate on Wednesday passed a hugely popular, common-sense bill that requires North Carolinians to show a photo ID when they vote.

Requiring voters to show a photo ID will boost their confidence and increase participation at the polls, two things the governor should join most North Carolinians in supporting. If she is serious about protecting the integrity of elections instead of scoring political points with her liberal base, she will sign this bill.

Let’s wait and see if the governor vetoes this one. 75% of all voters want a photo ID bill and believe it will add confidence and help ensure every vote is a valid and legal vote. We will see…

From a newsletter I recieved
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-story-a ... 6981.story

Voter ID mandate gets NC legislative approval
    RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)— Republican-backed legislation requiring North Carolina voters to show picture identification before casting a ballot they know will count is headed Thursday to Gov. Beverly Perdue's desk, and fellow Democrats urged her to veto the measure.

The House agreed to minor changes to the bill approved Wednesday night by the Senate. The House vote of 62-51 was well short of the margin that would be needed to withstand a veto. Her office has been critical of GOP efforts to place additional hurdles on voting in a state with history of civil rights restrictions during the Jim Crow era.

A separate bill expected to be considered later Thursday on the House floor would end straight-ticket voting and same-day voter registration during the early voting period and a return to partisan judicial elections.

"Anything that lessens the ability of a voter in North Carolina to register, to actually vote when they get there ... and to have their vote to count, we hope that she will veto it," House Minority Leader Joe Hackney, D-Orange, told reporters shortly after the voter ID bill's passage.

Perdue spokeswoman Chrissy Pearson said she didn't know if Perdue was ready to speak on the voter ID and other measures heading her way in the closing days of the regular annual session of the General Assembly.

The legislation requires a person arriving at a precinct to show one of eight forms of photo ID, including a new voter card available for free from county election boards. Without the ID, people could still cast provisional ballots but would have to prove their identity later.

GOP leaders say the bill will discourage voter fraud and ensure that people who come to the polls aren't turned away because someone unlawfully voted using their name. The bill is modeled on laws in Georgia and Indiana that have been upheld by the courts.

"I don't think it's too much to ask of our voters to say and to be able to prove who they are," Sen. Debbie Clary, R-Cleveland, said during Wednesday night debate in the Senate, which approved the restrictions along party lines.

Democrats say voters already face a felony if they vote using someone else's name and point out the problem is rare: The State Board of Elections referred 43 cases of potential fraud to district attorneys in 2008 and 21 in 2010.

Democrats panned the restrictions as part of a concerted nationwide effort by Republicans to discourage voting, especially among older adults and black residents. It comes in advance of an election year in which North Carolina is expected to be a battleground state in the race for the presidency.

"We need to do all that we can to enfranchise people, and we don't need to try to discourage them from participating in the political process," said Sen. Floyd McKissick, D-Durham.

President Barack Obama won the state's electoral votes by about 14,000 votes in 2008, ending a 32-year winning streak for Republican nominees in North Carolina. About 147,100 active black voters do not have photo ID, according to the election reform group Democracy North Carolina

All that BS out of the Democraps makes my blood boil!

Democrats say voters already face a felony if they vote using someone else's name and point out the problem is rare: The State Board of Elections referred 43 cases of potential fraud to district attorneys in 2008 and 21 in 2010.
    I'm sorry, 43 cases and 21 are 43 and 21 too many IMO. I don't think I've ever read that a true study had been done in NC.

House Bill 430
    2011-2012 Session
    Repeal Bilingual Ballot Instruction Statute.
    Text Fiscal Note
    Filed [HTML] -
    Edition 1 [HTML] -
    Sponsors
    Primary: Cleveland;
    Co: R. Brown; Cook; Hastings; Sager;
    Attributes: Public;

History
    Date Chamber Action
    03/22/2011 House Filed
    03/23/2011 House Passed 1st Reading
    03/23/2011 House Ref To Com On Elections

Found this one while I was looking for the number on the voter ID Bill

And this one
    House Bill 734
    2011-2012 Session
    Require Photo ID/Food Stamps Program.
    Text Fiscal Note
    Filed [HTML] -
    Edition 1 [HTML] HFN0734v1
    Edition 2 [HTML] -
    Sponsors
    Primary: H. Warren; L. Brown; Lewis; T. Moore;
    Co: Blust; Bradley; Burr; Cleveland; Collins; Cook; Dixon; Faircloth; Folwell; Hager; Hastings; Hurley; Ingle; Jordan; LaRoque; Moffitt; Shepard;
    Attributes: Public; Text has changed;

History
    Date Chamber Action
    04/06/2011 House Filed
    04/07/2011 House Passed 1st Reading
    04/07/2011 House Ref to the Com on Judiciary Subcommittee C, if favorable, Finance
    04/20/2011 House Reptd Fav Com Substitute
    Relevant document(s): PCS50302
    04/20/2011 House Re-ref Com On Finance

Note: a bill listed on this website is not law until passed by the House and the Senate, ratified, and, if required, signed by the Governor.

We all know there is a lot of ffraud in the use of food stamps