Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Monsanto has been selling seed with the terminator gene to African countries for years. I would support a grassroots class-action against this company, as well as all companies in agribusiness that engage in these shenanigans. There is plenty of GM corn and soy which is Round-Up ready. Once I interviewed the chairman of a company that made some great teriyaki soy substitute for chicken sold at the health food store, and when I asked if he could be sure the soy the was not GM or Round-Up ready, he hung up on me.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AE, you are right! Everywhere I have lived recently (property I owned) falls under the jurisdiction of the local government who would not allow me to keep a couple of chickens. Luckily, tomatoes and herbs have not been banned (yet) as they do not make as much noise as chickens would. Of course I am subject to the noise of the college kids coming home with all 19 speakers in the car booming as they open all the doors to clean out the car and the fellow that recently bought a motorcycle that rattles my windows every day he goes by.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Monsanto has been selling seed with the terminator gene to African countries for years. I would support a grassroots class-action against this company, as well as all companies in agribusiness that engage in these shenanigans. There is plenty of GM corn and soy which is Round-Up ready. Once I interviewed the chairman of a company that made some great teriyaki soy substitute for chicken sold at the health food store, and when I asked if he could be sure the soy the was not GM or Round-Up ready, he hung up on me.
    I have read several times that soy is almost all infected with the GM genes. That is what is so scary. It is replacing natural grown crops.

Sometimes the danger comes from the processing of the grains, soybeans processed with Drano and lye used in other food products.

Control the food, control the world.

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18247
    "It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself".
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    There is a worthwhile organization called American Farmland Trust in the USA. I have conributed to them because I believe in this cause. Their slogan is "No Farms No Food". This is their website.

http://www.farmland.org/

This is from one of their pages:

Farm and food policy recommendations for the obama administration

The need has never been greater for this country to address the problems and opportunities facing agriculture. The incoming Administration has made it clear that energy and environmental policies are a leading priority—indeed “a defining test of our time.â€

AE

Saved this one to read later Shocked. We live along the Columbia River Gorge, and it is a short trip to drive along I-84 to all of Oregons wheat farms in Central NE Oregon. I love to go out there, especially right before the wheat is cut. It is, to me, a sign of America (literally amber waves of grain, as far as the eyes can see).

I loathe the idea that some corporation is taking that over. The people that own these lands and farm it are already a dying breed to some degree, but to imagine having big business doing it instead....no.

I have said it probably too many times here, but I really wish the Homestead Act had not been repealed. I think it has hurt Americans by forcing us to live in crowded cities and in unhealthy conditions. I wish there was a way to have that reversed.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

This should also be a major focus of this new administration. Our food producers are in more need of a stimulus than car companies or banks that buy other banking assets or loan money for one company to buy another (Pfizer just was loaned $22 billion by five banks to be able to buy Wyeth, and that money the banks loaned came from the taxpayers). Our food producers are losing. The American fishing industry is nearly dead with cheap overseas imports. Catfish from Vietnam got tariffs put on them, so they simply changed the name to basa. And Darden Restaurants (owners of Red Lobster and Olive Garden) import most of their seafood, including farm-raised shrimp from China, but just to be kept alive, these shrimp are fed antibiotics and who knows what else. And there have been plenty of instances where imported seafood have been rejected because of Chloramphemicol, which can cause bone marrow loss and kidney failure. But then you have to wonder how much gets through unnoticed since Bush gang decided to cut a lot of ag inspectors.
    IMO, the stimulus should be focused on food, with money going to tearing down urban and suburban homes that have been foreclosed and have been ripped to shreds. Money should go to test and clean the soil from chemicals, composted manure and vegetable seeds. And there should be a serious look at farm subsidies, as so many of them are going to non-farmers (like doctors groups owning ag land, where every year they keep the cheap taxes, plant a few crops and then let them die in the field, just waiting for the moment they can sell the land to a developer for a profit. A developer I once worked for in Fla., owned 27 acres of ag land and actually rented cows so they would not lose the tax benefit.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12