Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US 'to take 7,000 Iraq refugees' ( just the beginning )

US 'to take 7,000 Iraq refugees'

Millions have been displaced internally and externally in the war
    The US is to take in another 7,000 Iraqi refugees over the next year amid rising international concern over those fleeing the insurgency, officials said. The number represents a huge increase on the 463 refugees the US has taken in since the four-year-old war began.
    Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has been outlining the plan in talks with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.

The UN estimates that up to 50,000 Iraqis flee each month and that 3.8m have left since the war started.
    Most of the refugees have headed for Syria and Jordan. But both countries have tried to cut the influx, narrowing options for those fleeing.
    The new US plan was revealed by state department officials ahead of a formal announcement on Wednesday.
    The 7,000 refugees would move to the US from countries they have already reached.
    State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said the figures was a "target" not a ceiling.
    ( cassie : so the first 7,000 is just the beginning )

The plan, outlined by Ms Rice to UN refugee chief Antonio Guterres,
    would also afford special treatment to those in Iraq who were at risk of sectarian attack through providing the US with information.
    ( Cassie : how many will get this " special treatment " ?? How many Iraqi's are at risk of sectarian violence ?
    I bet a few million, including Kurds, Sunnis, and shiites. 3.8 million have already left
    )

The UN has called for $60m (£30.5m) from nations for a global resettlement programme. The US is expected to pledge $18m.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6362289.stm

------------------------------------------

The first 7,000 will arrive pretty soon, and be followed by probably tens of thousand more. Maybe all 3,8 million, why not ? I really don't care, we made a mess of their country. I'm against illegals from any country, but all Iraqis can come here legally, we started this mess. Now, Crocket and any other person that supports this war, hope you make your preparations to open up your houses. You should be the ones to carry the burden of these refugees, you supported this war. Refugees are a site effect of the war. But no, we'll have to carry the burden, and I oppose illegals coming to this country from any country where we have NOT created a mess, but we made a mess of Iraq, we need to pay the price.

A concerned Cassie
    mkfarnam, thank you so much for ya help. My laptop & windows are working again as it used to be. Thanks to you !!!

Banned
    Your math must not be very good, cassie, because even if we allowed ten times that amount of Iraqi refugees to relocate to the US, that number would represent less that 0.025% of the population. That's just one person out of every 4286. If those 7,000 ALL moved to my little suburb, they would represent only 3.5% of the population. If they ALL moved to the Dallas area in general, they would represent only about 0.14% of the population. You'd have to be pretty damned xenophobic for that to be an issue.

As it happens, I am friends with a number of Iranians in the Dallas area whose families came here as refugees whn the Shah was overthrown. I would be happy to have any of them as neighbors, and most of them are stand-up citizens who now own various businesses and restaurants in the area. I don't see why the Iraqis would be any different. Furthermore, I met a Kurdish Iraqi on the train from Frankfurt to Munich on my last trip to Germany. He was one of the friendliest people I met on the entire trip. Again, this is someone I would have no problem having as a next door neighbor or going out and getting a beer with.

It would be nice if the Iraqi Christians could be resettled in Lebanon.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The 7,000 is just the beginning, read the article with more care, CG. We will not alllow 10 times 7,000, we will probably and should allow up to a million. And that's only 25% of all refugees.

Our officials are talking about special treatment to people that face sectarian violence and this number will be millions.

Cassie
    mkfarnam, thank you so much for ya help. My laptop & windows are working again as it used to be. Thanks to you !!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cassie
    The 7,000 is just the beginning, read the article with more care, CG. We will not alllow 10 times 7,000, we will probably and should allow up to a million. And that's only 25% of all refugees.

Our officials are talking about special treatment to people that face sectarian violence and this number will be millions.

Cassie
    That's nothing more than wild speculation on your part.

it makes one wonder how many extremist's will be enbedded in this group.

There talking at least 2 million of them coming to the USA. Take 2 percent of that figure being islamic extremist's and you have a problem on your hands.

I'd call that an issue. Maybe it's time others figured it out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    it makes one wonder how many extremist's will be enbedded in this group.

There talking at least 2 million of them coming to the USA. Take 2 percent of that figure being islamic extremist's and you have a problem on your hands.

I'd call that an issue. Maybe it's time others figured it out.
    Who are you talking about when you say that "there (sic) talking at least 2 million"?

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    Quote Originally Posted by cassie

Cassie
    That's nothing more than wild speculation on your part.
    This is what I want to pay the warmongers back.
    I'll pay the Republicans back by voting Democrat and advice everyone I personally know to vote for the Democrats. I know many people that usually don't vote, but I've convinced them to do so, and to vote Democrat. I just link the Republicans to the war, which most American oppose today. I like to play the war card in discussions and pilotics, I know most oppose the war, link it to the GOP, and people will vote Democrat

Banned

Double

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast