Sting: ‘Jihad is a metaphor,’ like Virgin Birth, Adam and Eve

By Jessica Chasmar
The Washington Times
Sunday, June 22, 2014

• FILE - This Nov. 10, 2013 file photo shows British singer Sting ... more >

Pop icon Sting said in a wide-ranging interview that his children won’t be getting any trust funds from his vast fortune, and that “jihad is a metaphor,” much like the Virgin Birth.The former Police frontman told

The Daily Mail on Sunday that his wealth — estimated at $306 million by the Sunday Times Rich List — would be a burden on his six children.
“I told them there won’t be much money left because we are spending it. We have a lot of commitments. What comes in we spend, and there isn’t much left,” he said. “I certainly don’t want to leave them trust funds that are albatrosses ‘round their necks. They have to work.

All my kids know that and they rarely ask me for anything, which I really respect and appreciate.”
The 16-time Grammy Award winner is not interested in party politics, but instead takes a philosophical view on events, including the war on terror, The Mail reported.“It’s a very odd phrase this ‘war on terror’,” he said. “Let’s try to understand it a bit before we declare war on it. I think most of our problems are a lack of consciousness about things, a low level of understanding of reality.”

“For me, jihad is a metaphor – you are fighting your own demons in your own mind.

The Promised Land is another metaphor. The Virgin Birth, Adam and Eve is a metaphor. They are beautiful metaphors but when you accept them as literally true then you are in very dangerous territory,” he continued. “This is happening in all religions. I don’t have a religion. They have a right to believe but they can’t foist that on everyone else.

We are not blameless. We created Iraq, Jordan, Syria.”
“We just drew arbitrary lines on a map to control resources and people, disregarding tribal affinities, and that is always going to cause problems. No belief or region has a monopoly on stupidity,” he added.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz35Q6hazq9