Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US wants to paint the world white to save energy

US wants to paint the world white to save energy

LONDON(AFP) (AFP) – US Energy Secretary Steven Chu said Tuesday the Obama administration wanted to paint roofs an energy-reflecting white, as he took part in a climate change symposium in London.

The Nobel laureate in physics called for a "new revolution" in energy generation to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

But he warned there was no silver bullet for tackling climate change, and said a range of measures should be introduced, including painting flat roofs white.

Making roads and roofs a paler colour could have the equivalent effect of taking every car in the world off the road for 11 years, Chu said.

It was a geo-engineering scheme that was "completely benign" and would keep buildings cooler and reduce energy use from air conditioning, as well as reflecting sunlight back away from the Earth.

For people who found white hard on the eye, scientists had also developed "cool colours" which looked to the human eye like normal ones, but reflect heat like pale colours even if they are darker shades.

And painting cars in cool or light colours could deliver considerable savings on energy use for air conditioning units, he said.

Speaking at the start of a symposium on climate change hosted by the Prince of Wales and attended by more than 20 Nobel laureates, Chu said fresh thinking was required to cut the amount of carbon created by power generation.

He said: "The industrial revolution was a revolution in the use of energy. It offloaded from human and animal power into using fossil fuels.

"We have to go to a different new revolution that can severely decrease the amount of carbon emissions in the generation of energy."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090526/sc ... britainchu
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

LOL!!! If this wasn't so silly, it would be sad.

Has this admin gone nuts???

Extreme environmentalism is one of the stepping stones for the NWO.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well.....should dark-colored humans change their skin color as well? I guess Michael Jackson had the right idea after all!

Count all the ways we are under attack: illegal aliens invasion; global climate does change without man; Federal Reserve Banking is not federal; Congress and the other government agencies are stealing from us, Religious Wars, New World Order with the North America Union; fraud and crimes against the citizens and the courts find criminals not guilty; corporate America and business think they can break laws and get many tax breaks; the bombing of Starbucks - more to come, bailouts on top of bailouts; electronic medical records ends second or more opinions on medical condition; no more water or food is to come, too; there are only 17 of 3,000 districts in the country using 287g Program; E-Verifying is not strong enough and runs out in September 2009;

STOP SPENDING ALL MONEY IF POSSIBLE

How long has it been this BAD!

Why don't we just count the United States Citizens this Census and realign Congress correctly to "We the People"

Painting roof white? Has Chu gone off the deep end? If most municipal buildings with flat roofs would have roofgardens, the plants would be producing oxygen while rain forests keep disappearing in South America. And if pitched roofs had solar panels installed, that energy from the sun would get this country and the rest of the world off of fossil fuels, which would definitely put a dent in the income of countries that don't like us being in the world. (There is emerging technology where solar cells can be printed on a printer or embedded into window glass.)
    Most climates in this country need a dark roof to be able to absorb the sun's heat during winter and if that warmth is fed into the home, there is a serious reduction in heating bills. There are plenty of passive solar homes that are an example of this in this country.
    Hopefully, this was a mistranslation or someone give me this character's email and I will be glad to point out the mistakes of painting the world's roofs white.

We have some true losers in Washington getting paid

vm, WHAT? We are paying these fools? I am shocked, absolutely shocked!
    Sputtering idiocy is not what my tax dollars need to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    vm, WHAT? We are paying these fools? I am shocked, absolutely shocked!
    Sputtering idiocy is not what my tax dollars need to go for.

LOL.......just think of all the icky carbon emissions we'd be spared if they'd all just shut up V

April
    Another day to make a difference, please join in!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-903211.html#903211

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Painting roof white? Has Chu gone off the deep end? If most municipal buildings with flat roofs would have roofgardens, the plants would be producing oxygen while rain forests keep disappearing in South America. And if pitched roofs had solar panels installed, that energy from the sun would get this country and the rest of the world off of fossil fuels, which would definitely put a dent in the income of countries that don't like us being in the world. (There is emerging technology where solar cells can be printed on a printer or embedded into window glass.)
    Most climates in this country need a dark roof to be able to absorb the sun's heat during winter and if that warmth is fed into the home, there is a serious reduction in heating bills. There are plenty of passive solar homes that are an example of this in this country.
    Hopefully, this was a mistranslation or someone give me this character's email and I will be glad to point out the mistakes of painting the world's roofs white.
    Exactly. Solar cells are getting more and more efficient everyday. Roof gardens are great as well.

I always thought that IF one day the US does something about illegal immigration, then that would leave empty neighborhoods in many areas. I know here in Ft Worth, there is a couple of areas where illegals live, and these homes are so old and dilapidated, that they need to be demolished. Once illegals are gone, I say we let nature reclaim that land in an effort to re-green the landscape. That would help I think.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast