Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trump orders military 'celebration' in Washington, DC

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump orders military 'celebration' in Washington, DC

Trump orders military 'celebration' in Washington, DC

By Nicole Darrah | Fox News
    6 hours ago

Troops march over the Memorial Bridge in Washington, D.C., as they head towards the Pentagon during the National Victory Day Parade on Saturday, June 8, 1991.

Troops march over the Memorial Bridge in Washington, D.C., as they head towards the Pentagon during the National Victory Day Parade on Saturday, June 8, 1991. (Doug Mills/AP Photo)

President Trump has ordered the Pentagon to plan a military “celebration” in Washington, D.C. to show “appreciation” for the U.S. Armed Forces.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders confirmed on Tuesday that Trump requested such an event.

“President Trump is incredibly supportive of America’s great service members who risk their lives every day to keep our country safe. He has asked the Department of Defense to explore a celebration at which all Americans can show their appreciation,” Sanders said.

Trump had previously considered the idea of a military parade through the streets of the nation’s capital after attending France’s Bastille Day as the guest of honor in July. The president admired the country’s celebrations, and called the parade “magnificent.”

Trump made the order in a Jan. 18 meeting with top generals, The Washington Post reported.

The president reportedly ordered: “I want a parade like the one in France,” with soldiers marching and tanks rolling.

Months after Trump’s inauguration in early 2017, The Huffington Post reported, citing an email from a Pentagon official, that Trump’s Inaugural Committee was “seriously considering adding military vehicles to the Inaugural Parade.”

Despite confirmation of the order, a White House official told The Washington Post that the event is just in a “brainstorming” phase right now. Pentagon spokesperson Charlie Summers said officials are “looking at options.”

France’s Bastille Day — an annual July 14 holiday to celebrate a turning point in the French Revolution, similar to celebrations held on America’s Fourth of July — showcases its military’s strength by parading its tanks and fighter jets, followed by a fireworks display.

The last time a military parade marched through Washington, D.C. was at the conclusion of the Gulf War in June 1991. The National Victory Celebration Parade, which strolled down Constitution Avenue, reportedly cost more than $12 million.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...ington-dc.html
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't know about this one. I understand he wants to show appreciation and celebrate our military and I also understand he was very impressed with the parade in France for Bastille Day, but I don't know about this for the United States. We have always been reluctant warriors, out of need. It was never for status, glory or attention. I think the military needs to be really honest with the President about whether they think this is the right thing to do or not.

I honestly think they would prefer a huge picnic with great food and music and some great speakers instead of a parade.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I don't know about this one. I understand he wants to show appreciation and celebrate our military and I also understand he was very impressed with the parade in France for Bastille Day, but I don't know about this for the United States. We have always been reluctant warriors, out of need. It was never for status, glory or attention. I think the military needs to be really honest with the President about whether they think this is the right thing to do or not.

I honestly think they would prefer a huge picnic with great food and music and some great speakers instead of a parade.
    Yes!
    They are reserved in front of the cameras but behind closed doors they party hard. Everyday they are on call for their country and that is a source of pride.
    Every 10th of November, a party was always planned and they would be drinking and dancing until the sun came up.
    That is, of course, if my memory serves me correctly.
    0351 Dragons
    Thundering Third Battalion Fourth Marines
    Weapons Company
    33 Area (Margarita)
    They moved to Twenty Nine Palms, later

Let those boys party!
    Ooh-rah!

Yes, I'm so glad you agree! We could have them all over the country! Wonderful picnics, BBQ's, all types of great food and drinks, live music and speeches with Americans celebrating with our wonderful military! You could have them in every major city and every small town. Each area would select their own cuisine, music and speakers. Americans who can attend would buy a ticket which would help pay for free food and drinks for all the military and their families. Pentagon could budget some funds to help out as well, and we could have fund-raisers to hit up our big companies to sponsor a lot of it, too, since they make a lot of money off our military budgets. We could call the events "Thank You For Our Freedom Picnics", thanking our military and veterans for the freedoms they fought for and defend to this day.

This would also give our military the chance to mingle with our citizens and know first-hand how much we love and appreciate them. To me, that would be a much better celebration for them, than our military having to be under pressure to do so much work to get ready for a parade, that no matter how you cut it will be extremely controversial and full of anti-American criticism. It's also not much of a thank you when the people you want to thank are doing all the work which isn't fun for them, but just more work.

Lets get that message to the President so he understands, we need a party, not a parade.

It is going to be nice ,they're so pride of their uniform, army drill have always impress me.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    A military parade is something I would expect to see in communist China or some dictatorship, not the United States. As a retired military member, I do not support parading tanks, missiles, jeeps, and marching soldiers through our cities. Inclusion in parades from local VFW organizations is enough.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

March them through Sanctuary Cities with authority to arrest protesting illegal aliens!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    A military parade is something I would expect to see in communist China or some dictatorship, not the United States. As a retired military member, I do not support parading tanks, missiles, jeeps, and marching soldiers through our cities. Inclusion in parades from local VFW organizations is enough.
    What Trump wants is a bigger parade than North Korea with bigger missiles and bigger warplanes, etc.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    What Trump wants is a bigger parade than North Korea with bigger missiles and bigger warplanes, etc.
    Yep, and that is unsatisfactory in my opinion. The most powerful military in the world doesn't need to parade its ego or flex its muscles publicly for all to see. VFW participation in Veteran Day parades is all we need. That's about honoring our veterans and military, not showing off or pumping up the Commander-in-Chief's ego for the rest of the world.

Honoring our military and veterans is one thing, but it's something all together different when you set out to showcase your ego at the expense of our military men and women (past & present). Furthermore, I can think of better ways to spend our tax dollars. How about using the money a huge military parade would cost to help improve our VA hospitals and other veteran services?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn