Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Vietnam vets lobby for a day of honor

Vietnam vets lobby for a day of honor

Posted 2m ago
    By Judy Keen, USA TODAY

Some Vietnam War veterans are fighting for a day of their own.

They have persuaded several state legislatures and dozens of cities to designate Vietnam Veterans Day and are lobbying others for a symbol of the gratitude and respect they believe they were denied when they came home from an unpopular war.

"We served with honor and we want people to know that," says Bill Albracht, 61, secretary of the Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) chapter in the Quad Cities area of Iowa and Illinois. "We were ridiculed and defamed … and we took it. Now we're trying to set the record straight."

The U.S. honors all of its war veterans on Nov. 11. Several area cities passed proclamations making March 30 Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day, and on Tuesday, Albracht will ask the Rock Island County (Ill.) Board for support.

VIETNAM MEMORIAL: Family perseveres to get vet's name on wall
    REPAIRS: Vietnam Veterans Memorial gets a facelift

Some advocates say the last U.S. troops left Vietnam on March 30, 1973; others say the correct date is March 29 and support recognizing Vietnam War veterans on that day. Neither group is seeking a national holiday that gives federal workers the day off.

"People really just want some recognition," says John Rowan, national VVA president.

In September, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed legislation making March 30 Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.

"They're still a lost generation out there in many ways," says Assemblyman Paul Cook, a Republican and Vietnam War veteran.

José Ramos, 60, a Vietnam veteran in Whittier, Calif., helped lead the effort in his state. Working for appreciation for vets helps him cope with the war's still-vivid scars, he says. "I'm really proud, but my nightmares are my nightmares," he says.

Dann Dunham, 60, a Vietnam veteran in Crossville, Tenn., who organizes efforts to commemorate Vietnam War vets on March 29, says at least eight states have passed proclamations and there are active campaigns in others.

Veterans in Ohio are working for passage of legislation there. "It doesn't cost anything, it's so simple — how could anyone be against it?" says Paul Hauke, 61, a Vietnam War veteran from Sandusky, Ohio. He will be in Columbus this week to make the case.

Donald Lanthorn, with the Ohio American Legion, testified in a legislative committee against the proposed March 29 holiday there, in part because William Calley, the Army officer who led the 1968 My Lai massacre in Vietnam, was convicted on that date in 1971.

"We're not convinced," Lanthorn says, that a separate day of recognition for Vietnam War vets is needed, but "we're not attempting to demean their service."

Diane Finnemann will mark the third Vietnam veterans observance next month in Minnesota, where her lobbying helped win passage in 2008. Her brother Wallace Schmidt, a Vietnam War vet who had post-traumatic stress disorder, committed suicide in 1972.

"I feel," she says, "as though I have extended my brother's life's work."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/201 ... -day_N.htm
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How about Civil War Union Army Veterans Day? How much respect, honor and recognition have they received? And 98% of were volunteered.

I oppose singling out a day for any specific group of veterans. Veterans are veterans. They were called to duty, they fought their hearts out, they suffered in ways we can't even fathom, hundreds of thousands lost their lives with barely a notice, those who didn't came home and tried to rebuild their lives the best they could with even less notice and they've done that from every war.

No one group of veterans is any different than another group. They all deserve the same day to be remembered. Hopefully, we remember them in our daily lives every day for without them, we wouldn't have a country, we wouldn't be free, and we wouldn't be speaking English. We owe all our veterans the same respect, the same honor, the same gratitude and all together on the same day of the year.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

In September, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed legislation making March 30 Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.
    I'm glad to see that California has a day to honor the heros of the Vietnam era.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn