Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

Posted on 15 February, 2013 by Amy

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that she opposes a cut in congressional pay because it would diminish the dignity of lawmakers’ jobs.

“I don’t think we should do it; I think we should respect the work we do,” Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. “I think it’s necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded.”

The comments were made in the context of the looming sequester, which would force across-the-board cuts affecting most federal offices, including Congress. With lawmakers nowhere near a deal to avert those cuts, federal agencies are bracing for ways to absorb them with minimum damage to programs and personnel.

Pelosi, whose husband is a wealthy real-estate developer, was quick to note that a cut in her own pay would be far less significant than that for both staffers and less wealthy members of Congress.

“It’s a hard question to ask me because most of my colleagues are the breadwinners in their families,” she said. “A pay cut to me doesn’t mean as much.”

She also emphasized that Congress should do everything it can to preclude such decisions by preventing the sequester cuts from taking effect at all.

“A sequester should be out of the question,” she said.

Still, with the clock ticking down to March 1 – and with both chambers of Congress out of town next week – the chances of reaching a deal are growing slimmer. With that in mind, some lawmakers say they’re hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

“We are, in fact, obviously contemplating a sequester,” Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said this week. “Obviously we are going to take a cut, like everybody else, and we will have to accommodate that.”

Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job |

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Pelosi: Congressional Pay Cut Undermines “Dignity Of The Job”…

February 14, 2013

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that she opposes a cut in congressional pay because it would diminish the dignity of lawmakers' jobs.

"I don't think we should do it; I think we should respect the work we do," Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. "I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded."

The comments were made in the context of the looming sequester, which would force across-the-board cuts affecting most federal offices, including Congress. With lawmakers nowhere near a deal to avert those cuts, federal agencies are bracing for ways to absorb them with minimum damage to programs and personnel.

Pelosi, whose husband is a wealthy real-estate developer, was quick to note that a cut in her own pay would be far less significant than that for both staffers and less wealthy members of Congress.

Continue reading via The Hill...

Pelosi: Congressional Pay Cut Undermines

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Nancy Pelosi is Dignified. Here, Let Me Show You!

By JIMMIE BISE JR
    Published: February 18, 2013

I’m a day or two late to this story, but it’s still fresh, so let’s run with it. Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is unhappy with Republican insistence that members of Congress do the jobs for which the American people hired them. She believes that paying them less than they make right now, which will happen if the sequester for which she voted takes effect, demeans them and makes them feel unrewarded.

And by “them”, she mostly means “her”.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that she opposes a cut in congressional pay because it would diminish the dignity of lawmakers’ jobs.

“I don’t think we should do it; I think we should respect the work we do,” Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. “I think it’s necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded.”

I’m not sure how she could have packed those two sentences more full of arrogance and entitlement. Perhaps she could have dressed up as pre-Revolutionary French noble and delivered her whiny protest while perched on the backs of two shirtless houseboys.

I could make a point here about how much Pelosi makes compared to how little she works, or how her attention to detail seems to be lacking when it comes to the contents of the bills for which she votes, but I won’t. I will, instead, celebrate Nancy Pelosi’s dignity as displayed in two photos so full of dignified behavior and humble reserve they will stun you to silence.

Because nothing says “dignity of the office” like a contrived march to the Capitol after you’ve passed Obamacare while holding a giant gavel in your hands or dragging a whole bunch of kids to yoru swearing-in ceremony to show the world that, by God, you loves you some children, right?

Nancy Pelosi is Dignified. Here, Let Me Show You! - Liberty News