Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Struggling College Students Turn to Food Banks

Struggling College Students Turn to Food Banks

Rising food prices bring new group to food banks: Struggling college students

By WHITNEY MALKIN Associated Press Writer
    SEATTLE July 25, 2008 (AP) The Associated Press

Just blocks from the University of Washington, a line of people shuffle toward a food pantry, awaiting handouts such as milk and bread.

Saad Hopkins, entering the University of Washington as a junior in the fall, gets groceries at the University District Food Bank in this July 15, 2008 file photo in Seattle. In the past year, the price of groceries has jumped nearly 5 percent and the costs some staples like milk and bread--the core of a college diet--have shot up by more than 30 percent. That's driving up demand at food banks and prompting some students to apply for food stamps.

(Elaine Thompson/AP Photo)For years, the small University District pantry has offered help to the working poor and single parents in this neighborhood of campus rentals. Now rising food prices are bringing another group: Struggling college students.

"Right now, with things the way they are, a lot of students just can't afford to eat," said Terry Capleton, who started a Facebook group called "I Ain't Afraid to be on Food Stamps" when he was a student at Benedict College in South Carolina.

Some of the students are working their way through college with grants, loans and part-time jobs. Others are just reluctant to ask parents for more money.

"More and more, it's just the typical traditional student, about 18 to 22, that's feeling this crunch," said Larry Brickner-Wood, director of the Cornucopia Food Pantry at the University of New Hampshire.

"There's definitely been an increase in usage and demand. We're seeing more and more students that have never used the pantry before."

In the past year, the price of groceries has jumped nearly 5 percent, the highest increase in nearly two decades. The cost of some staples has shot up by more than 30 percent.

At the University District pantry in Seattle, demand has risen roughly 25 percent this year. About 150 students visit each week during the school year.

Membership in Capleton's Facebook group has steadily climbed, too, and sparked other online groups with names such as "I'm in College and I got on Food Stamps."

"A lot of students can't call their mom every day to ask for that extra fifty dollars," said Capleton, 24. "They're on their own."

Qualifying for aid at community food banks is usually easy. Most of the charities just require users to show identification proving they live in the area.

The Community College of Denver runs its own food-assistance program, which has seen demand double in the past year.

"It's the highest I've ever seen," said Jerry Mason, the school's director of student life. "Our assumption is it's because of the high price of food."

In response to demand, the school doubled the pantry's $3,000 annual budget.

Food stamps are distributed through a Department of Agriculture program administered by the states. But the agency does not track whether applicants are enrolled in college, so the number of students is unknown.

Students generally are eligible for food stamps if they qualify for a state or federally funded work-study program; work at least 20 hours per week; have a child under the age of 12; or are taking employer-sponsored job training classes.

Deirdre Wilson, a junior at Francis Marion University in Florence, S.C., applied for food stamps in November because her paycheck from a work-study job didn't stretch far enough to cover her expanding grocery bill.

"Before, when I lived in the dorms, I was on the meal plan," the 20-year-old said. "Now that I'm in the apartment, I have to pay for food, and I have to pay my cell phone bill. I don't make enough to pay for both."

John Camp, lead analyst for Washington state's food stamp program, said the requirements for assistance disqualify many students and dissuade others from applying. People ages 18 to 25 make up roughly 8 percent of the state's food stamp users.

In New Hampshire, some students are reluctant to apply for government aid.

"There is a stereotype that well, if they're in college, they can afford to eat," said Brickner-Wood, the food pantry director. "But there are some students who have hardly any disposable income, and because of that, the food budget suffers. They either eat really badly, or they just don't eat enough."

Standing outside a campus market, University of Washington junior Doug McManaway wonders how he will afford to pay for groceries through the summer term.

"I'm already really poor and on a really tight budget," he said. "I have to pay rent, and after that there isn't much left over."

With just $100 left to last him through the end of the month, the 20-year-old said a food bank might be his best option.

"It kind of grosses me out," McManaway said. "But if my parents say, 'No, we're not going to give you any more money,' it may be a last resort."

———

On the Net:

USDA Food Stamps: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fns/

Facebook food stamp group: http://tinyurl.com/6j28gv

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=5451082
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When I went to college...(1970's)...students qualified for 25 bucks a week in food stamps by simply showing their college ID. We had friends and we had dinners everyday at someone elses house or apt. You were in charge of 1 massive meal a week......worked great. It was just 25 bucks of food stamps for the student. It wasn't complicated with family or kids or anything else.....there were other things to do for that.....but it was a life saver for so many of us. We had singles and families and it really was fun.....we ate well and all made it through. The best dinner we had was Thanksgiving. The break wasn't long enough for people to leave with Christmas so close.....so we had like a pot luck thing......we had families from all over the world and it really was cool

Years later, I couldn't get 25 bucks of food stamps for a needy family of 4.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Back then, no one judged who had the best meal, etc. You were thankful for anything. We had alot of spagetti and soup.... but it didn't matter because we ate.....we were all together and enjoyed the evening. The second anyone could offer more, we all enjoyed it. Sorry.....was a great time......and as my Dad would say.....so poor we didn't have a pot to pee in or window to throw it out of.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    When I went to college...(1970's)...students qualified for 25 bucks a week in food stamps by simply showing their college ID. We had friends and we had dinners everyday at someone elses house or apt. You were in charge of 1 massive meal a week......worked great. It was just 25 bucks of food stamps for the student. It wasn't complicated with family or kids or anything else.....there were other things to do for that.....but it was a life saver for so many of us. We had singles and families and it really was fun.....we ate well and all made it through. The best dinner we had was Thanksgiving. The break wasn't long enough for people to leave with Christmas so close.....so we had like a pot luck thing......we had families from all over the world and it really was cool

Years later, I couldn't get 25 bucks of food stamps for a needy family of 4.

That's because you had to prove citizenship, income, and were not irresponsibly breeding.........sheesh, WHATEVER were you thinking to even apply

Sorry, not poking fun at anyone.....just thought a little humor might be what I needed after such a tense day.

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    That's because you had to prove citizenship, income, and were not irresponsibly breeding.........sheesh, WHATEVER were you thinking to even apply
    There's truth in humor. In this case, a lot more truth than humor.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    Back then, no one judged who had the best meal, etc. You were thankful for anything. We had alot of spagetti and soup.... but it didn't matter because we ate.....we were all together and enjoyed the evening. The second anyone could offer more, we all enjoyed it. Sorry.....was a great time......and as my Dad would say.....so poor we didn't have a pot to pee in or window to throw it out of.

I use the same pot-window phrase!! It was a standard growing up in my house and it's spilled over.......no pun intended

Anyway, I like what you've posted about the shared meals and really, what is the difference between families and friends getting together for pot luck BBQs and dinners just for social value and getting together to help make ends meet for everyone involved?

There is no difference that I can see, and if we think about it, all down through time a shared table has been very much in practice and quite the norm, providing not only the sustenance but social contacts all humans need to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJones
    Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    There's truth in humor. In this case, a lot more truth than humor.

Yep....and tragedy also. See? We've got almost all of the theatrical components covered in a few short posts.

That's because you had to prove citizenship, income, and were not irresponsibly breeding.........
    Back then, the immigrants, or those on student visas were tracked like flies on doo-doo. Back then as a student on a visa, you could not work here, had to have a C or higher in every class or be deported. They couldn't change address without a major event. No student was allowed to marry a foreigner without major problems and questions. And they checked. INS probably got the grades before the student did. There was no whining about racism or catering to a certain group of people. Foreigners weren't out causing problems because they were spending time translating the lectures on there own. Back then legal immigrant students knew they risked everything for their families for this chance and there weren't problems.

I was there to see what immigration can do and what they are allowed to do.....that's why this BS now....is just BS. They did it before.....they could do it again.

Also.....back then, you didn't qualify for loans or grants till you were a JR.(in college) Had to prove you were worthy before you got it. No offense here, but I read articles where minority students were funded straight from highschool and failed miserably by the Jr. year.

Hate to be mean but I think you need to prove you can cut it first, before I open my wallet. Another thing they don't do anymore.

Boy, I think the $25 a week would be so nice for a college student, today.

I have a better chance jumping from an airplane than this though.

What to do for Americans?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast