Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rhode Island gets its first black, gay House speaker

Feb 11, 2010

Rhode Island gets its first black, gay House speaker

07:11 PM
    By Steven Senne, AP

Rhode Island lawmakers have elected the state's first black and first openly gay House speaker.

Rep. Gordon Fox, a 48-year-old lawyer representing Providence, succeeds fellow Democrat William Murphy, who announced in September he would not seek re-election.

He said in an interview with TheProvidence Journal that he is "in a long-term relationship, but not officially married. ... When I get married, I would like to do it in my home state."

Rhode Island is the only New England state that has not made same-sex marriage legal. Will he try to change that?

Fox said he was reluctant to make a hard-and-fast commitment to bring the issue to the House floor for a vote after Murphy leaves, without "a lot of internal discussions." But, "we should have equal marriage rights in Rhode Island. ... That would definitely be something on a personal level I would like to see."

Fox is biracial — his father is Irish, his mother Cape Verdean — but, like President Obama, he considers himself black. He does so, the ProJo writes, because he hopes his achievements will serve as a role model for black youngsters, to send them a message: "If I can do it, you can do it also."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -speaker/1
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So what will be the precedent? His personal preferences or the good of Rhode Island?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    So what will be the precedent? His personal preferences or the good of Rhode Island?
    Would that question be asked if he were White and not gay?
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote:
    "Fox is biracial — his father is Irish, his mother Cape Verdean — but, like President Obama, he considers himself black."

"Bi-racial" seems to work out in practice like "bi-lingual" in the U.S. right now. Although one-half white, people in the public eye like Hallie Berry, Obama, and now this dude always "consider themselves" (and thus require others to consider them, on pain of public reprimand and/or law suit) black. In the same way, "bi-lingual" in the United States, which logically should mean English and any one of a large number of possible second languages, in practice always turns out to mean "English and Spanish".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Point being, JD2: I care not what race a person classifies themselves, nor do I care what they prefer in the privacy of their home. Yes, I care a lot when a politico in a responsible position does not listen to the voice of the people, whom have apparently seen fit not to pass any same sex marriage bill, and whether one has been proposed, I do not know.
    I am quite tired of the politcos that make their personal preferences into laws which all (except illegal aliens) must obey.
    At least this gentleman has been forthright in elaborating his views, but how many are bamboozling the public? IMO, personal views on any subject on any side should give way to the voice of the people they are chosen to represent. Ain't been happening lately.

Does he wear drag?
    The Lord is my Sheperd, I shall not want.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyYuma
    Does he wear drag?
    There is a picture of him at this link:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -speaker/1

He is wearing a suit and tie.
    NO AMNESTY

He doesn't look Black to me.
    The Lord is my Sheperd, I shall not want.

Very well stated vortex. They are representitives serving at the request of the people of their respective districts. They are not trend setters or dictators.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyYuma
    He doesn't look Black to me.
    He sure doesn't. This whole story is rather bizarre to me. I don't get why these politicians have to announce to everyone that they are gay, black, whatever. Just do the damn job.

It seems everyone I know personally who is of mixed race always seems to identify more with thier "ethnic" side. I'm not sure why - a matter of convenience maybe? Or is it "white guilt"?
    This one stumps me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast