Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sarah Palin notes irony of using Canada health care

Sarah Palin notes irony of using Canada health care

Mar. 8, 2010 09:03 PM
    Associated Press .

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Sarah Palin has been no friend lately of socialized health care.

She has criticized Canada's system, saying it should be dismantled in favor of free enterprise. And she has denounced President Barack Obama's health plan as being socialized medicine.

But during a weekend speech in Calgary, the former Republican vice presidential candidate acknowledged her family used medical care in Whitehorse, the capital of Canada's Yukon Territory, decades ago.

Palin was born in 1964 in Idaho and moved to the rural southeast Alaska town of Skagway as an infant.

"My first five years of life we spent in Skagway, Alaska, right there by Whitehorse," Palin said during her Saturday night speech at Calgary's BMO Centre, part of the Fraser institute's influential speakers program.

"Believe it or not - this was in the 60s - we used to hustle on over the border for health care that we would receive in Whitehorse. I remember my brother, he burned his ankle in some little kid accident thing, and my parents had to put him on a train and rush him over to Whitehorse, and I think, isn't that kind of ironic now. Zooming over the border, getting health care from Canada."

Palin's father said Monday they had little choice, given their location in Skagway.

"There was no road out of there at that time," said retired teacher Chuck Heath, reached by phone in Wasilla. "The ferry schedule was very erratic. We had no doctor in Skagway. The plane schedule was very erratic. The winds dictated whether the planes could come in or not."

Palin's health care history, even when she was a child, is of interest because of her criticism of Obama and other Democrats working on U.S. health care.

Palin has been a frequent critic of big government and socialized health care, a seeming contradiction for someone whose family once took advantage of it in Whitehorse.

Palin in August called Obama's health plan "downright evil" in a Facebook posting and said he would create a "death panel" that would deny care to the neediest Americans. Democrats including Obama have dismissed that as a distortion.

Palin's father said his family probably boarded the train for the Whitehorse hospital only twice - once when a daughter had rheumatic fever, and once when his son, also named Chuck, severely burned his leg and an infection set in.

"We much preferred to use our facilities because my insurance didn't cover anything in Whitehorse. And even though they have socialized medicine, I still had to pay the bill, being an American citizen," Heath said.

Heath worked part-time for the White Pass & Yukon Railroad and had a pass allowing him and his family to ride for free.

The train in the 1960s often was the only option for getting to a doctor, Skagway Mayor Tom Cochran said.

There's now a road to Whitehorse about 112 miles away, but people still take advantage of Whitehorse dentists or doctors rather than flying to Alaska's capital, Juneau, 90 miles to the south.

"If you can't fly to Juneau - and a lot of times you can't, especially in the winter - they're going to get you to a medical treatment facility if it's an emergency, and that's normally where Whitehorse comes into play," Cochran said.

Cochran has lived in Skagway since 1968 and his family knew the Heaths. His own child needed help a decade ago.

"It was probably 10 years ago, anyway, two of my kids were in a four-wheeler accident, and one of them was hurt pretty badly, so we medevaced them to Whitehorse via ambulance," he said. "It's usually emergency situations when people go up there."

Palin aide Jason Recher did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment from the former governor.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... -care.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Poor Sarah. If she'd done her research she could have pointed out that in the 60's Canada didn't have socialized health care or universal coverage, so there's no irony about it. That didn't occur until the Canada Health Act of 1984 and even it is voluntary, not mandatory like Obama Care. And her parents would have paid for the services as would anyone else who uses Canadian hospitals who aren't Canadian and don't have a "card". She could have also pointed out that the present Canada Health Act covers less than 70% of Canadians medical expenses, and the health care costs in Canada have risen 4 fold since the 70's.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Palin has been a frequent critic of big government and socialized health care, a seeming contradiction for someone whose family once took advantage of it in Whitehorse.
    The Palin's medical care wasn't free. I do not see a contradiction.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    The Palin's medical care wasn't free. I do not see a contradiction.
    Exactly. I guess she was a kid at the time and had no clue how it was paid for like most kids. It's why Sarah needs to go get a real job and shut up. She is the one who called it an "irony" when there was no irony other than her being up there in another country running her mouth about what they should be doing about a subject she has no knowledge or understanding about. As much as she's trying to help us keep our health care system as private sector as possible, which I appreciate, unfortunately she's like a kid walking into a mine field saying "oh daddy, look at me" as she stands on one.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Between 1897 and 1910 4th Street in Skagway was named for my grandfatherb a Klondike mining engineer.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Between 1897 and 1910 4th Street in Skagway was named for my grandfatherb a Klondike mining engineer.
    Wow! That's really great Richard. Your grandfather was a true pioneer! Can you imagine how hard, desolate, cold and rough a place like Skagway must have been in those days? Brrrr! It makes me cold just thinking about it!

I really don't care what health care Palin used, when where or how.

Palin supports amnesty for millions of illegal aliens

that makes her a traitor

just like McCain, Obama, Biden, Clinton, etc.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    I really don't care what health care Palin used, when where or how.

Palin supports amnesty for millions of illegal aliens

that makes her a traitor

just like McCain, Obama, Biden, Clinton, etc.
    Yes, it most certainly does, JohnDoe2. And she also supports free trade treason which makes her a Double Traitor and not worth the time we spend discussing her.

April
    Mobilization NEED NOW!! Please Help!!!! Our country is at stake!!!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-190602.html

MW
    Judy wrote:

Exactly. I guess she was a kid at the time and had no clue how it was paid for like most kids. It's why Sarah needs to go get a real job and shut up. She is the one who called it an "irony" when there was no irony other than her being up there in another country running her mouth about what they should be doing about a subject she has no knowledge or understanding about. As much as she's trying to help us keep our health care system as private sector as possible, which I appreciate, unfortunately she's like a kid walking into a mine field saying "oh daddy, look at me" as she stands on one.
    One thing is certain, Palin has never been considered the sharpest tool in the shed.

I agree, the lady definitely needs to fade away into oblivion.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast