Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Boy, I think the $25 a week would be so nice for a college student, today.
    Mind you, this was back in the 1970's. You went down once.....lines were short and your foodstamps were mailed to you. As long as you were a registerd student....that's all it took. Now the food stamps were for special items only. No already baked and cooked goods. No meats over a certain amount. (no filet mignon or lobster) No frozen food. No pre-made food. (like frozen dinners etc). No deli foods. Didn't cover any cleaning supplies or toliet paper or anything like that. No sugered cereals....no speciality breads (cinnamon, raisen bread, rye, etc) It was basicly scratch foods. No Spagettie O's.....basic scratch foods. Seriously, back then it was 100x's easier to make ends meet. No potatoe chips, no candy bars....etc. You got your NEEDS met.....not your wants.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

use the same pot-window phrase!! It was a standard growing up in my house and it's spilled over.......no pun intended

Anyway, I like what you've posted about the shared meals and really, what is the difference between families and friends getting together for pot luck BBQs and dinners just for social value and getting together to help make ends meet for everyone involved?

There is no difference that I can see, and if we think about it, all down through time a shared table has been very much in practice and quite the norm, providing not only the sustenance but social contacts all humans need to survive.

Exactly. For me.....I enjoyed so many wonderful people of different ethnic backgrounds......something my parents would never had allowed. They were still freaking that I had catholic friends. Seriously.....I never had a meat that wasn't burned to a crisp till then. Never had chop suey.....a calzone....tofu....bean sprouts...salmon...crab legs.....lobster....sole......spagetti sauce with sausage and not hamburger....no different bread at all.....never even knew about the different lettuces.....love the Greek foods and all.....left to my parents....I never would have had them......but.....I broke the mold. And I am tame.....compared to most. My mom loved red-snapper stuffed with crab meat.....my dad likes quail and squirrel and phesant. My one daughter loves anything with the yuck factor. Fog legs, rattle snake, monkey meat.....and the other....anything with cheese. LOL Macaroni oriented.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12