Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
    Don't worry Peladac, the ex-Mrs' lives out by Buckley Airbase, and they got some wolf spiders out there, that are as fast as greased lightning, and the diameter of a butter plate. Her dog Penny, a miniature dachsy chases them down and gets them. But then again, she takes on racoons that are three times her size.

Little red house spider, go put him in the garden. He'll keep the bad critters from eating your flowers and vegtable plants.
    A butter plate!

I wish I could go put it in the garden but I looked this morning and it's dead, thank goodness. This yankee still struggles with the critters from the south and southwest.
    He ain't heavy, he's my Brother
    Â*http://www.alsa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I was bitten on the ankle by a brown recluse spider about 20 years ago, resulting in a softball sized ankle. If I remember correctly, I was placed on antibiotics.
    Ouch!! From what I have seen they can do a lot of damage. The antibiotics probably saved your leg or your life. I know that if it gets in your blood stream it can go directly to your heart. They are evil. UUGGHH

The worst one is the Funnelweb Spider in Austrailia. They are really nasty little devils. And they are not just poisonous, but downright deadly.

Another one is the Brazilian Bird Spider from the Amazon. That sucker can grow to a 12 inch diameter or more. I remember reading a National Geographic issue where the camera man and his crew ate what they thought were crab legs, after which they were told that they had eaten tarantula legs, and that they were quite tasty. Crabs, even the Alaskan King Crab are a form of Arachnid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
    The worst one is the Funnelweb Spider in Austrailia. They are really nasty little devils. And they are not just poisonous, but downright deadly.

Another one is the Brazilian Bird Spider from the Amazon. That sucker can grow to a 12 inch diameter or more. I remember reading a National Geographic issue where the camera man and his crew ate what they thought were crab legs, after which they were told that they had eaten tarantula legs, and that they were quite tasty. Crabs, even the Alaskan King Crab are a form of Arachnid.
    Actually, crabs and spiders are not in the same class. Spiders are the class Arachnida while crabs are Malacostraca. They are from the same phylum, both being Arthropods, but that phylum includes everything from arachnids to insects to crabs, lobsters and shrimp.

Thanks Crocket. Yes you are correct. I found it quite interesting though at how closely related those species are, being that one is terrestrial, and the other aquatic.

Quite amazing what millions upon millions of years of adaptation will do.

I remember reading a National Geographic issue where the camera man and his crew ate what they thought were crab legs, after which they were told that they had eaten tarantula legs, and that they were quite tasty. Crabs, even the Alaskan King Crab are a form of Arachnid.
    Oh my gosh, I would have puked so bad!

Now, how in the world would they mistake a huge hairy spider leg from a huge crab leg?

Thank goodness they are not the same, I would have to rethink eating the aquatic creatures.

Thanks for the replies, somehow I'll find out what kind it was and hopefully without looking at ugly spider pics.

Truthfully, I was as horrified by them at one time as you are. But I started to study them when I was around 12 or 13, and found them absolutely fascinating. How thir bodies work for their purposes that they need for hunting and catching prey. It actually helped me overcome my arachnophobia I had when I was younger. It's helpful knowing better that which you detest.

Just so you know wolf spiders, despite their name, are very beneficial in the garden. They eat all the bad bugs. They look kinda scary some people will mistake them for tarantulas, but they are quite harmless (tarantulas and wolf).
    Having said that spiders give me the heeby geebies too. Something about the way the move.

I don't like anything with more than 4 legs!\

We had a pool, had it taken out last year...we couldn't keep the frogs out of it...anyway great big spiders started to hang around it....when hubby leaves for 3 weeks each yr. for the National Guard, I was the one that had to take care of the pool.

One night the frogs got so loud, I took the dogs out, got a flashlight and went out there screaming at the frogs to shut up....I put the light down and there was one of those large spiders.

He started to chase me, and I screamed running back towards the house, and the 2 dogs didn't know what to think about me....but they ran with me.

So, last yr. I told my husband to take out the pool, as I just couldn't keep it clean, millions of frog eggs, each and everyday...no matter how many chemicals we put in....dumb nuts!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moosetracks
    I don't like anything with more than 4 legs!\

We had a pool, had it taken out last year...we couldn't keep the frogs out of it...anyway great big spiders started to hang around it....when hubby leaves for 3 weeks each yr. for the National Guard, I was the one that had to take care of the pool.

One night the frogs got so loud, I took the dogs out, got a flashlight and went out there screaming at the frogs to shut up....I put the light down and there was one of those large spiders.

He started to chase me, and I screamed running back towards the house, and the 2 dogs didn't know what to think about me....but they ran with me.

So, last yr. I told my husband to take out the pool, as I just couldn't keep it clean, millions of frog eggs, each and everyday...no matter how many chemicals we put in....dumb nuts!
    You should have gotten yourself an alligator.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast