Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Thomas Paine talks "Common Sense" about iCaucus

Thomas Paine talks "Common Sense" about iCaucus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ81wsqMWIM

June 01, 2010
    The legendary Thomas Paine, aka Bob Basso, talks "Common Sense" about iCaucus candidates and The Constitution.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Does anybody else find it ironic that Thomas Paine is the unofficial mascot of the tea party? Thomas Paine wrote The Age of Reason, a book that criticizes institutionalized religion and challenges the legitimacy of the Bible, yet the tea partiers ignore it and go on their bible-thumping crusades while dressing up in wigs and period costumes. If the tea party had their way, the progress of this country would be wiped away in the name of religion.
    Don't think about all the things you fear, just be glad you're here.

"As to religion, I hold it to be the indispensable duty of all governments to protect all conscientious professors thereof, and I know of no other business which government hath to do therewith." Thomas Paine

I have more DarthIllegal, and I am left wondering if there is some gray area between religion and natural law with some of the historical figures of the past. By that I mean separation of personal religious sentiment from natural law as it concerns their written opinions concerning law. I have seen references that state some adherents of natural law have found it possible and comfortable for their Christian faith to not be viewed as contrary or separate from natural law. The two can co-mingle without obfuscating either.

Thomas Paine was raised a Quaker, yet is credited with being a Deist by some, and a atheist by others, so I have seen posted...........for whatever that is worth. The atheist part can be laid to rest from what writings I have read attributed to Paine. There are some of his writings that make him seem much like a Christian, and many others that he sounds like a Deist, and some that make him seem very critical of religion, although that may be due to things being taken out of context.

Agree with some of your statement Roundabout. Paine was NOT an atheist as people try to claim. If you haven't, you should read Age of Reason, which cannot be taken out of context. It is clear that Paine obviously wants to protect the right of religion, but asks people to be a little more open minded about their religion.

If I read your second paragraph correctly, I agree with that. As a matter of fact, Christians should be happy that science is at the cusp of proving that there indeed is a "God", but just not in a religious or dogmatic point of view. What we are discovering is that God IS natural law.

The problem I have is when religious folk and atheists deny this science because it conflicts with their views. This, in essence is what Paine talked about. If you are going adhere to a particular religion, fine. Just be sure that your religion progresses with the times, because the world isn't flat anymore.
    Don't think about all the things you fear, just be glad you're here.

DarthIllegal wrote,
    Paine was NOT an atheist as people try to claim.
    We agree.......again. My bone of contention lies with those that purposefully try to hijack history, to pervert, and spin tales of twisted deceit meant to mislead. Separation of Church and State is a great example. It means nothing close to what it has been spun off to suggest. Upon a little investigation, I have found a ton of material that goes to the contrary of those that have tried, and succeeded to a certain and dangerous extent, to twist the original intent of the phrase. Such deception is abhorrent, and does to those that claim to be atheists, and/or progressives, and possessive of common morals no service to continue the lies. One must be either foolish or evil to continue espousing such blatant lies. The fool knows no better, and evil cares not for truth when control is the ultimate goal.

Here is to free will....Cheers.

"Had it not been for America, there had been no such thing as freedom left throughout the whole universe." Thomas Paine