Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Firefighters

Court rules for white firefighters over promotions
    Email this Story

Jun 29, 10:27 AM (ET)

By MARK SHERMAN

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that white firefighters in New Haven, Conn., were unfairly denied promotions because of their race, reversing a decision that high court nominee Sonia Sotomayor endorsed as an appeals court judge.

New Haven was wrong to scrap a promotion exam because no African-Americans and only two Hispanic firefighters were likely to be made lieutenants or captains based on the results, the court said Monday in a 5-4 decision. The city said that it had acted to avoid a lawsuit from minorities.

The ruling could alter employment practices nationwide, potentially limiting the circumstances in which employers can be held liable for decisions when there is no evidence of intentional discrimination against minorities.

"Fear of litigation alone cannot justify an employer's reliance on race to the detriment of individuals who passed the examinations and qualified for promotions," Justice Anthony Kennedy said in his opinion for the court. He was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.
    "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - POGO

I think that this is great news. Promotions should be based on merit and not race or ethnicity.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Good News For Firemen

This is great news. Here is the link:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200906 ... D6GG0.html

This Congress will confirm her anyway, because they are nothing but a bunch of idiots. They'll all have stern words for her, but just like the credit card companies, nothing is ever done. This is how our government has stopped working for us.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hope this is one huge reason NOT to confirm her. Its not just about empathy, she is a racist IMO. Is this what Obama really wants?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    I hope this is one huge reason NOT to confirm her. Its not just about empathy, she is a racist IMO. Is this what Obama really wants?
    I Hope your right!!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Quote Originally Posted by 93camaro
    I Hope your right!!
    i hope that your right also and agree with your comments

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    Quote Originally Posted by 93camaro
    I Hope your right!!
    i hope that your right also and agree with your comments
    I hope this sinks the Racist!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

I hope so too, but I am sure Obama has a boatload of alternates just as bad. I don't think he really cares if she does not get confirmed as long as he ultimately gets an activist, leftist judge appointed. He fulfilled his duty to the Hispanics whose votes he is courting. If she is not confirmed, that will be someone else's fault.

This was wonderful news that I’ve been hoping to hear for months. Racist hiring practices, like what happened here, have no place in 2009 America. I’m very happy for the firefighters who kept up the fight and didn’t cave in.

The thing I find troubling is that Sotomayer and four current judges felt that this was OK. If the people who were discriminated against were more non-white, I don’t think it would have gotten nearly to this level.

Racism is wrong regardless of who it’s against.
    I would never be so arrogant as to move to another country and expect them to change for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast