Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sen. Martinez: I'll Be Working for a Better Cuba

Friday, August 7, 2009 11:49 AM

U.S. Senator Mel Martinez, R-Fla., issued the following statement today regarding his decision to step down from public office.

"Twelve years ago I offered myself as a candidate for public office in Florida out of a deep sense of appreciation for what America and the people of Florida did for me as a young immigrant to this country.

"In 1997, Kitty and I decided it was time to give back and we entered the public arena, first as Mayor of Orange County, then as a Member of the President's cabinet and now as a United States senator. Through those experiences I have gained the greatest respect for the people of Florida and have enjoyed serving their interests.

"When I began my term as senator, I promised I wouldn't simply warm a seat; I promised to take on the difficult issues and work to make a difference. Keeping that promise has meant pressing for help and assistance for families struggling to keep their homes, their jobs, and their confidence that our country is safe.

"And on that note, I am especially grateful to the men and women of our military and their families whom I have had the distinct honor of representing in Washington and I thank them for their service to our country.

"As a U.S. senator, I have also had a platform to speak against the oppression of the Cuban regime and my hope for a better future for the people of Cuba. I will continue that lifelong passion in the next phase of my life.

"I will always be grateful to the people of Florida for bestowing on me the singular honor of representing them in the United States Senate.

"My priorities have always been my faith, my family, and my country, and at this stage in my life, and after nearly 12 years of public service in Florida and Washington, it's time I return to Florida and my family.

"So today I am announcing my decision to step down from public office, effective on a successor taking office to fill out the remainder of my term.

"I have enjoyed my time in the Senate and have the utmost respect for my colleagues and the institution. I especially thank Republican leader Mitch McConnell for his guidance and insight.

"I look forward to continuing to be an active and constructive voice on issues vital to Florida and our nation, and being an active member of Florida's Republican Party.

Source: Newsmax

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/mart ... 45246.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

With Republicans struggling for relevance in the Democratic-controlled Congress, Martinez is the second GOP senator in recent days to announce his resignation. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said in late July she would resign this fall to challenge fellow Republican Rick Perry for governor.
    Interesting! Martinez is a traitor anyhow! What has he done? Why quit when you just had two big wins President Obama and Judge Sotomayor? He has been caught at corruption of some kind?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I couldn't wait for this day to come. My daughter and I had the unpleasant experience of dealing with his office. Her dad needed to get citizenship before she turned 21 in order to get her legal residency. He had applied and we were still waiting. The Colombian woman in our building who applied for hers after my daughter's dad did got hers quickly even though she was arrested. We were told we had to wait 3 months for them to look at it even after we explained the urgency. Then the intern who was working in the office and other employees started speaking Spanish in front of us. It was disguisting. So we started speaking Russian and you could tell they weren't too happy about that. He was only out for the Cuban cause first and anything else came second.

Ros-Lehtinen is a big hypocrit. She has spoken out about human smuggling in the media on numerous occassions. Has she told the Cubans to stop? Absolutely not. They get smuggled here on go fast boats on a regular basis and some get injured and a few die on the way here. When they die they just throw them overboard and that is okay but if they die when the Coast Guard tries to stop them then its wrong in their eyes. She needs to go too.

Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56
    What has he done? Why quit when you just had two big wins President Obama and Judge Sotomayor? He has been caught at corruption of some kind?
    Hummmmmmmmmmm
    I wonder.............. I HOPE he's hiding something!!

Taxes? Drugs? A woman? Gay affair? Kickbacks?
    Hopefully he moves to Cuba.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

CR
    swatchik, I agree with you. As a native of South Florida I absolutely detest the representation that we have down here. Ross-Lehtinen is a disgrace and has been since the days of her photo ops with Elian Gonzalez. I can't stand her or the Diaz-Balart's or Klein, Wasserman-Shultz, Wexler, Hastings, you name one, they've got to go. But, Ross-Lehtinen and the Diaz-Balart's have Miami locked down I'm afraid. The other's are vulnerable during the mid-terms though.

The bad news is that Charlie Crist is a Rino, in fact he might as well just jump to the Democratic party and get it over with. He is sure to appoint someone in his or Martinez' mold.

Floridians and the rest of the country shouldn't get too excited just yet. Just wait and see how it all shakes out.

This article is on the USA TODAY Online site. You can post a comment there at this link:

Fla. Sen. Martinez to step down, who will replace him?

http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/20 ... ummer.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We need more parties than two in the run offs.

Time for a nice cold Brew!!!! A toast to all patriots!!!

CR there are alot of Floridians who dislike our current representatives in South Florida. Diaz-Balart helped the illegal alien Gomez brothers be able to stay here while their parents got deported due to them staying here years after their visa expired. He also tried to get the Dream Act passed. There is currently an outrage against Cuban politicians at every government level in Miami. The main reason is corruption. The City of Miami is almost broke again and there was a hiring freeze but the mayor and some commissioners hired their friends and relatives for jobs that weren't even advertised. Then you the both the City of Miami and Miami Dade County are helping pay for a baseball stadium in Little Havana when both cities lack the money. They claim they are selling bonds for it yet no one has seen any advertisement for them or media articles where to buy them while county employees are being given a 5% pay cut. On many of the comments in the newspapers more and more people are writing not stop voting for Cubans who only have their own personal agendas.

SWATCHICK:
    the City of Miami and Miami Dade County are helping pay for a baseball stadium in Little Havana when both cities lack the money.
    Who owns this baseball stadium? Who get the profits when stadium is up and running? Crooks taking taxpayer money. Taxpayers are paying for this stadium in some way

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast