Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New Orleans protest!

I am putting this here because I think we are losing our rights with out of control tasering. These poor people already had Katrina they do need this treatment.This concerns the projects in New Orleans and the gov. said they will build them new housing but they want the hurricane damaged ones fixed.I heard this woman on CNN say she was peppered sprayed and tasered and she woke up in the ambulance.She was fortunate to wake up at all. I resized the picture.

Clash over public housing closure in N.O.
    Protests precede council vote; sweeping change to city expected
    Image: Protesters fall to the ground as New Orleans Police re-lock a gate outside the New Orleans City Council chambers.
    Alex Brandon / AP
    Protesters fall to the ground as New Orleans police close a gate outside the New Orleans City Council chambers as the council met Thursday to discuss tearing down public housing.
    View related photos

NEW ORLEANS - After violent clashes with police at City Hall, protesters vowed that the fight over a plan to demolish 218 public housing buildings for the poor was far from over, both in the courts and on the streets.

On Thursday, police used chemical spray and stun guns on protesters who tried to force their way into a City Council meeting where the members voted unanimously to allow the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to demolish 4,500 public housing units.

The vote allows demolition crews to begin tearing down the buildings within weeks unless they are blocked in the courts. Lawyers fighting the demolition say they have not exhausted their legal options.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement

Endesha Juakali, a protest leader arrested on a charge of disturbing the peace, said the confrontation with the council was not the last breath from protesters.

“For everything they do, we have to make them pay a political consequence,â€
    Thomas Jefferson said: When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty !

Sounds like some people that are not ready to change.

What those people that are complaining don't seem to realize is that the city does not have to provide any housing. Zero, nada, none...

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I feel bad for the Katrina victims, i truly do. However, most of those buildings were probably worn out anyway, and the hurricane made it worse. Why would these people protest against building new housing for the poor? I dont' quite understand this one.

As for tasering, would they rather get shot?

Also, I think it's obnoxious that opposers to the demolition, whatever their motivations might be, were kept out of a supposedly public city council forum. That's a load of crap, IMHO.
    Proud wife of an undocumented ICE agent.
    Definition of a RACIST according to Madeline Cosman : Real American Committed to Integrity Sovereignty and Truth

New Orleans protest!

Here is a link to a video on You tube about the protest in New Orleans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjWLqkJUPQ

corhanem posted
    I feel bad for the Katrina victims, i truly do. However, most of those buildings were probably worn out anyway, and the hurricane made it worse. Why would these people protest against building new housing for the poor? I dont' quite understand this one.
    I cannot say this is the way it is gong to be for sure but I heard the people who have lived there for 60 yeas are not going to be allowed to come back.The housing would be made more expensive thus displacing them.That is why they are fighting so hard for it was their home and it did belong to them.. Yes, I agree the projects needed to be fixed ,so do that but do not toss these people on the street or live in tents . I hope I am wrong on this and they are able to return.

It is hard to believe that with all the problems that the city had by hurricane Katrina that the French Quarter was not affected .

I
    Thomas Jefferson said: When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty !

The New Orleans Times-Picyune newspaper reports that local agencies have found at least temporary housing for the people camped in Duncan Park. The following is a quote:

"Advocates announced Friday that they relocated 249 of New Orleans' homeless encamped in Duncan Plaza, steps from City Hall, into apartments and temporary hotel rooms over the past month, in a hurried housing effort officials called unprecedented nationwide."

The paper also quoted members of the city council voting to demolish the four projects citing the age and dilapidated condition of the units as their primary reason. Also noted were efforts to obtain funding and cooperating landlords for more permanent low cost housing as an interim until new developments are in place. This includes up to 3000 vouchers especially targeted for people with physical and mental disabilities.

It looks like they are going in the right direction. Too bad it's taking so long.
    "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - POGO

I haven't been keeping up with it, but I do believe they is an effort to keep the poor people out of NO.

WE met a lady here in TExas whose mother owned a vacant lot. FEMA told her if she would not move back to NO and her mother would let her use that lot, they would buy her a double wide - and she went for it.

I think a lot of people with money and clout are interested in some of that prime property in NO. There was some talk right after Katrina that gambling enterprises had expressed desire to build there.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

New Orleans protest!

4rhHorsemen said
    "Advocates announced Friday that they relocated 249 of New Orleans' homeless encamped in Duncan Plaza, steps from City Hall, into apartments and temporary hotel rooms over the past month, in a hurried housing effort officials called unprecedented nationwide."
    Thanks for posting this for people should not be left stranded and it has been over 2 yrs since the hurricane.

nntrixie said
    I think a lot of people with money and clout are interested in some of that prime property in NO. There was some talk right after Katrina that gambling enterprises had expressed desire to build there.
    Wow, that is something !Thanks for posting about the gambling for that would explain a lot. N.O. does have a contract with Harrahs but I guess it could change. Someone posted on another thread ,follow the money and I guess it is all too true.

Re: New Orleans protest!

Quote Originally Posted by DEEDEE
    Here is a link to a video on You tube about the protest in New Orleans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjWLqkJUPQ

corhanem posted
    I cannot say this is the way it is going to be for sure but I heard the people who have lived there for 60 yeas are not going to be allowed to come back.The housing would be made more expensive thus displacing them.That is why they are fighting so hard for it was their home and it did belong to them.. Yes, I agree the projects needed to be fixed ,so do that but do not toss these people on the street or live in tents . I hope I am wrong on this and they are able to return.

It is hard to believe that with all the problems that the city had by hurricane Katrina that the French Quarter was not affected.
    That makes a little more sense. I was appalled when Katrina hit and all those people were left to rot. I was even more disgusted that our government that panders to every single third-world cesspool in the world couldn't find five minutes of time to put someone in charge of the cleanup and aid. I guess poor black people don't have oil, so they're not worth saving ...

And the gov is still denying that women (and children!) were being raped in the facilities and on rooftops!!
    Proud wife of an undocumented ICE agent.
    Definition of a RACIST according to Madeline Cosman : Real American Committed to Integrity Sovereignty and Truth