Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Ron Paul: Perry Makes Me Look Like a Moderate

Aug 18, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rHt92WX ... ure=relmfu
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Rick Perry is no Ron Paul

Baltimore Sun
    Aug 20, 2011

Thrilled as I was with Texas Rep. Ron Paul’s good showing as a truly constitutional candidate in the Iowa straw poll, I am concerned that Texas Gov. Rick Perry will be seen in the same light.

Granted, Governor Perry is the top elected official of a right-to-work state that has no income tax. That means Texas is a good example for other states to follow.

But does Mr. Perry believe, as Congressman Paul does, that there must be a declaration of war before America invades and bombs other countries?

Does he believe that, as president, he would have the authority to give trillions of dollars to foreign countries or support the Patriot Act against American citizens?

http://www.infowars.com/rick-perry-is-no-ron-paul/

Paul: Limit military to national defense

Ron Paul laughs as he answers questions from the Monitor staff during an editorial review on August 18, 2011.

August 19, 2011

History is an excellent teacher, and though her lessons can be painful, Americans had better start listening up, says Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

If not, the 6,000 soldiers lost in Iraq and Afghanistan will have died for nothing, he said in a meeting yesterday with the Monitor editorial board.

If not, the 6,000 soldiers lost in Iraq and Afghanistan will have died for nothing, he said in a meeting yesterday with the Monitor editorial board.

"I'm hoping and praying we can get a message out of this, learn a lesson. If you don't change your viewpoints, if you don't understand history . . . they will have died in vain. We thought we learned our lesson in Vietnam," he said, but war "is constant, it's endless, it's killing. How many more people have to die before we wake up and admit that those people should not have died? If we would have only had the proper policy, those (soldiers) would have been alive today."

The proper policy, Paul said, is to keep our military limited to national defense, not intervening in other nation's affairs.

"Great countries are brought to their knees because they go empire building," he said during the hour-long interview.

Paul is running for the Republican nomination for the 2012 presidential election and made a two-day visit to New Hampshire. He began Wednesday night by officially opening his campaign headquarters in the city and ended with a house party in Amherst last night.

Known mostly for his decades-long crusade to shrink the size of the federal government, Paul jokingly suggested yesterday a few dozen jobs that could be added to the rolls.

"Anybody who wants to start a new war should have his head examined (and) there's room for a lot of psychiatrists down there in Washington," said Paul, paraphrasing former defense secretary Robert Gates.

Paul has stood apart from his Republican competitors in his staunch criticism of the country's military spending. If elected, he said he would close the dozens of military bases America has around the world to bring billions, if not trillions, of dollars in savings and economic stimulus to the country.

"What do we need 'em for? . . . It's $1.4 trillion we spend on maintaining our militarism," Paul said. "It mostly gets us into more trouble by getting involved over there. We're just getting killed over there, shot at and wasting our money. There's no authority for it, for us to be the policeman of the world."

For Paul, everything the federal government does must find, at its roots, authority granted by the U.S. Constitution. That means no Environmental Protection Agency, no federal health care programs and no income tax.

Reducing taxes is the only job creation program he believes the Constitution would allow.

"We need more spending, in the private economy," he said. "People need to be able to make business decisions on how to allocate their resources. That's how we got into (the recession). Our big problem is . . . misdirected investments by the government."

The Federal Reserve system also contributed to the recession, he said, through "this silliness of constantly creating new money when you need it."

Other Republicans in recent days have been critical of the Federal Reserve, with Paul's home-state Gov. Rick Perry, the newest candidate in the presidential field, saying recently, "printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history is almost treacherous - or treasonous in my opinion."

"I don't use those words," Paul responded yesterday. "I think they're misinformed on monetary policy and that's the more important thing. Evidently (Perry) thought it was good politics. I have never met the man, I don't know what his monetary policy is. I'm not disappointed he addressed the Fed, but he doesn't do it the way I do."

Paul is consistently courteous even toward those he disagrees with, partly because the country's situation isn't the fault of any one person, he said.

The country has been led astray for years, he said, duped into believing in Keynesian economic theories that "they are to be taken care of and we are to be the policemen of the world. It's not (Fed Chairman Ben) Bernanke, it's the system. It's not Obama, it's not George Bush. It's a system of foreign policy that has been around a long time, a foreign policy I challenge. I probably slip up, but I basically try really hard to not personalize. I don't enjoy that at all."

(Sarah Palermo can be reached at 369-3322 or spalermo@cmonitor.com.)

http://tinyurl.com/3ebymwa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12