Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

VIDEO : Hank's All Star Band, ESPN Monday Night Football

Hank Williams Jr.

[size=150][b]"President Barack Obama golfing with Republican House Speaker John Boehner was akin to “Hitler playing golf with Netanyahu.â€

If Dixie Chick was a traitor, is Hank Williams Jr., too?

BY RICHARD ROEPER rroeper@suntimes.com October 5, 2011 10:54AM

We’ve said it before, we’ll say it again:

You can’t play the Hitler card. Leave the Hitler card in the deck. Unless you’re comparing Hitler to Hitler, you can’t win.

Hank Williams Jr., who seemed extra, um, animated during that now-infamous appearance on “Fox & Friendsâ€

Pretty cool song! Hank Jr. tells it like it is!
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

ESPN Cuts Hank Williams From Monday Night Football Over Obama 'Hitler' Remark

Published October 03, 2011 | Associated Press

BRISTOL, Conn. – ESPN pulled Hank Williams Jr.'s classic intro song from its broadcast of Monday night's NFL game after the country singer famous for the line "Are you ready for some football?" used an analogy to Adolf Hitler in discussing President Barack Obama.

In an interview Monday morning on Fox News' "Fox & Friends," Williams, unprompted, said of Obama's outing on the links with House Speaker John Boehner: "It'd be like Hitler playing golf with (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu."

Asked by the hosts to clarify, Williams said, "They're the enemy," adding that by "they" he meant Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.

Anchor Gretchen Carlson later said to him, "You used the name of one of the most hated people in all of the world to describe, I think, the president." Williams replied, "Well, that is true. But I'm telling you like it is."

"While Hank Williams Jr. is not an ESPN employee, we recognize that he is closely linked to our company through the open to 'Monday Night Football,"' the network said in a statement. "We are extremely disappointed with his comments, and as a result we have decided to pull the open from tonight's telecast."

Williams released a statement through his publicist, saying: "Some of us have strong opinions and are often misunderstood. My analogy was extreme -- but it was to make a point. I was simply trying to explain how stupid it seemed to me -- how ludicrous that pairing was. They're polar opposites and it made no sense. They don't see eye-to-eye and never will. I have always respected the office of the president."

ESPN did not say whether the intro, synonymous with "Monday Night Football" since 1989, would be used again after this week's Colts- Buccaneers game.

"Every time the media brings up the tea party it's painted as racist and extremists -- but there's never a backlash -- no outrage to those comparisons," Williams' statement continued. "Working-class people are hurting -- and it doesn't seem like anybody cares. When both sides are high-fiving it on the ninth hole when everybody else is without a job -- it makes a whole lot of us angry. Something has to change. The policies have to change."

The song "All My Rowdy Friends Are Here on Monday Night" is a remixed version of his 1984 hit "All My Rowdy Friends are Coming Over Tonight." The version won Williams four Emmy Awards in the early 1990s as the opening theme to "Monday Night Football," then on ABC.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... er-remark/

awesome....PREACH ON BOCEPHUS!!!!!!!!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ABC Sports "Monday Night Football" All My Rowdy Friends Promo - 1989

http://youtu.be/DbpaxjNlGNw

HANK WILLIAMS JR.

[size=150][b] “the country the shape is inâ€

Of course, the same folks defending Williams might not have been as tolerant of Natalie Maines and the Dixie Chicks after Maines voiced her personal feelings about George W. Bush. Remember how the Dixie Chicks were labeled as traitors?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Dixie Chicks make these remarks on foreign soil to a foreign press/audience? If so, IMO, this is quite different than exercising ones free speech rights on American television on American soil.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Hank Williams Jr. apologizes for Hitler-Obama comparison

By Michael Martinez, CNN

(CNN) -- Hank Williams Jr. apologized Tuesday for comparing President Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler, a remark that prompted controversy and resulted in "Monday Night Football" pulling his popular musical introduction from this week's game.

His statement Tuesday went beyond his Monday statement, in which he said "my analogy was extreme -- but it was to make a point."

On Tuesday, the country singer stated: "I have always been very passionate about politics and sports and this time it got the best or worst of me.

"The thought of the leaders of both parties jukin' [sic] and high fiven' [sic] on a golf course, while so many families are struggling to get by, simply made me boil over and make a dumb statement, and I am very sorry if it offended anyone. I would like to thank all my supporters. This was not written by some publicist," Williams wrote.

Williams made the comparison on Fox News this week when he was asked about Obama and House Speaker John Boehner, a Republican, playing on the same team in a June golf game.

Earlier Tuesday, the Anti-Defamation League condemned Williams' comments and praised ESPN for pulling his "Are You Ready for Some Football?" musical recording that opens "Monday Night Football."

"The Holocaust was a singular event in human history, and it is an insult to the memory of the millions who died as a result of Hitler's plan of mass extermination to compare the Nazi dictator to any American president," said Abraham H. Foxman, ADL national director and a Holocaust survivor.

"Hank Williams Jr. should know better. He owes an apology to Holocaust survivors, their families, and the brave American soldiers who gave of themselves to fight the Nazi menace during World War II. The last thing we need is to enter another election cycle on a sour note tainted with inappropriate, tired and over-the-top analogies to the Nazis," he said.

"ESPN responded appropriately and did the right thing in pulling the Hank Williams Jr. football song from the airwaves," Foxman said.

On Tuesday, ESPN said it had made no decision on Williams' future beyond the Monday night telecast, according to Bill Hofheimer, senior director of communications at ESPN.

Williams has criticized Obama in the past, when the Democrat was running for the presidency. In 2008, Williams was even mentioned in some media outlets as saying he was considering running for the U.S. Senate as a Republican in the next election cycle, but those plans never materialized.

Williams, who supported the Republican ticket in 2008 and even penned a song called "McCain-Palin Tradition," said during that campaign that candidate Obama didn't like the national anthem.

The "McCain-Palin Tradition" song, which is a riff on the Williams tune "Family Tradition," included a line suggesting that Obama has "terrorist friends."

The day before voting in the 2008 election, Williams said: "You know, I'm usually at Monday Night Football tonight, but Colorado, this is a lot more important tonight. Join me now in our national -- you know, that song that, uh, Mr. Obama's not real crazy about, we're singing it right now." Williams then performed his version of the anthem.

In an appearance on Fox News' "Fox and Friends" on Monday morning, Williams referred to a June golf game with Obama and House Speaker John Boehner on the same team, against Vice President Joe Biden and Ohio Gov. John Kasich, as "one of the biggest political mistakes ever."

Asked what he didn't like about it, Williams said, "Come on, come on. That'd be like Hitler playing golf with (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu. OK. Not hardly."

When one of the Fox News interviewers later pointed out that Williams invoked "one of the most hated people in all of the world to describe ... the president," Williams responded: "That is true, but I'm telling you like it is, you know. That just wasn't a good thing. It just didn't fly. So anyway, like Fred Thompson said, you don't want to ask me a question because I'm going to give you too straight of an answer. So talk about something else."

Thompson, an actor and ABC Radio Network commentator, was a Republican senator from Tennessee and one-time candidate for the Republican presidential nomination.

In a statement Monday, ESPN said that while Williams "is not an ESPN employee, we recognize that he is closely linked to our company through the open to 'Monday Night Football.' We are extremely disappointed with his comments and as a result we have decided to pull the open from tonight's telecast."

In a statement issued through a representative, Williams, son of legendary country singer Hank Williams, acknowledged his analogy was "extreme -- but it was to make a point."

"Some of us have strong opinions and are often misunderstood," the country singer said. "... I was simply trying to explain how stupid it seemed to me -- how ludicrous that pairing was. They're polar opposites, and it made no sense. They don't see eye-to-eye and never will."

Williams, however, said he has "always respected the office of the president."

Still, he noted, "Every time the media brings up the tea party, it's painted as racist and extremists -- but there's never a backlash, no outrage to those comparisons. ... Working-class people are hurting -- and it doesn't seem like anybody cares. When both sides are high-fiving it on the ninth hole when everybody else is without a job -- it makes a whole lot of us angry. Something has to change. The policies have to change."

In Nashville, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum said the controversy won't affect its ongoing exhibit of "Family Tradition: The Williams Family Legacy," a 5,000-square-foot display about Williams and his family, including his father, an iconic country singer himself, spokeswoman Tina Wright said.

In 2009, the museum extended the exhibit through the end of 2011, citing "overwhelming positive response," spokesmen said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/04/showbiz/w ... index.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast