Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NO MORE POPCORN - BRITAIN!

British cinemas to ban popcorn

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 80/1/.html

LONDON : Munching popcorn at the movies could soon be a thing of the past in Britain as more cinemas are opting to ban the snack.

The Observer reported that this is due to a combination of health-conscious cinema goers rejecting sugar-coated, salted or butter-dripping popcorn and disgust at its distinctive smell.

Daniel Broch, the owner of the renowned Everyman cinema in London's Hampstead district, said, "I will de-popcorn every new venue I acquire. It has a disproportionate influence on the space in terms of its overwhelming smell, the cultural idea of it and the operational problems created by the mess it produces.

"I'm not saying no popcorn is better than popcorn," he added. "But I am saying there is no way in which it fits with the culturally sophisticated brand I wish to sell."

The Picturehouse Cinema, a chain of 19 cinemas across Britain, will experiment with popcorn-free screenings in September after audiences requested the ban. If successful, it will be rolled out across all its cinemas permanently.

However, there will still be a selected few that will continue to offer popcorn. The Curzon chain said it reinstated the snack in three of its cinemas after customers demanded it.
    - CNA

(ETHANOL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oh brother.

I suspect, if Britain is like the US, banning popcorn at the movie theatre will hurt ticket sales. My husband and I have cut down to sharing a small popcorn between the two of us when we go to see a movie to save money. Plus we go to matinees instead of evening shows. But going to the movie without any popcorn at all? Might as well stay home and rent a movie.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

Brits are strange. I love the smell of popcorn although I rarely eat any, and feel that in this day of corn shortage, the kernels could be put to better use, LIKE FEEDING OUR LIVESTOCK!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What corn shortage?? Apparently there is so much of the stuff, they just burning it as fuel!

What corn shortage?? Apparently there is so much of the stuff, they just burning it as fuel!
    LOL!!!!!!

SMART AND FUNNY; AM IN HEAVEN AT ALIPAC

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Brits are strange. I love the smell of popcorn although I rarely eat any, and feel that in this day of corn shortage, the kernels could be put to better use, LIKE FEEDING OUR LIVESTOCK!
    Do we really have any livestock? Or are we getting that from China too?
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."