Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

North Korea Torpoeded Gulf Rigs!

US Orders Blackout Over North Korean Torpedoing Of Gulf Of Mexico Oil Rig

Posted by Europe on May 01, 2010 | 66 Comments
    Listen to this article. Powered by Odiogo.com

North Korean Poster

A grim report circulating in the Kremlin today written by Russia’s Northern Fleet is reporting that the United States has ordered a complete media blackout over North Korea’s torpedoing of the giant Deepwater Horizon oil platform owned by the World’s largest offshore drilling contractor Transocean that was built and financed by South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd., that has caused great loss of life, untold billions in economic damage to the South Korean economy, and an environmental catastrophe to the United States.

Most important to understand about this latest attack by North Korea against its South Korean enemy is that under the existing “laws of warâ€
    Thomas Jefferson said: When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty !

This needs to be investigated pronto. I have suspected sabotage as a possible cause.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This could be HUGE! An EMP blast would set us back to the pre indutrial age and could possibly kill 9 out of 10 Americans.

I'm still trying to figure out why on earth Obama sent the SWAT team to that oil rig!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

if north Korea really did it. why did they stop at just one?

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    This could be HUGE! An EMP blast would set us back to the pre indutrial age and could possibly kill 9 out of 10 Americans.

I'm still trying to figure out why on earth Obama sent the SWAT team to that oil rig!
    I think the SWAT wasn't SWAT as we know it, it was the Soils Water Assessment Team or something like that out of the Minerals Management Division. Some reporter used the wrong acronym, since they don't use SWAT for that reason. It's something else.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I have read that it was an "equipment malfunction." But, considering the enormity of the circumstances, it seems to be a rather simplistic explanation. I have been wondering what really caused the explosion in the first place. It seems weird that an equipment malfunction caused the explosion...AND the auto shut off also malfunctioned. Not that it is impossible...just saying ....it is suspicious.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There are so many things it could be, but for so many things to have gone wrong at once, for a total destruction of this magnitude, a failure of three layers of shut-off mechanisms, and multiple breaches in the pipe itself ... it's quite an extraordinary failure. It will be very interesting to see the report from the investigation whenever they compile and report it.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    There are so many things it could be, but for so many things to have gone wrong at once, for a total destruction of this magnitude, a failure of three layers of shut-off mechanisms, and multiple breaches in the pipe itself ... it's quite an extraordinary failure. It will be very interesting to see the report from the investigation whenever they compile and report it.
    THREE? There were three shut offs? I had no idea there were three. Now I am suspicious. I am still not clear on what caused the original explosion that set off the chain of other failures. But you are right Judy. For all of those failures to occur in concert is extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353
    THREE? There were three shut offs? I had no idea there were three. Now I am suspicious. I am still not clear on what caused the original explosion that set off the chain of other failures. But you are right Judy. For all of those failures to occur in concert is extraordinary.
    Yes, there were 3 layers of shut-off mechanisms.

1. manual shut-off switches located at several difference locations

2. dead man's switch which is an automatic control switch that shuts down the well automatically when either communication or power is lost

3. submersible robotic shut-off where they take a submersible out-fitted with robotic arms, all the way down in the water to the blow-out preventer and use the robotics to cut the well off at the base of the blow-out preventer

All three efforts failed. There is another alternative for a 4th layer, an acoustics remote control shut-off system where you take the remote control device into a boat on the surface and you can shut it down using acoustics, but this well didn't have it. Some do, some don't. Whether it would have worked in this scenario we don't know. So, there's some very unusual sets of conditions that occurred at this well. One such is the fact that there are 3 leaks in the pipe. Another is the sinking of the entire rig. Another is the stages of the leak, small to none on day one, zero on day 2, then after the rig collapsed, new leaks occurred and they are major instead of small like the others.

Something has happened to virtually destroy the pipe casings and equipment underwater. They'll install a large dome over the well with a new pipe and feed the leak into tankers while they drill a new hole, install a new well and cut the leak off that way. The dome is supposed to be installed in another week or so, they said 8 to 10 days yesterday or the day before, and then it will take about 3 months to drill the new well hole and cap it off. It a movie. There are some very amazing things going on, technologically. Unfortunately, most of the news about this is all about the oil skim.

Some good news on the oil skim is it's light crude instead of heavy crude, and will disperse and then biodegrade much more easily than the heavy crude that spilled out of the Valdez. It's also summertime, warm weather, which contributes to the biodegradation of the oil. Oil hardens in cold weather like in Alaska making it much more difficult for nature to degrade it. There will still be impact, but the ecology can recover from it, it'll just take awhile.

Also, there was a lot of diesel on the rig used to operate the rig itself so while some of that burned in the fire there was probably some releases of diesel into the water too.

i strongly support a drill baby drill program, not just offshore but drilling more of our on-land domestic oil resources as well. I think we'll learn a lot from this tragedy and we should hold up on new permits until we know the precise cause or causes so the industry can establish solutions to prevent such a total failure as this in the future, and restore safety to this extraordinary technology of offshore drilling with new operations.

I'm also a protectionist and feel we should protect our industries and our resources for the benefit of our companies, workers and people. The Deepwater Horizon Well is 40 miles from our coasts, well within our established exclusive economic sea zone, which I think should be trade protected for American oil companies. This well is owned by BP, a British oil company. The rig was built by Hyundai, South Korean. The rig is owned and operated by TransOcean, a Swiss company. Sure, we have some subcontract participation in it, but there's nothing substantial about this Deepwater Horizon well that has anything to do with the United States, yet it's 40 miles from our coastlines ready to contaminate the shorelines and marshes of 4 states of the United States and hurt businesses in our country. So why do we let foreign companies into our Gulf of Mexico when there is no primary benefit to the US in return for the risk?

This just makes no sense at all. Free Trade Just Sucks. Our companies are banned from offshore drilling since the 90's yet foreign operators are approved to drill in the Gulf within our exclusive economic zone? Makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353
    Yes, there were 3 layers of shut-off mechanisms.

1. manual shut-off switches located at several difference locations

2. dead man's switch which is an automatic control switch that shuts down the well automatically when either communication or power is lost

3. submersible robotic shut-off where they take a submersible out-fitted with robotic arms, all the way down in the water to the blow-out preventer and use the robotics to cut the well off at the base of the blow-out preventer

All three efforts failed. There is another alternative for a 4th layer, an acoustics remote control shut-off system where you take the remote control device into a boat on the surface and you can shut it down using acoustics, but this well didn't have it. Some do, some don't. Whether it would have worked in this scenario we don't know. So, there's some very unusual sets of conditions that occurred at this well. One such is the fact that there are 3 leaks in the pipe. Another is the sinking of the entire rig. Another is the stages of the leak, small to none on day one, zero on day 2, then after the rig collapsed, new leaks occurred and they are major instead of small like the others.

Something has happened to virtually destroy the pipe casings and equipment underwater. They'll install a large dome over the well with a new pipe and feed the leak into tankers while they drill a new hole, install a new well and cut the leak off that way. The dome is supposed to be installed in another week or so, they said 8 to 10 days yesterday or the day before, and then it will take about 3 months to drill the new well hole and cap it off. It a movie. There are some very amazing things going on, technologically. Unfortunately, most of the news about this is all about the oil skim.

Some good news on the oil skim is it's light crude instead of heavy crude, and will disperse and then biodegrade much more easily than the heavy crude that spilled out of the Valdez. It's also summertime, warm weather, which contributes to the biodegradation of the oil. Oil hardens in cold weather like in Alaska making it much more difficult for nature to degrade it. There will still be impact, but the ecology can recover from it, it'll just take awhile.

Also, there was a lot of diesel on the rig used to operate the rig itself so while some of that burned in the fire there was probably some releases of diesel into the water too.

i strongly support a drill baby drill program, not just offshore but drilling more of our on-land domestic oil resources as well. I think we'll learn a lot from this tragedy and we should hold up on new permits until we know the precise cause or causes so the industry can establish solutions to prevent such a total failure as this in the future, and restore safety to this extraordinary technology of offshore drilling with new operations.

I'm also a protectionist and feel we should protect our industries and our resources for the benefit of our companies, workers and people. The Deepwater Horizon Well is 40 miles from our coasts, well within our established exclusive economic sea zone, which I think should be trade protected for American oil companies. This well is owned by BP, a British oil company. The rig was built by Hyundai, South Korean. The rig is owned and operated by TransOcean, a Swiss company. Sure, we have some subcontract participation in it, but there's nothing substantial about this Deepwater Horizon well that has anything to do with the United States, yet it's 40 miles from our coastlines ready to contaminate the shorelines and marshes of 4 states of the United States and hurt businesses in our country. So why do we let foreign companies into our Gulf of Mexico when there is no primary benefit to the US in return for the risk?

This just makes no sense at all. Free Trade Just Sucks. Our companies are banned from offshore drilling since the 90's yet foreign operators are approved to drill in the Gulf within our exclusive economic zone? Makes no sense at all.
    First, thank you so much for summarizing this for me. I have been trying to get information on the actual failures for days, but I have found mostly information on the spill itself...so thanks.

And I agree with you on letting only American companies drill in the vicinity of our shores. I believe in drilling our own oil, but it is not without risk. The way it is now, foreign companies reap the benefits of drilling off our coast while we take the risk. Only American companies should be allowed to drill off our shores so the benefits are ours, not just the risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast