Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Web's ability to spark bigotry rattles ADL chief

By Ron Hayes

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, February 10, 2007

PALM BEACH — The national director of the Anti-Defamation League speculated Friday that the Internet may be a major factor in growing anti-Semitism throughout the world.

"I'm becoming convinced more and more every day that the reason anti-Semitism is out there more is this highway, this transmitter belt," Abraham Foxman told about 350 people gathered for the ADL's national executive committee meeting, which runs through Sunday at The Breakers. "These blogs circulate it and reinforce it and so there's more of it."

While calling himself "a complete illiterate" who's only now learning about computers, Foxman said he's seen the potential for spreading hatred and bigotry online.

"Want to get sick?" he asked. "Log on to 'Holocaust.' With the Web you can extend and enhance and entertain, but it's also provided a legitimate highway for bigotry."

On the Internet, neo-Nazis and Holocaust deniers have at least the same potential audience as Web sites that promote peace, love and understanding. But Foxman confessed frustration at finding an effective way to combat the Internet's potential for inflaming bigotry.

"We have to come up with a better answer so that when they Google 'Jew' they don't get a hateful, anti-Semitic definition," he said. "We have to tell the Jewish community to bombard the Web with 'Jewish' positively."

Foxman made his comments on the Internet as part of a keynote address in which he expressed concerns that anti-Semitism is rising throughout the world.

"Why are we now hearing all the hideous canards about Jewish people that we believed buried in history?" he asked.

Anti-Semitism seems to have increased since the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Foxman said.

Many people believe Israel was behind the attacks, he said. "This is a fact in at least a third of the world, if not more."

Terrorist attacks in Bali and the Sinai and the recent shooting of a newspaper editor in Turkey are being blamed on Jews, he said.

"I almost expect to hear that the Denmark cartoons that insulted the prophet Mohammed were our fault," he said.

Foxman also criticized former President Jimmy Carter, whose current bestseller, Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid, has offended many Jews and other supporters of Israel.

"When Jimmy Carter says he chose that title to provoke debate because the Jews control the debate, that's an anti-Semitic canard," Foxman charged. "It wasn't David Duke or Pat Buchanan who said it. It's Jimmy Carter, a former president of the United States, and he's still saying it.

"I don't remember ever being so seriously concerned about the safety and security of my grandson."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/con ... _0210.html
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

On the Internet, neo-Nazis and Holocaust deniers have at least the same potential audience as Web sites that promote peace, love and understanding. But Foxman confessed frustration at finding an effective way to combat the Internet's potential for inflaming bigotry.

"We have to come up with a better answer so that when they Google 'Jew' they don't get a hateful, anti-Semitic definition," he said. "We have to tell the Jewish community to bombard the Web with 'Jewish' positively."

Foxman made his comments on the Internet as part of a keynote address in which he expressed concerns that anti-Semitism is rising throughout the world.

"Why are we now hearing all the hideous canards about Jewish people that we believed buried in history?" he asked.
    My opinion is that Foxman and his organization have been finding their organization less relevant in the face of the illegal alien invasion. Funding and overall interest is down. Surveys show that Christians have a high opinion of Jewish persons overall and half of Jewish marriages are with persons of other religions. I think part of his community is indeed bombarding the Web and TV in an attempt to perpetrate a hoax of hate where there is none. His attempts to portray persons wanting law enforced against illegal aliens as racists and bigots shows how wacked he is. Americans don't need hate, but Foxman requires it to exist and pay his bills. It's good that Foxman is not more Internet savvy. The hoax would have been less obvious to long time surfers.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I agree ll. I am concerned over any group that even hints at ways to limit free speech or control the Internet. AFAIAC the ADL is about as useful as the SPLC.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Banned
    Anti-Defamation League is as far as i want to read.

Don't come crying for my help ADL after lining up with the illegal aliens inside of America.

You just ticked off over 80% of America's citizens with that move and if I remember correctly, it was American citizens, turned into troops, that stopped Germany.

I do not hold anyone of the Jewish faith accountable for the terrible actions of the ADL, but I will certainly not be very concerned when the ADL is the source of the cry for help.

The ADL has no credibility with me after coming out in support of anti-Semitic illegal aliens.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    If you ask me, there are many types of racism. Groups like the ADL perpetuate their own special brand of racism by harping on the fact that the ethnic group they represent is separate from the rest of America. By perpetuating a cult of victimhood, they imagine that they are helping prevent their again being victimized, but instead they merely keep old wounds open and engender resentment when their acticities result in special treatment for their group. They only exacerbate the situation when they challenge fundamental institutions of our nation, such as freedom of speech and freedom of association. These principles are key to the very concept of liberty on which the nation's foundation is built.

Well said crocket. Absolutely! It is one of the very reasons I abhor "hate" crimes. It becomes Orwellian. Other then maybe child molestation it is the only place or maybe I should say used to be only place that guilt is assumed by mere mentioning it and it has been turned into an almost art form used by many groups.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

I didn't even know the ADL existed until a short time ago , Never payed much attention to them .

Now I am for everything they are against ,I simply don't believe anything they say . To me they only care about their own agenda and place that above everything .

As far as antisemitism goes I really don't believe that either .

These Organizations are the reason of anti-semitism.
    It's like saying "the ACLU" speaks for all Americans.
    They are opportunists who claim to speak for the jewish people, get paid for that, and put their financial and projection interest above everything.
    I' ve wrote to them to tell them as a jewish person I'm ashamed of them, they don't represent me, and that they must be grateful how the jewish people are treated in this country.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by longcut
    I didn't even know the ADL existed until a short time ago , Never payed much attention to them .

Now I am for everything they are against ,I simply don't believe anything they say . To me they only care about their own agenda and place that above everything .

As far as antisemitism goes I really don't believe that either .

Be carefull of the words you say keep them soft keep them sweet
    cause you'll never know from day to day,
    which words you"ll have to eat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast