Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Two GOP governor hopefuls campaign in mountains (NC)

Two GOP governor hopefuls campaign in mountains
    By Julia Merchant • Staff Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two candidates in the Republican primary for North Carolina governor stopped through Western North Carolina in the past week.

On Dec. 5, Fred Smith, a Clayton businessman, attended a barbeque luncheon hosted by the Swain County Republicans Club. Nearly 30 people turned out to hear Smith’s campaign speech — one of many Smith is giving as he embarks on a whirlwind 100-county tour. It’s Smith’s 46th trip to the mountains this year, according to his campaign manager.

Candidate and WNC native Bob Orr popped into the Haywood Community College Regional High Tech center Dec. 10 to discuss workforce development with Haywood County’s Economic Development Commission Director Mark Clasby and community college officials. Orr talked about the role of the community college in WNC and toured the facility.

A third candidate, Salisbury lawyer Bill Graham, didn’t make it to the mountains this week but contributed to this article via a telephone interview.

The Smoky Mountain News asked the candidates what they would do for Western North Carolina and got their take on three important issues — education, infrastructure, and illegal immigration — that are playing out in this election. For more information about each of the candidates, visit the Web sites listed by their names.

FYI — a straw poll of 203 voters conducted at the NC GOP’s Hall of Fame Dinner on Nov. 17 showed Fred Smith leading the way with 63 percent of the votes, followed by Bob Orr with 22 percent and Bill Graham with 15 percent.

Look for early coverage of the Democratic gubernatorial primary and the lieutenant governor’s race in upcoming issues of the Smoky Mountain News.

Bill Graham

Home: Salisbury

Profession: Lawyer

What he’ll do for WNC: Make sure the region gets its fair share of lottery money by supporting efforts to re-write the distribution formula, which has been roundly criticized by lawmakers from the region. Improve infrastructure, including the region’s many substandard bridges and congestion around Asheville. Also, he’ll stay on top of environmental concerns, particularly coal-burning plants, and will work to use as much clean coal technology as possible.

Education: Wants to start initiatives aimed at improving middle schools and encouraging early college degree programs in high schools. Would also establish a trust fund for lottery money to make sure the money is awarded on a per pupil basis.

Infrastructure: Would put a stop to taking money out of the Highway Trust Fund and address congestion issues on roads, including widening I-40. Also, would re-empower county commissioners and local governments to make their own decisions about their infrastructure needs.

Illegal immigration: Stop giving driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants.

Bob Orr

Home: Formerly Hendersonville and Asheville, now Raleigh and Yancey County

Profession: Former judge on NC Court of Appeals and state Supreme Court

What he’ll do for WNC: Orr is the only Republican primary candidate who hails from the western part of the state. He says this gives him a major advantage here. “WNC is my home and since I have spent so much time here, I know the communities, people and specific issues they’re facing,â€

If I lived in N.C., Smith would have my vote! As it is, I will be sending this info to all my N.C. relatives!