SOMETHING IN THE AIR

Sovereignty: We're not in Kansas anymore

9th, 10th Amendments key to developing tea-party movement

Posted: February 14, 2010
11:45 pm Eastern
© 2010 WorldNetDaily

The Kansas Senate has joined an increasing number of states moving toward passing state sovereignty resolutions under the Ninth and 10th Amendments to the Constitution, Jerome Corsi's Red Alert reports.

"The key spirit of state sovereignty resolutions is to call for a massive pullback from the growth of the federal government under the proposition that powers not specifically enumerated to the federal government in the Constitution are reserved to the states and the people," Corsi explained.

A Kansas City Star blog noted the resolution "sends a message for Kansans upset with overreaching mandates like health-care reform, gun control, abortion rights and immigration policy."

The Kansas resolution still must pass the Kansas House of Representatives and be sent to the governor for signature into law.

Across the country, tea-party participants are finding the passing of state-sovereignty resolutions under the Ninth and 10th Amendment is key to advancing the goal of taking back control of government spending from Washington, D.C., to return that control to the states, Corsi wrote.

Tenth Amendment Center

While no state has yet passed into law a state-sovereignty resolution under the Ninth and 10th Amendments, a website called the Tenth Amendment Center has been established to network among proponents and coordinate volunteers.

"The emergence of this movement is a hopeful sign of the people asserting their rights and the rights of the states and finally crying 'enough' to runaway government," Dave Nalle notes on the Tenth Amendment Center website. "With the threat of increasingly out-of-control federal spending, some of these sovereignty bills may stand a fair chance of passage in the coming year."

The Tenth Amendment specifically provides, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Randy Brogdon runs for Oklahoma governor on sovereignty platform

Red Alert reports that Oklahoma Republican state Sen. Randy Brogdon has decided to run for governor on a platform that stresses limited government and a return to the principles of the Tenth Amendment.

Brogdon's main opponent in the July 2010 Republican gubernatorial primary in Oklahoma is expected to be Republican Rep. Mary Falin.

"The restitution of our constitutional liberties is the central theme of my campaign," Brogdon said. "I recognize that the elimination of our freedom is alive and well in the United States, and my goal as governor would be to stand against an over-reaching and tyrannical federal government that is reaching into the lives of Oklahomans right now."

Echoing themes heard in town-hall meetings and tea-party protests, Brogdon has campaigned hard against Obama administration trillion-dollar federal deficit spending and bailouts of the auto and financial services industries that Brogdon sees as attacks on the free-enterprise system itself.

"The Obama administration and the Democratic Congress in Washington have created a generational federal debt that our children may never be able to pay off," he said. "I'm calling for restoration. I want the values of our Founding Fathers restored in the hearts of every Oklahoman and American who loves liberty and is willing to defend it."

Brogdon opposed Oklahoma taking its nearly $2 billion share of the $787 Obama administration economic stimulus money, and he said that as governor he would appoint an attorney general who would refuse to take federal funds when federal programs created unconstitutional continuing obligations for Oklahoma.

"When the federal government passes something that is unconstitutional and expects the state of Oklahoma to participate in it, I'm going to look in my copy of the Constitution and if the measure does not comply with Article 1 Section 8, I'm going to tell the federal government 'No thank you!'"

Brogdon achieved national recognition in 2007 when Corsi reported his determination to fight the expansion of the Trans-Texas Corridor Interstate 35, or TTC-35, into Oklahoma, by sponsoring an Oklahoma resolution requiring the state to withdraw from the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America or participate in any project that would involve building NAFTA superhighways in the state.

Corsi subsequently reported that Brogdon sponsored an Oklahoma legislature joint resolution under which the state claimed sovereignty relying on the 10th Amendment of the Constitution.

"As governor, I would stand in the gap between the federal government and the people of this state," he said. "I will battle the federal government every single day until Washington realizes that Oklahoma is going to create a haven for private enterprise and freedom right here in this state."

Brogdon believes that as governor he can use the 10th Amendment to set a model in Oklahoma that other states will follow.

"It won't be long before other states start asking, 'How is Oklahoma standing up to the federal government,' and it won't be long before they follow our example," he said.

Red Alert's author, whose books "The Obama Nation" and "Unfit for Command" have topped the New York Times best-sellers list, received his Ph.D. from Harvard University in political science in 1972. For nearly 25 years, beginning in 1981, he worked with banks throughout the U.S. and around the world to develop financial services marketing companies to assist banks in establishing broker/dealers and insurance subsidiaries to provide financial planning products and services to their retail customers. In this career, Corsi developed three different third-party financial services marketing firms that reached gross sales levels of $1 billion in annuities and equal volume in mutual funds. In 1999, he began developing Internet-based financial marketing firms, also adapted to work in conjunction with banks.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=125157