Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racism = Cute?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Racism = Cute?

Group protests at Cobb bar, calling Obama T-shirts racist

Mulligan's selling shirts with 'Curious George' picture

By CHRISTIAN BOONE
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/13/08

Marietta tavern owner Mike Norman says the T-shirts he's peddling, featuring cartoon chimp Curious George peeling a banana, with "Obama in '08" scrolled underneath, are "cute." But to a coalition of critics, the shirts are an insulting exploitation of racial stereotypes from generations past.

"It's time to put an end to this," said Rich Pellegrino, a Mableton resident and director of the Cobb-Cherokee Immigrant Alliance. He was among about 15 people who protested outside Mulligan's Bar and Grill Tuesday afternoon against the sale of the "racist and highly offensive" shirts.

"There's no place for these views, not in this day and age," he said.

Word of the controversy drew native Mariettan Pam Lindley, 47, to show up in support of the protesters.

"I don't want people to think this is what Marietta is all about," she added, pointing at tavern.

Two protesters, who stationed themselves near the tavern entrance, approached Norman and asked him to stop the T-shirt sales. He told them he won't and asked them to leave his property, though the confrontation did not escalate.

Just down the street from Marietta's famous Big Chicken, Mulligan's has carved a provocative niche in an increasingly multicultural area, thanks to its owner's ultra-conservative political views. If you live in Marietta, it's impossible not to know what's on Norman's mind, as he posts his views on signs in front of Mulligan's.

Among his recent musings: "I wish Hillary had married OJ," "No habla espanol -- and never will" and the standard "I.N.S. Agents eat free."

"I'm saying out loud what everyone in this town whispers," Norman said in an interview before Tuesday's protest.

Whatever residents think of the signs, organized opposition to his blunt commentaries -- ongoing for 16 years -- had been nonexistent. No longer, says Pellegrino, who, though familiar with Norman's politics, said he was still surprised by the stark imagery of the Obama T-shirts.

"There's a lot of people hurt by this," he said.

Norman said those offended are "hunting for a reason to be mad" and insisted he is "not a racist."

Norman said he sees nothing wrong with depicting Obama as Curious George. "Look at him . . . the hairline, the ears, he looks just like Curious George," Norman said. He said he did not design the shirts himself but bought them through a Web site.

He said he views it as just coincidence that the character on the T-shirt is a monkey. Norman also said proceeds raised from sales will be donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

The Southern Christian Leadership Conference, the Nation of Islam and the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials were among the organizations represented at Tuesday's rally.

"Mulligan's is promoting and selling racially offensive T-shirts, and Marietta and Cobb County residents and taxpayers abhor and cannot condone, any longer, this type of divisive and incendiary behavior in our community," said Jerry Gonzalez, executive director of GALEO.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...gans_0514.html
    I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

How is this different from the woman who called the black kids "monkeys"? Everyone argued that what she said wasn't meant to be racist. But these tshirts are racist? Was it because the woman is hispanic and this guy is white?

Maybe they should've put DUMBO on the shirt, instead of Curious George, since this is poking fun at Obama's EARS!

SOMEONE is making the tshirts. so why are these idiots blaming the guy for selling them?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

MEMIN PENGUIN, RACIST MEXICAN POSTAGE STAMP

In 2005 the Mexican government issued the 'Memin Pinguin' postage stamp that features a cartoon drawing with exaggerated black features. Most Demon-crats want to allow Mexicans to overrun the U.S.A so we had better be ready to accept Mexico's OVERT RACISM since it is a 'part of Mexico's culture', at least that's the argument they used to defend the obviously racist stamp.

Why is it OK for illegal aliens to ignore U.S. law, culture and political correctness but Citizens are FORCED to accept theirs? (Press one for English)

Why doesn't the U.S. uphold it's end of the contract with Citizens (the Constitution) which requires it to 'Protect the States from invasion...and domestic violence.'
    Nonfeasance of office, the refusal to do that which should be done. Officials do not enforce the law, grounds for dismissal and prosecution for refusing to do what they were hired to do!

Arent' we supposed to be descended from monkeys??? He is just honoring our ancestors! Most people would never link the two, because it was the big ears that made the connection. People see racism everywhere because they are constantly on the lookout for ways to be offended. They monitor radio talk shows looking for offending words. The whole thing is ridicuolous and anti-free speech.

I think it's funny as hell . Don't care what some indian says either . I'm Polish ya'll , i've heard ALL the jokes and i love em cause i give as good as i get
    LMBO with the "INS agents eat free" Whoa
    yip , my great great grandparents came here from poland thur Ellis island.
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Maybe they should've put DUMBO on the shirt, instead of Curious George, since this is poking fun at Obama's EARS!

LMAO! LOL!

Oh please! How often do you see George W. Bush compared to a Chimp?

Just google George Bush Monkey it returns 157,000 images.

Norman said those offended are "hunting for a reason to be mad"
    Exactly! People like this fool:
    Rich Pellegrino, director of the Cobb-Cherokee Immigrant Alliance... against the sale of the "racist and highly offensive" shirts.
    It's free speech even if you don't like hearing it!

Get over it! This has nothing to do with race. Might be about Obama's big ears though.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm not personally offended by the shirts but the rationalization of the motive for doing so is very revealing.

It galvanizes my belief, on macro-societal level, that anything of African origin is a detriment to the fragile minds trained in a certain way.

Get over slavery but remember the Alamo.
    ...But the T-shirts are OK.

Rev. Wright is a racist.
    ...But the T'shirts are OK.

This isn't the 50s or 60s, race relations in this country are fine.
    ...But the T-shirts are OK.

I say, all Americans of African extraction need to take note of this and never fully trust...

Public Enemy said it before I, I must give them the credit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLhuv-kLj_I
    I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

LMAO! LOL!
    ROFLOL !!
    IT'S NOT HOW YOU GET IN, IT'S HOW YOU GET OUT

I'm sorry...but who's offended? Curious George? He should be....now I'll never be able to read those stories to my child again in the same way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast