Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Past haunts McCain here-The GOP has a long memory for positi

Past haunts McCain here
    The GOP has a long memory for positions outside the box.

By JENNIFER LIBERTO, Times Staff Writer
    Published January 22, 2008

JACKSONVILLE - Conservative talk radio pundits roar at him. Party insiders quietly grind their teeth. Columnist George Will calls him a closet Democrat.

As the presidential campaign unfurls across Florida, with candidates fanning out from South Florida to Pensacola on Monday, a central question undergirds the drama of who might win. The question is this: Why don't Republicans like Sen. John McCain very much?

He's a bona fide war hero, a high-profile defender of the war in Iraq, a consistent opponent of abortion and about the noisiest opponent of federal spending in the U.S. Senate.

Yet his two big primary victories, in New Hampshire three weeks ago and Saturday's vote in South Carolina, came because he was able to draw from a deep well of support among independent voters.

Among Republicans alone, McCain has yet to come in first, which is no idle statistic since Florida's primary is closed to independents.

"McCain has taken some positions that are not 'idealistically' within the very narrow limits of how people define conservative-ism," said Tom Slade, a McCain supporter and former Republican Party of Florida chair.

McCain says his naysayers within the GOP just don't like his tendency to call it like he sees it.

"I came here to Jacksonville to tell people what they want to hear," he said at a press conference at a private airport, "and sometimes what they don't want to hear."

But conservative voters don't see it quite that way.

"He doesn't always line up with what we believe in," said Chandra Judy, 34, of Orlando, who was waiting for Mike Huckabee to arrive. "I think it's not really distrust; I think they're looking at his record. When the issues came up, how did he vote?"

Her examples include McCain's support of an immigration bill, which he co-wrote with liberal icon Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts, that would have granted illegal immigrants a way to become citizens after paying fines and fees and meeting other requirements.

There are other votes, too. McCain opposed President Bush's tax cuts in 2001, and also voted against them in 2003. He said he opposed them first because they carried no companion restrictions on spending and then because the Iraq war had begun and he thought cutting taxes was ill-advised during war.

In 2006, McCain voted to extend the tax cuts because he said letting them phase out by then would have amounted to a tax increase.

But to Republicans who have watched McCain and winced, it isn't just that his positions have been bad. His timing has stung, too.

Republican consultant Brett Doster, who worked on Bush's campaigns, said McCain's public criticism of the early Iraq strategy irked administration supporters. McCain remains a vocal critic of the early strategy, and Doster said his early call for more troops still isn't recalled fondly by conservatives - even though McCain turned out to be right.

"For a lot of conservatives, there have been some real pressure points in this administration, and Republicans, as a whole, have kind of closed ranks," Doster said. "McCain was a contrarian at times when people didn't like it."

And another thing

Local Republican leaders are still smarting, too, over McCain's signature legislative victory, the McCain-Feingold Act, which sharply limited the role party money could play in federal elections.

"This really hurt McCain with all the people like me, the insiders, because we're the ones who are so affected by McCain-Feingold," said Palm Beach County Party chairman Sid Dinerstien, who is uncommitted. "But we're also the ones who vote in all the primaries and also are supposed to get out the vote. That's why he doesn't do so well in primaries."

The campaign finance law is just one of several examples of McCain working with a Democrat to advance his agenda, something McCain himself touts on the campaign trail. But for some Republican voters, McCain works just a little too easily with Democrats.

McCain was part of the so-called Gang of 14, a collection of mostly moderate senators from both parties who brokered an end to a high-stakes dispute over Bush's judicial appointments. Although the group struck a deal that helped Bush get some long-delayed judges seated, McCain's affinity for compromise wasn't entirely appreciated.

"There's been a number of things that he has done while he has been in the Senate," said Walt Bagley, 62, from Casselberry. "Being in the Group of 14 trying to control everything, trying to support amnesty on immigration, his law on campaign finance."

Adding fuel to the fire these days is the resurfacing of reports that back in 2004, McCain was initially receptive to the possibility of becoming the running mate to Democratic Sen. John Kerry.

"You vote for people, because you believe you share common values. But if on the big issues, you've got big differences, it causes you to question how much in common you have," said Paul Bedinghaus, former Pinellas County GOP chairman. "A voter doesn't want to have to wonder what his presidential choice is going to do in appointing justices to the Supreme Court."

Times staff writers David DeCamp and Adam Smith contributed to this report.

[Last modified January 21, 2008, 22:48:25]

Share your thoughts on this storyRead our guidelines for comments
    First Name (only)

Comment (May be published online and/or in print)

You have 250 characters left to comment.

Comments on this article by dr boom 01/22/08 09:53 AM
    We have a way of handling guys like McCain here. We put them on an ice flow and wave goodbye...

by Delaney 01/22/08 08:10 AM
    This man is a complete joke, we need to make sure he doesn;t get nomination, all the libs want him cause they know he will lose

by Pat 01/22/08 07:35 AM
    I despise McCain, he is no Republican, just a old cranky man who loves to get attention from the left by being the "maverick" and siding with them on many things. It makes me sick to see how the press fawns on him

by genry 01/22/08 04:43 AM
    ... as if old W has been a real conservative

by Rex 01/21/08 11:50 PM
    It's a shame McCain fails so miserably on immigration (my top issue), because I like his stance on just about everything else.

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/01/22/State ... n_he.shtml
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think that McCain is WAY past his prime fro president.

I have listened to him do nothing but spout slogans and sound bites. All he says is "close the borders", he apparently has a plan on what to do with the 30 million undocumented voters in this country, but doesn't appear to be willing to commit to it publicly. He just seems to duck the the question when he can.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn