Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Wounded Soldier: Military Wants Part Of Bonus Back

Wounded Soldier: Military Wants Part Of Bonus Back
    Reporting Marty Griffin
    PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―

The U.S. Military is demanding that thousands of wounded service personnel give back signing bonuses because they are unable to serve out their commitments.

To get people to sign up, the military gives enlistment bonuses up to $30,000 in some cases.

Now men and women who have lost arms, legs, eyesight, hearing and can no longer serve are being ordered to pay some of that money back.

One of them is Jordan Fox, a young soldier from the South Hills.

He finds solace in the hundreds of boxes he loads onto a truck in Carnegie. In each box is a care package that will be sent to a man or woman serving in Iraq. It was in his name Operation Pittsburgh Pride was started.

Fox was seriously injured when a roadside bomb blew up his vehicle. He was knocked unconscious. His back was injured and lost all vision in his right eye.

A few months later Fox was sent home. His injuries prohibited him from fulfilling three months of his commitment. A few days ago, he received a letter from the military demanding nearly $3,000 of his signing bonus back.

"I tried to do my best and serve my country. I was unfortunately hurt in the process. Now they're telling me they want their money back," he explained.

It's a slap for Fox's mother, Susan Wardezak, who met with President Bush in Pittsburgh last May. He thanked her for starting Operation Pittsburgh Pride which has sent approximately 4,000 care packages.

He then sent her a letter expressing his concern over her son's injuries, so she cannot understand the U.S. Government's apparent lack of concern over injuries to countless U.S. Soldiers and demands that they return their bonuses.

While he's unsure of his future, Fox says he's unwavering in his commitment to his country.

"I'd do it all over again... because I'm proud of the discipline that I learned. I'm proud to have done something for my country," he said.

But Fox feels like he's already given enough. He'll never be able to pursue his dream of being a police officer because of his wounds and he can't believe he's being asked to return part of his $10,000 signing bonus.

KDKA contacted Congressman Jason Altmire on his behalf. He says he has proposed a bill that would guarantee soldiers receive full benefit of bonuses.

http://kdka.com/local/military.signing. ... 71660.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is wrong, wrong, wrong!
    They signed a contract to do a job and were injured doing it after the money was paid! It belongs to them!
    If you know anybody in this situation have then contact Duncan Hunter, he will side with the vets.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    MD wrote:

This is wrong, wrong, wrong!
    They signed a contract to do a job and were injured doing it after the money was paid! It belongs to them!
    If you know anybody in this situation have then contact Duncan Hunter, he will side with the vets.
    It's a sad day in this nations history when an NFL player who suffers an season ending injury gets to keep his signing bonus but a soldier who risk his life for his country doesn't.

You're right about Duncan Hunter, MD. He has always stood up for our active duty soldiers and veterans. That's just one of the many reasons he has my respect.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ooooh, this makes me SO angry. EXCUSE ME??? They want part of their bonuses back?

No way!! If anything, these wounded veterans deserve to have their bonuses quadrupled because they were injured!

Sometimes I think the American government has gone stark-raving mad.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

I had heard about this before signing on tonight. This is just insane. You get an illegal who the politicians bend over backwards for and toss tons of social dollars their way and yet a soldier supporting their world agenda is treated like garbage.

Words will neve be able to express my anger on this one.
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

Banned
    I'M TOO PISSED TO TYPE!!!!!!!

AND WHAT WILL THEY DO WITH THIS MONEY THAT THEY TAKE BACK FROM INJURED SOLDIERS......? THE DEFENDERS OF OUR COUNTRY. ARE THEY GOING TO GIVE IT TO ILLEGALS TO EDUCATE THEIR CHILDREN? FOR FOOD STAMPS FOR ILLEGALS? HOUSING?

This just makes me cry - out of sadness - and frustration.