Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Surging partisanship among American voters

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Surging partisanship among American voters

June 4, 2012 6:46 PM

Poll: Surging partisanship among American voters

By Lucy Madison Topics Campaign 2012 .
    (Credit: CBS/AP) (CBS News)

When it comes to political ideology,
    Americans are more divided than at any point in the last 25 years, according to a new survey from the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press.

The poll shows Republicans and Democrats are increasingly far apart on questions surrounding values and beliefs. In 1987, when Pew began gathering data on how members of both parties feel about a set of 48 value-oriented questions, the average disparity between Republicans and Democrats was 10 points. In 2012, the average was an 18-point difference.

Much of the increase has been relatively recent: Between 1987 and 2002, the differentials fell within a 3-point range, alternating between 9, 10, and 11 points. In 2003, however, the average difference in partisan voter values jumped from 11 to 14 percent, where it remained constant until 2007. In 2009, the number jumped to 16 percent, and in 2012 it reached 18 percent.

While partisan polarization has surged in recent years, the differentials have remained relatively stable among other demographic groups, including race, income, education, religiosity, and gender.

"We've been asking the same questions in the same way for 25 years," said Carroll Doherty, one of the associate directors of the poll, in an interview with Hotsheet. "The partisan divide is now by far the largest single gap among the public and the parties are more polarized than they ever have been in that 25 year period."

According to the survey, conducted from April 4-15 among 3,008 adults nationwide, both Democrats and Republicans have become more ideologically homogeneous in recent years. A majority of Republicans call themselves conservatives, while an increasing number of Democrats identify as liberal. Conservative Republicans outweigh moderates by two to one, and there are about as many self-proclaimed liberal Democrats as moderate Democrats.

The most pronounced divides are between committed supporters of President Obama and Mitt Romney on questions about the scope and performance of the government, as well as issues related to the economy, environment and immigration. Between 1987 and 2012, the partisan division on the role and scope of the government jumped from 6 to 33. Between 1992, when the question was first asked, and 2012, the differential between Republicans and Democrats on questions surrounding the environment catapulted from 5 to 39. On immigration, the difference has jumped from 4 in 2002, when Pew started asking the question, to 24 in 2012.

"The supporters or Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are very far apart on nearly all issues, but what's a little less clear is where roughly a quarter of the voters come down." Those so-called swing voters, Doherty says, are "cross-pressured" -- meaning that "on some issues they side with Romney voters and on some issues they side with Obama voters."

The poll also notes a growing number of Americans who choose to identify as independents rather than Democrats or Republicans.

Thirty-eight percent of the survey's respondents said they identify as independents, while just 32 percent of called themselves Democrats, and 24 percent identified as Republicans.

"The number of independents continues to rise," said Doherty. "It's at the highest percentage in more than 70 years, and the percent affiliating with a party is at its lowest percentage."

Doherty cited a growing dissatisfaction with both parties -- as well as Washington -- as part of the reason for that change.

"Roughly 10 years ago you had roughly equal numbers of Republicans, Democrats and independents," Doherty said. "But as we've seen the parties pull apart, the number of independents has grown."

Poll: Surging partisanship among American voters - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

People are getting sick of both Democrats and Republicans failing our nation.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC View Post

W
    You said it! Neither of the two choices we have vying for the Presidency will get my vote. There are millions of ex-Republicans and ex-Democrats who I'm willing to bet are waiting for that independent candidate to get in the ring to vote for.

This is an article that I saved. This is someone who knew and worked with Mitt.

This is just one of the reasons that I will vote for Mitt. I worked with Mitt to run the Olympic games, and we were so bankrupt until he came along...man that guy knows how to run things and how to treat people with kindness and decency.

He gives tirelessly of himself, all for free, just to make people happy and never charging a dime. I've never seen anything turn around so much so fast. He runs a very efficient ship and everyone gets along so well.

His enthusiasm and kindness were so infectious, he convinced 40,000 people to willingly sign up to work 2 1/2 weeks for free to run the games. They could see their time wouldn't be wasted. Everyone knew he was going to be president someday, and if he isn't, this nation will have missed out on the best president this nations ever had.

He's honest and trustworthy, always does what he says he'll do, and he's prepared and smart. Mitt Romney is a person who just forgets himself and goes to work and that's what this nation needs.Like

Romney sees jump in voters who hold positive view of him - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by googler View Post
    Neither of the two choices we have vying for the Presidency will get my vote.
    We definitely won't need it!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

W
    Won't it be great to get and Independent write in candidate to win, just to teach them all a lesson.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

With more Independents than Democrats or Republicans no one can win in November without the Independent voters.
    Thirty-eight percent of the survey's respondents said they identify as Independents, while just 32 percent of called themselves Democrats, and 24 percent identified as Republicans.
    NO AMNESTY

It's nice to see Obama's game plan seems to be working so well.

We've dealt with liars and thieves in the White House and Congress for so long it's hard for people to believe there are still good people left in this world.

Call me a fool, or a Kool-aid drinker, I still believe there are still enough good people left to set this thing right. I'm just going by what I've seen here!

NO AMNESTY

W
    If ever I felt like a voter with no candidate this is the year. I celebrate that others feel the same, as until we demand a voice.and choices, they will not be provided.

I know people from Utah that was involved with the SLC Olympics and I have'nt heard one voice speak highly of Romney from thiose of that group. Obama I was never elated about as candidate or President. Where do we turn? Because this survey will get both sides doing surveys on what we want to hear, which will prompt untruthful promises or so-called convictions from both candidates to achieve getting elected. Think long and hard before votin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast