Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.hendersonvillestarnews.com/a ... 2/60919010

Wednesday, 09/20/06

'When in Rome, do as the Romans:' E-mails to the Metro Council in favor of the English-only bill

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Crafton,

I support your effort to make "English" only for the Nashville metro area.

I also believe we need to pass a federal bill to make English the official language for the United States. I've experienced the serious problems with duel national languages like in Canada. Two languages divide countries, not unite them. We do not want to go down that road. It's not mean spirited, it makes common sense.

Jim Thomas
    Franklin

VOTE FOR THE ENGLISH-ONLY BILL.

While I support the welcoming of legal immigrants, I have fear and amazement at this continuing flood of people from Mexico. We are in danger of losing our culture and entitlements if immigrants do not assimilate. My blood boils everytime I hear "Press 1 for English."

Nothing is new about immigration issues such as these. It seems that people know nothing about the history of immigration (See for example, Pat Buchanan's new book, State of Emergency).

Diane Larsen

Dear Sirs/Madams:

I would like to urge you to vote FOR the English-only bill now facing the council. It's time for our leaders to make a stand for this country and the people who ARE citizens and LEGAL aliens. Be one who is counted as one who is brave enough to forgo the political correctness that is rampant in this society. These people are breaking our laws and I see this as a step in the right direction to resolving our illegal immigration problems and would hope that elected members will bow to the will of the people in this matter and not pander to their own political aspirations.

Sincerely,

Leah D. Norton

I read the article in todays Tennessean and the more I read the more upset I got. The council members that are against this proposal or are on the fence have their head in the sand. The issue is and always has been "Illegal aliens" Why are we determined to bend over backwards and at great expense cater to the Illegals?

As mentioned in the article, there are no provisions for catering to Russions, Koreans, Italians, or any other language. Why Spanish? Because there are so many of them and this should not be the case! I grew up with a family whose father was Mexican and the Mother was Jewish. They had 13 kids and I played with the ones that were in my age group. None of them spoke Spanish and I don't recall ever hearing their Father speak it either. he spoke broken English but he could be understood. This is because he came to the country legally and he intended to stay for the rest of his life which he did.

The majority of these illegals have no intention of intergrating all they want is to work and send the money home. Let's not make it easier for them to stay by catering to their language needs. If they require assistance and they are legal, they can find someone to accompany them when help is required. I would like to see you go to Mexico, Brazil, or any other Foriegn country and demand that they accommodate your language requirements, fat chance.

If I recall correctly, many years ago Congress voted on wether English or German would be our official language. English was the choice as it should be now.

Leslie Wise
    Davidson County

I applaud Eric Crafton on his move to make English the only language of the Metropolitan government. I think the word official is not the correct terminology, the only language would suit better. It is my understanding as an American English is the official language of our country. That being said those who come to our country should be prepared to learn and use the language of the American people as their means of communication while on American soil. If living conditions are such in their native land that individuals choose to leave and come to America then they should be prepared to abandon the ways of the land and adopt the culture and language of the American people. The American culture should not be required or expected to restructure its native tongue to accommodate those choosing to immigrate to this land.

When one reads the article in this a.m. paper of the demographic makeup of Glenview Elementary school one can easily see unless something is done to preserve the English language and culture our country will have no identity. Unless leadership takes action to maintain the English language as the only language, very soon a myriad of languages will be required for individuals to function in this county. The only ones who can initiate this action are the elected leaders on a local, state and national level.

All ballots should be in English, only those legalized American citizens should be allowed to vote and anyone who is not a legalized citizen who breaks the laws of our land should be returned to their country without any due process of law and never allowed to return.

The parent role often requires TOUGH LOVE to preserve family values and bring children to maturity whereby they can be responsible, law abiding, productive citizens. Elected officials need to use the same principle to govern our country creating responsible, law abiding and productive citizens.

I urge each councilman to support Mr. Crafton in this movement. Perhaps Nashville can set the stage for other municipalities to follow with Tennessee becoming an American speaking state.

Respectfully,

Patricia Jones

It breaks my heart when I see American elected officials speak for illegal immigrates who have broken the laws of the United States of America and then want to reward them for breaking the laws. What a message you are sending to our youths.

There should be no questions about Metro Davidson County being an English speaking state. If immigrates come into this country the right way, that's one of the steps they have to take and that is learning the English language. There are other immigrates here other than Hispanics, why are you playing favoritism with the races.

Shame on you for putting the American people last on your list.

Thank you Councilman Eric Crafton for being a voice for the American
    people.

Debbie Smith

Please support Mr. Craftons english only bill, hopefully all cities in Tennessee. will adopt the bill, how can a person become an American Citizen if they cannot speak English, Immigrants have learned in the past, not wanting to learn english is saying I want all American has to offer but I want to remain a Mexican native and keep the Mexican citizenship.Our country is english speaking would Mexico adopt English, NO.
    thank you,

George Neal

Mr. Crafton,

My Family was in Texas before Texas was a republic - let alone a state. My family quickly learned the language to the point where my grandfather (7xs back) ran gold on horseback from Kansas City to El Paso for Wells Fargo, and then became a Texas Ranger. Our family's American acculturation has continued to this day.

The United States is NOT a multi-cultural nation, it is multi-ethnic. Legal immigrants should learn the language, learn the culture, and learn to contribute to society. They can hold on to their heritage and culture of origin, but they shouldn't rip down Old Glory and run up their flag at the U.S. post office.

I came to Nashville in 1983 and work as a video producer. This my home. Even though I am sympathetic to the poor, it ticks me off when I see Illegals not wanting to be seen in the trunk of a car crossing the border, but wanting to be seen in protests for privileges they have no right to receive.

I totally support you and you English only bill.

Danny Ayala

Thanks to Eric Crafton for introducing this proposal! Hopefully all of you will support and vote for passage so we in Metro can be united as Americans.

Perhaps the rest of the nation will follow. If all foreigners that want to
    reside in the U.S. would learn our langauge then they would be more welcome in our country. Why should we make special arrangements to accommodate their unwillingness to fit into our culture? Their country must not be to nice to live in or they wouldn't be trying to live here and we certainly don't want them dragging our country down to their level which is happening now. When in Rome, do as the Romans! Please pass this bill!!!!

Mr & Mrs Jerry Stewart
    Hermitage, Tn 37076

Mr. Crafton:

Thanks for initiating a bill in the Metro government to make the offical business language English. It's unfortunate that such a thing is even necessary!!

Once again, it seems that we have allowed and/or encouraged "minority" rights over the majority in allowing internationals to come into the US as they continue to attempt to promote, preserve, and promote their culture, to the neglect of respecting and adapting to the culture of which they have chosen to become a part.

While we need to encourage and support internationals who are here legally, to find homes, gainful employment, and to become productive citizens, w/that citizens of another culture should "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Children learn quickly, are resilient, and are willing to learn the English language, and are usauly excited about doing so. It is parents, adults, extended family members, etc., who are unwilling to cooperate and adapt to the culture. Unfortunately, they serve as models to their children in their unwillingness to learn the language, reproducing more of the same for the country and then "majority" to support.

If there is any way I can support you in this bill, please let me do so, and thanks again for taking a stand on this, and encouraging internationals to learn the language if they have plans to remain in the US and draw an income.

Sincerely,

Sandra K. Sanders
    Madison

I wish to express my support for the bill proposed by Eric Crafton requiring english only in all city communications. Nashville has become a melting pot in recent years with many diverse cultures locating in our city. If it is necessary that all city communications be duplicated in spanish, it will soon become necessary that all other languages be produced as well. The costs would be prohibitive.

John Lamons
    Nashville
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Letters sent to all.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index ... s_id=52635

Bill would prohibit renting to illegal immigrants

By Bill Harless, bharless@nashvillecitypaper.com
    October 11, 2006

Admitting he does not believe the legislation would be enforceable, a Metro Council member has nevertheless filed a bill to ban landlords from renting to illegal immigrants and to revoke business licenses from firms that knowingly employ them.

Both ordinances, filed by Hermitage-area Metro Councilman Jim Gotto, would create mechanisms for citizen reporting of illegal immigrants.

The rental legislation would require the Metro Codes Department to investigate written allegations that a landlord is renting to an illegal immigrant. The business legislation, in turn, would require the Metro Legal Department and the Davidson County Clerk to initiate investigations on receipt of allegations that a business has employed an illegal immigrant.

The ordinances, scheduled for consideration on the first of three readings at the Metro Council’s meeting next Tuesday, prohibit, however, allegations based “solely or primarily on the basis of national origin, ethnicity, or race.”

Upon receipt of the allegations, Metro would be required to verify the immigration status of the persons in question with the federal government.

The rental legislation, for its part, would give a landlord five days following written notice from the city that he or she is violating the law to “correct a violation of this section,” and the landlord would be issued separate violations for each day he or she does not provide Metro with identity information needed to verify the renter’s immigration status.

The business legislation, in turn, would demand the county clerk suspend the license of any business that “fails to correct a violation of this section” within three business days after receiving notification it is breaking the ordinance. The ordinance makes an exception for immigrants that have federal authorization to work in the U.S.

A business license would be reinstated a day after the business submits proof the illegal immigrant is no longer employed.

Legal flags were raised immediately after Gotto filed the legislation.

Metro Council staff attorney Jon Cooper said in an interview Tuesday the rental legislation would be unenforceable because state law does not require landlords submit records regarding their renters.

And, Cooper said, because the issuance of business licenses falls under state purview, Metro can have no say in revoking a license.

Gotto based his proposal on a law passed this summer by the town of Hazelton, Pa., and requiring the fining of landlords $1,000 daily for renting to illegal immigrants and revoking the licenses of businesses hiring illegal immigrants. The law, however, lost a court challenge by the ACLU, and a revised version — on which Gotto says his bill his modeled — is now making its way through council.

Stephen Fotopulos, policy director for the Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition, said the legislation could damage communities in Nashville.

“This is just another frustrated response to the U.S. Congress refusing to act on this issue, but what this misguided legislation does is turn every landlord and every small business owner into an immigration agent, and of course they can’t do that,” Fotopulos said. The written allegation system “is not exactly how we want to build community in Nashville,” he added.

Gotto, however, said he hopes the legislation will spark renewed dialogue on solving the problem of illegal immigration in Tennessee, which he said has put an undue burden on public services and has contributed to higher crime rates. He said he hopes the legislation will spur residents to pressure the General Assembly to pass legislation making his bills feasible.

“I’m really tired of people saying we can’t do anything,” Gotto said. “I hope this will bring the public to bear pressure on state legislature.”
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sent emails to the Mayor and to all councilmembers. will post replys.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Here's the ORDINANCE:

ORDINANCE NO. BL2006-1234

An ordinance amending Title 6 of the Metropolitan Code of Laws prohibiting the harboring of illegal aliens and prohibiting landowners from leasing or renting dwelling units to illegal aliens.

WHEREAS, federal law requires that certain conditions be met before a person may be authorized to work or reside in this country; and

WHEREAS, unlawful workers and illegal aliens, as defined by this ordinance and federal law, do not normally meet such conditions as a matter of law when present within the area of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County; and

WHEREAS, unlawful employment, the harboring of illegal aliens in dwelling units within the area of the Metropolitan Government, and crime committed by illegal aliens harm the health, safety and welfare of the lawful residents of the Metropolitan Government; and

WHEREAS, illegal immigration leads to higher crime rates, subjects our hospitals to fiscal hardship and legal residents to substandard quality of care, contributes to other burdens on public services, increasing their cost and diminishing their availability to legal residents, and diminishes our overall quality of life; and

WHEREAS, United States Code Title 8, subsection 1324(a)(1)(A) prohibits the harboring of illegal aliens; and

WHEREAS, providing housing to illegal aliens is a fundamental component of harboring; and

WHEREAS, through this ordinance, the Metropolitan County Council seeks to secure to those lawfully present in the United States and within the area of the Metropolitan Government, whether or not they are citizens of the United States, the right to live in peace free of the threat of crime, to enjoy the public services provided by this city without being burdened by the cost of providing goods, support and services to aliens unlawfully present in the United States, and to be free of the debilitating effects on their economic and social well being imposed by the influx of illegal aliens to the fullest extent that these goals can be achieved consistent with the Constitution and Laws of the United States and the State of Tennessee.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:

Section 1. Title 6 of the Metropolitan Code of Laws is hereby amended by adding the following new Chapter 6.30 "Harboring Illegal Aliens":

6.30.010 Definitions.
    When used in this chapter, the following words, terms and phrases shall have the meanings ascribed to them herein, and shall be construed so as to be consistent with state and federal law, including federal immigration law:
    A. "City" means the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County.
    B. "Illegal Alien" means an alien who is not lawfully present in the United States, according to the terms of United States Code Title 8, section 1101 et seq. The City shall not conclude that a person is an illegal alien unless and until an authorized representative of the City has verified with the federal government, pursuant to United States Code Title 8, subsection 1373(c), that the person is an alien who is not lawfully present in the United States.
    C. "Unlawful worker" means a person who does not have the legal right or authorization to work due to an impediment in any provision of federal, state or local law, including but not limited to a minor disqualified by nonage, or an unauthorized alien as defined by United States Code Title 8, subsection 1324a(h)(3).
    D. "Department" means the Metropolitan Department of Codes Administration.

6.30.020 Harboring illegal aliens.
    A. It is unlawful for any person or business entity that owns a dwelling unit in the City to harbor an illegal alien in the dwelling unit, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, unless such harboring is otherwise expressly permitted by federal law.
    1. For the purposes of this section, to let, lease, or rent a dwelling unit to an illegal alien, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, shall be deemed to constitute harboring. To suffer or permit the occupancy of the dwelling unit by an illegal alien, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, shall also be deemed to constitute harboring.
    2. A separate violation shall be deemed to have been committed on each day that such harboring occurs, and for each adult illegal alien harbored in the dwelling unit, beginning one business day after receipt of a notice of violation from the department.
    3. A separate violation of this section shall be deemed to have been committed for each business day on which the owner fails to provide the department with identity data needed to obtain a federal verification of immigration status, beginning three days after the owner receives written notice from the department.

B. Enforcement: The department shall enforce the requirements of this section.
    1. An enforcement action shall be initiated by means of a written signed complaint to the department by any official, business entity, or resident of the City. A valid complaint shall include an allegation which describes the alleged violator(s) as well as the actions constituting the violation, and the date and location where such actions occurred.
    2. A complaint which alleges a violation solely or primarily on the basis of national origin, ethnicity, or race shall be deemed invalid and shall not be enforced.
    3. Upon receipt of a valid written complaint, the department shall, pursuant to United States Code Title 8, section 1373(c), verify with the federal government the immigration status of a person seeking to use, occupy, lease, or rent a dwelling unit in the City. The department shall submit identity data required by the federal government to verify immigration status. The City shall forward identity data provided by the owner to the federal government, and shall provide the property owner with written confirmation of that verification.
    4. If after five business days following receipt of written notice from the City that a violation has occurred and that the immigration status of any alleged illegal alien has been verified, pursuant to United States Code Title 8, section 1373(c), the owner of the dwelling unit fails to correct a violation of this section, the department shall initiate the appropriate proceeding at law or in equity to restrain, correct or abate such violation.
    5. Any person found by a court to be in violation of any of the provisions of this ordinance shall be prohibited from collecting any rent, payment, fee, or any other form of compensation from, or on behalf of, any tenant or occupant in the dwelling unit.
    6. The prohibition on accepting rent pursuant to subsection 5 herein shall terminate one business day after a legal representative of the dwelling unit owner submits to the department a sworn affidavit stating that each and every violation has ended. The affidavit shall include a description of the specific measures and actions taken by the business entity to end the violation, and shall include the name, address and other adequate identifying information for the illegal aliens who were the subject of the complaint.
    7. The department shall forward the affidavit, complaint, and associated documents to the appropriate federal enforcement agency, pursuant to United States Code Title 8, section 1373.
    8. Any dwelling unit owner who commits a second or subsequent violation of this section shall be subject to a fine of fifty dollars ($50) for each separate violation and shall be prohibited from leasing or renting any property within the area of the Metropolitan Government for a period of three (3) months.
    9. Upon the request of a dwelling unit owner, the department shall, pursuant to United States Code Title 8, section 1373(c), verify with the federal government the lawful immigration status of a person seeking to use, occupy, lease, or rent a dwelling unit in the City. The penalties in this section shall not apply in the case of dwelling unit occupants whose status as an alien lawfully present in the United States has been verified.

6.30.030 Construction and severability.
    A. The requirements and obligations of this chapter shall be implemented in a manner fully consistent with federal law regulating immigration and protecting the civil rights of all citizens and aliens.
    B. If any part or provision of this chapter is in conflict or inconsistent with applicable provisions of federal or state statutes, or is otherwise held to be invalid or unenforceable by any court of competent jurisdiction, such part of provision shall be suspended and superseded by such applicable laws or regulations, and the remainder of this chapter shall not be affected thereby.

Section 2. This Ordinance shall take effect from and after its passage, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.

Sponsored by: Jim Gotto

LEGISLATIVE HISTORY
    Introduced: October 17, 2006
    Passed First Reading: October 17, 2006
    Referred to: Personnel Committee
    Passed Second Reading:
    Passed Third Reading:
    Approved:
    By:
    http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/bl2006_1234.htm
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    Letters sent to all.

Form letter.

Will post reply.
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    The wordign of the ordinance seems to good, although I am not versed in legal wording, it would seem "foolproof" when dealing with it being only about the federal laws, not about race or ethnicity.

Here is a question, if someone might know. Can it withstand a court battle with the ACLU and does anyone know if any judge would try to throw it out?

I am really thinking strongly about taking this to our new mayor, since one of his top platforms was about gang crimes in our city. I may be having a meeting with him and our neighborhood associations president sometime soon anyways, and I think this might be something to bring up, I would like to see our city give this consideration.

Unfortunately being a suburb of Portland, it could be difficult to win over people as they are brow-beaten by the politically correct crowd too much out here. Wish me luck.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR E-MAIL.
    I HAVE ALREADY INTRODUCED AND PASSED LEGISLATION TO PROHIBIT METRO FROM DOING BUSINESS WITH ANY SUPPLIER DOING WORK WITH METRO,THAT USES ILLEGAL WORKERS.

I WAS ALSO ONE OF THE SPONSORS OF THE ENGLISH BILL WHICH WE WILL PASS IN TWO WEEKS.

I HAVE AND WILL SUPPORT ANY BILLS THAT COME BEFORE THE COUNCIL REGARDING ILLEGAL ALIENS.

THANK YOU AGAIN
    HAROLD WHITE
    DISTRICT 14
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

JAK
    November 11, 2006

I could not agree more & this has my full support -

Thanks for your email.

Councilman Jason Alexander

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    My emails sent, even though it might be a bit late for this one???? However, even so I know the support is most likely appreciated anyways, it might help with any legal actions ACLU may have planned, when the city can show letters and emails of support by the American people of their own city, and across the country.

Good thing I go these out, we are expecting a windstorm tonight, and it is likely we will lose power, always happens, we get these storms, and the east wind funnels in through the Columbia River Gorge and knocks out power for hours!! It's no fun as we only have electric heat.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast