Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Sources: Eliot Spitzer nears resignation

Sources: Eliot Spitzer nears resignation

BY JAMES T. MADORE, RICK BRAND AND ERIK GERMAN | rick.brand@newsday.com and erik.german@newsday.com
    11:27 AM EDT, March 11, 2008

ALBANY - Assembly Minority Leader James Tedisco said he and other legislative leaders had received telephone calls from Lt. Gov. David Paterson that Tedisco took as indicating a resignation from Gov. Eliot Spitzer was in the offing.

Speaking on Talk 1300 in Albany, Tedisco said Paterson's call "indicates there is something that's going to take place."

Tedisco (R-Schenectady) was one of the first leaders Monday to call for Spitzer to step down after being ensnared in a prostitution scandal. The second-year governor was allegedly caught in a federal wiretap making arrangements for a prostitute from the Emperors Club VIP to meet him in a Washington hotel room on Feb. 13.

Tedisco said Tuesday morning that he was exploring the possibility of impeaching Spitzer, though he conceded an indictment or arrest of the governor would need to come first. "We're preparing a resolution as we evaluate impeachment. We will request a resolution of impeachment by Speaker [ Sheldon] Silver to begin the process," Tedisco said.

Asked if Spitzer should resign, Silver refused to use that word, saying the governor should do "what's best for his family." Silver added, "I think what's best for the state is we have a constitution, we have continuity in government - it is now up to the governor to make a determination that's best for his family. I pray for his children and the impact it has had. Right now, my heart goes out to him."

On Long Island, the county Democratic leaders were divided on what Spitzer's next move should be.

Suffolk Democratic Party chairman Richard Schaffer called for Spitzer's resignation. "I think it's best that he step down," Schaffer said. "We're all hoping he figures that out over the next couple of days. But for everyone, including his family, I think it's best that he step aside."

But Nassau Democratic chairman Jay Jacobs said, "I'm not going to say whether I would suggest that the governor step down -- or not step down. But if he and his advisers have come up with a strategy to continue in office they are a heck of a lot smarter than me, because I can't figure it out."

In Albany, television trucks surrounded the Capitol and distracted lawmakers trying to focus on other issues. Lobbyists continued to stream through the marble hallways as they do every Tuesday during the regular legislative session.

The Senate's Republican majority announced plans for a constitutional spending cap as part of its budget proposal for 2008-09.

Spitzer appeared not to have arrived at his Manhattan office as of 11:15 a.m.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/polit ... 6405.story
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Comments
    Showing posts 1 - 20 of 24
    « prev | next »
    Go to last post | Jump to page:
    shameful
    Denver, CO

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    2 hrs ago

bye bye
    jacqui
    Providence, RI

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    2 hrs ago

Did the State of New York pay for Spitzer's prostitute or was it personal money?
    Vanessa
    Florence, SC

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    2 hrs ago

I am so sorry for the children, we forget this politican has children that have to heard on the news about an adult situation involving their father.

How horrible for them.
    R Friedman
    San Jose, CA

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    2 hrs ago

Impeachment !?!?

All Spitzer did was use some call girls for his own enjoyment. No one got killed.

Bush, on the other hand, should be impeached for lying, AND the wanton murder of Iraqi civilians, US troops, and the financial ruin of this country. Now there's something to be impeached for.

Get real!
    dont_taze_me_bro
    Calabasas, CA

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    2 hrs ago

Watch. He will come out and say he has a "sex addiction" - like a drug addiction - and he is somehow a victim of a disease. His wife will stand by him as he enters "sex rehab" trying to come out on the other side smelling like a rose. But most smart New Yorkers (about 5% of the population) will see right through that - he simply wanted some sweet young thang to get his rocks off. Thinking with the wrong head like always.
    bam45
    Marietta, GA

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    2 hrs ago

This is so unfortunate for not only his family but the people who have put their faith in their governor. His conduct is unbecoming an officer of the State. His oath of office means nothing. This is probably not the first time he has hired prostitutes, but the first time he got caught, and his wife was probably aware but turned the other way because of his position. Now he wants the citizens of the State to turn the other way. In our society, unfortunately, the majority of politicians are not in it for the good of the people but themselves and the power the position brings to them, but this is one of the times they got caught.
    rocky2007
    Sussex, NJ

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    2 hrs ago

This is a tradgedy... I'm alittle bit ashamed of his behavior because of his strict iron hand against white collar corruption. Where does this stand in the scheme of things for Spitzer acting "holier than thou," attitude. He deserves what he gets and that seems to be a ruined career and hopefully his wife will stand up to himn and leave his sorry asss
    what
    Richlands, VA

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    2 hrs ago

The only person he needs to answer to is his wife. So he likes women, so what! Its not like he sent our troops to a distant land to get killed!!!
    Impeach
    San Jose, CA

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    1 hr ago

This is so unfortunate for not only his family but the people who have put their faith in their President His conduct is unbecoming an officer of the State. His oath of office means nothing. This is probably not the first time he has lied to the American people, but the first time he got caught, and his staff was probably aware but turned the other way because of his position. Now he wants the citizens of the country to turn the other way. In our society, unfortunately, the majority of politicians are not in it for the good of the people but themselves and the power the position brings to them, but this is one of the times they got caught.
    NYer
    Locke, NY

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    1 hr ago

Please, do you think that he would have come out publicly on this if he wasn't going to be indicted? I don't think so.
    He broke the law, a law he used to go after many a Wall Street type, so I'm not feeling a whole lot of pity for him. Prove that Bush has broken laws - he's still in office, so dream on Friedman.
    As for his wife, if she wants to set a good example for her daughters, she should leave. Sex with prostitutes (unprotected sex if reports are correct) means that he put his wife's health at risk too. Unacceptable.
    He's got to go.
    Seal2
    Woodstock, IL

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    1 hr ago

Spitzer should resign. He is a hypocrit and a snake in the grass. I feel sorry for his wife and children that they have to endure all of this embarassment, and worse, betrayal by their father and husband. I wonder if Mrs. Spitzer will divorce this sonofabitch or will she opt for doing as Hillary Clinton did and stand by her man, another "Dog" and worthless scum-bag?

When are Americans going to wake up and realize that a person's moral character is important? How do we trust a public servant to do the will of the people and follow through on his/her oath when they cannot even adhere to their own marriage vows to their spouses?

Spitzer is a disgusting soul as was Bill Clinton.
    EMPERORS CLUB
    Cordova, TN

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    1 hr ago

What about the emperor's club? Spitzer has been accused so now it's about time to criticize the emperor's club. They are the ones that have the business of prostitution, don't you think they need to be banned and prosecuted for making their living off of trained sex acts?
    McDonalds is Hiring
    Ronkonkoma, NY

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    1 hr ago

"A great nation is not destroyed from without, until it has destroyed itself from within" - Will Durant

He should resign for the simple fact that he like many other politicians make America look weak in the eyes of the international community. He should resign because he is a disgrace to this country and to his family. For those of you who say or think it's no big deal it's just a prostitute, you are the problem with this country an you are the reason why we have people running this country that don't know there @-- from there elbow. Politicians should abide by the law in every aspect, not pick an choose which laws they think apply to them, knowing because there in a position of power/money they can do what they want, an get a slap on the wrist, this must stop. He should be tried in court like any other american would be, he shouldn't get "Special Treatment" because he is a politician. The truth is if he was the average joe he would already be in court looking at a judge (not one of his friends). This country has some serious political problems an something has to be done about it before it's too late, unfortunatly I think it's already too late.
    tew
    Cordova, TN

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    1 hr ago

the emperor's club and all other prostitution relations should be banned for good. Is this realistic?
    Just as all the "leaders" of each country in the entire world should sign peace treaties agreeing of throwing all guns and weapons away. All metal weapons and anything that can hurt another person should just be thrown in a big melting pot and all of those awful weapons should just be melted. Then focus on getting all of metal weapons or any harmful weapons completely out of America so we can live in peace. Humans do not need metal or harmful weapons to survive.
    hhkeller
    Brewster, NY

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    1 hr ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Why is this covered up?
    Spitzer should apologize!!
    news
    Cordova, TN

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    1 hr ago

The ladies on fox news seem to be dressing sleezier and sleezier, have you seen those ladies reporters with mid thigh skirts on? They sit cross legged and smile big and pretty for the camera with their legs just hanging out sreaming look at me!! They might as well spread their legs wide for the cameras so everyone can see their tree of life. Some of the reporters even say oh I have at kids at home and I wouldn't want them to do this or that, but yet they are dressed like whores, what has happened to self respect when dressing or professionalism especially on t.v.? I wonder if some of them are one of the workers for the emperor's club? Are they? Can they dye their hair any blonder or put their makeup on any sleezier or darker? For peeks sake, these are news reporters, not workers for the emperor's club, I think.
    couplewords
    San Francisco, CA

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    57 min ago

Idiot Spitzer will have to rely on his family from now on! sad. So, hey Spitzer, how much for the oldest one?
    John C Kimbrough
    Bangkok, Thailand

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    55 min ago

We all have faults and we all make mistakes as human beings, husbands, wives, parents, fathers and mothers. Lets look at ourselves with greater mindfulness and address the things within ourselves that keep us from being happy, healthy and compassionate people.
    news
    Cordova, TN

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    42 min ago

The ladies on fox news seem to be dressing sleezier and sleezier, have you seen those ladies reporters with mid thigh skirts on? They sit cross legged and smile big and pretty for the camera with their legs just hanging out sreaming look at me!! They might as well spread their legs wide for the cameras so everyone can see their tree of life. Some of the reporters even say oh I have at kids at home and I wouldn't want them to do this or that, but yet they are dressed like whores, what has happened to self respect when dressing or professionalism especially on t.v.? I wonder if some of them are one of the workers for the emperor's club? Are they? Young youths turn on the news and see these news women dressed almost looking like prostitutes. Girls in America look like slut whores because some older women are prancing around looking like whores saying it;s ok to look like this. Can they dye their hair any blonder or put their makeup on any sleezier or darker? For peeks sake, these are news reporters, not workers for the emperor's club, I think.
    gob
    New York, NY

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    32 min ago

what wrote:
    The only person he needs to answer to is his wife. So he likes women, so what! Its not like he sent our troops to a distant land to get killed!!!

Absoulty, dam that JFK
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    If you are CORRUPT in the little things....you will be CORRUPT in the bigger things....so it does make a difference!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

The second-year governor was allegedly caught in a federal wiretap making arrangements for a prostitute from the Emperors Club VIP to meet him in a Washington hotel room on Feb. 13.
    Did we the tax-payers pay for the hotel room since Spitzer was in Washington to address Congress on 2-14?

Title: Governor Spitzer Testifies Before Congress Regarding Bond Insurer Crisis
    Date: 02/14/2008
    Press Release

GOVERNOR SPITZER TESTIFIES BEFORE CONGRESS REGARDING BOND INSURER CRISIS
    Speaks to Contributing Factors, Fiscal Implications and Possible Remedies
    http://www.votesmart.org/speech_detail. ... =&contain=
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

If you don't mind reading legal documents, here is the link to the Spitzer story with the DOJ. They've obviously marked out names as they are "not guilty" until proven innocent:

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/nys/pressrele ... dacted.pdf

The case started when banks noticed the frequent transfers from several accounts and filed suspicious activity reports with the Internal Revenue Service, the law enforcement official told the AP. The accounts were traced back to Spitzer, prompting public corruption investigators to open an inquiry.

From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!