Page 278 of 844 FirstFirst ... 178228268274275276277278279280281282288328378778 ... LastLast
Results 2,771 to 2,780 of 8438
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 7 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Squash May Have Anti-Diabetic Properties

November 21, 2012 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.

PHOTOS.COM

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (UPI) — Squash is mostly starchy carbohydrates, but studies show it has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties, a U.S. food expert says.

“Squash includes both winter and summer varieties, some examples include, zucchini from the summer and butternut, buttercup, acorn, pumpkin and kabocha from winter,” Phil Lempert, a food industry analyst, trend watcher and creator of supermarketguru.com said in a statement.

“Many of the carbs in winter starch come from polysaccharides found in the cell walls. These polysaccharides include pectins — specially structured polysaccharides that in winter squash often include special chains of D-galacturonic acid called homogalacturonan. An increasing number of animal studies now show that these starch-related components in winter squash have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, as well as anti-diabetic and insulin-regulating properties.”

Although the squash is botanically classified as a fruit, many consider it a vegetable for culinary purposes. The carotenoids, including lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-cryptoxanthin, give many squash its signature orange color and are good for eye health.

Squash contains vitamin C, potassium, fiber, manganese and folate, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins and copper.

Most varieties of squash start out green and turn orange when ripe but some are actually ripe when green. When choosing for cooking or baking, look for fruits that are heavy for their size with a hard shell, Lempert advised.

Squash May Have Anti-Diabetic Properties : Personal Liberty Digest™
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Poor Man’s Guide To Survival Gear

The Poor Man

Starchy Diet, Colon Cancer Returning Link

November 23, 2012
    by UPI - United Press International, Inc.

PHOTOS.COM

BOSTON (UPI) — Colon cancer survivors who eat a lot of sugary and high-carbohydrate food have a higher risk of the cancer coming back, U.S. researchers say.

Lead author Dr. Jeffrey Meyerhardt of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston and colleagues found in a previous study those with a typical “Western” diet — high intake of meat, fat, refined grains and sugary desserts — were three times more likely to have a cancer recurrence than those whose diets were least Western.

The study was conducted to explore which component of the Western diet was most responsible for the increased risk of colon cancer recurrence.

The study involved 1,011 stage III colon cancer patients who had undergone surgery and participated in a National Cancer Institute-sponsored Cancer and Leukemia Group B clinical trial of follow-up chemotherapy for their disease.

Participants reported their dietary intake during and six months after the trial.
    Researchers tracked the patients’ total carbohydrates, as well as their glycemic index — a measure of how quickly blood sugar levels rise after eating a particular food — and glycemic load, which takes into account the amount of a carbohydrate actually consumed, and looked for a statistical connection between these measures and the recurrence of colon cancer.

The study, published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, found the study participants with the highest dietary levels of glycemic load and carbohydrate intake had an 80 percent increased risk of colon cancer recurrence or death compared with those who had the lowest levels. Among patients who were overweight or obese the increase was even greater, the study said.

Starchy Diet, Colon Cancer Returning Link : Personal Liberty Digest™

Cancer is finally cured in Canada but Big Pharma has no interest.

Cancer is finally cured in Canada but Big Pharma has no interest. | Facebook

Friday, November 23, 2012

Black Friday Blues? 40 Ideas for the Prepper Gift Giver

Amanda Warren

The blinds are down. The doors are bolted. You slept in. You still bask in the euphoria of a pleasant evening with friends, family, and grateful feasting. Maybe you even helped others.

Congratulations - you had a great Thanksgiving! And you didn't cave to the pressure to freeze in the cold night, suspend empathy and stampede your fellow man, pregnant woman*, child, old lady, disabled veteran, for overpriced made-in-China trinkets.

So you're indoors, away from Black Friday's most dangerous zombies - these ones can run! - and maybe wondering what you could give your loved ones that circumvents the mainstream fishies' way of life. There's still a pressure to get the coolest gadget and maybe you've gotten or made handcrafted gifts that seemed chintzy and cheap. Ever notice how thrilled people are when someone has donated to a charity in the recipient's name? Not so much.

I could kick myself, because, again, I put stock in consumerism to show a token of friendship with gifts. I bought bulk organic makeup for my non-prepper friends - it wasn't - it claimed it was from the Amazon with clay - it wasn't - and I wasted money for foreign crap thinking it was a better way through the season. And I felt like a cheap snob. I quit!

I mean, I really want to walk away from it all, no matter how difficult. Isn't it too late to be yearning for things that won't matter in the upcoming months concerning the times we live in? Too late to condone the 5-sense way of life with fake money? If I give a gift it will be one they can actually use to prepare for the future, or a gift that includes making a memory.

My father inspired me with his new hobby of making birdhouses and what some call "junk art." People have offered him money for it - now there's a thought. Instead of watching TV he used his spare time to do something he enjoyed, that others will later enjoy.

Here are some gift ideas for your friends that will be there when the time is right and that your non-prepping friends and family won't spit on (mostly):

Things that are storable, but do not take up too much space:

• Seeds, kitchen herb garden sets
    • Silver
    • How about colloidal silver
    • Prepping type books
    • Classic books, or print out a free .pdf book and bind it
    • Recipe book, assemble, print, done - try outdoor cooking, camp burner, dutch oven ones
    • Food storage sampler
    • Ammo - NOW is the time, it's running out
    • Gardening gift sets you assemble with separate items in a basket
    • DIY body care products
    • DIY anything
    • Simple alkalizing detox bath, could be a footbath. Simple recipe: 1/4 cup Epsom salts, 1/4 baking soda - could add herbs or just a couple drops of essential oils
    • Essential oil and homeopathic emergency or coldcare kits
    • Any kind of coldcare package
    • A month of organic food delivery or fresh farm co-op membership - or just buy the stuff and make sampler baskets
    • Upcycle some clothes - lots of blogs and Pinterest pics on that
    • Upcycle the giftwrap, boxes, and ties - better yet, use prep tools like paracord
    • Use jars to mix up the dry seasonings & other ingredients for a dinner or dessert and include the recipe
    • Could also make jars with sauces, dressings, and marinades - if you made it, it's gourmet
    • A microbrewery kit
    • With some meal prep, you could deliver frozen meals, homemade ready meals, homemade pie
    • Make winterwear - sometimes as easy as just cutting some fleece
    • Upcycle junk into something else
    • Burn a CD with shared favorite songs or an online music mix
    • Photobook - easy to make online. Many women say that photos are the one thing they wish they could carry from a burning house
    • Different colored duct tapes are really in right now, especially among youth

Things that aren't things:

• Coffee and dessert at home
    • Create a video with a favorite song and pictures for the backdrop
    • Local music or event
    • Farmers market trip
    • Work on a project together - see all ideas above
    • Take a cooking or meal prep class
    • Try something new together
    • Refinish something
    • Write something
    • Repairs
    • Host a movie night with a meaningful movie (Like They Live! Kidding)
    • Shooting range time, or Women in the Outdoors and Project Appleseed events
    • Grab a friend and both do something for someone else together - do you know how many elderly are completely alone? Go on a mission to find them.
    • Just visit

Use any type of skill, gift or talent to contribute to another person - it shouldn't go unappreciated. Giving gifts isn't the only Love Language.

Anything that involves not buying prepackaged garbage and does not support overseas money or economic gobblers here. Your family "who doesn't get it" might roll their eyes, but wouldn't they be grateful later? You think about their well being enough already, you can show it without actually showing what you're doing. And if people have the gall to scoff at those thoughtful gifts, then maybe ask Santa for new friends.

Please add your own in the comment section below!

*True story: I know a young girl who was 7 months pregnant out on Black Friday who got slammed and toppled over by a ruffian and she had to go to the hospital for early contractions! The older man did not help her but instead shouted "Iss not my fault! I didn't do that! Y'all saw it - you can't sue me!" Then everyone blamed her for going out.

Wait a second, shouldn't a pregnant woman be able to shop without the fear of losing her baby? But, as for me: PASS.

Activist Post: Black Friday Blues? 40 Ideas for the Prepper Gift Giver

Decorating Oranges Cloves Pomander Balls - Christmas Project

How to Make Clove Oranges – Decorate This Festive Season

09-Oct-2010 by chockyfoodie

As a kid I enjoyed making clove orange pomander balls during the Christmas season. For me Christmas was always special due to the scents associated with them. Be it Christmas pine, freshly baked cakes, homemade wines, homemade ginger bread or anything else, the scents of Christmas were always alluring and special.

There are many fun ways to decorate your home with festive scents. You can prepare some scented candles at home or buy readymade ones from the market. Also you can find lots of scented candles in the market that gel well with the theme of Christmas. And for a change why don’t you try out preparing some unique scents (at home) this Christmas season. You can easily make clove orange pomander balls at home.

Christmas Orange Pomander Ball

As a kid I remember making orange pomander balls by sticking cloves around oranges in not very straight lines, only to realize later that by the time I finished with it, the clove heads have nipped off. We kids used to prepare as many clove oranges as possible. We used to supply these oranges to our close relatives too. I used to keep my pomander balls for long time.

You can easily recreate this authentic Christmas scent in the following way. For preparing a pomander ball you need:

8 medium sized oranges (preferably thin skinned)
    6 cups clove -whole
    2 cups cinnamon powder
    4 cups Orris Root powder
    1 and half cup Allspice powder
    1 cup grounded nutmeg
    And a festive ribbon

Method of preparation

• Warm the oranges by rolling them between hands, so that the cloves can penetrate easily. In case of thick oranges there are the chances that cloves may break off and you may end up wasting too much cloves. In order to avoid this situation it is always better to poke holes on the surface of an orange using some sharp instruments.

• Leave enough space between the cloves because when the oranges shrink the cloves will cluster together. You can easily arrange the cloves in dotted pattern or lattice pattern. But I feel the better way is to arrange cloves on the face side or in lines.

• Blend all powders and roll the clove studded oranges over these powders, so that even the small spaces are filled.

• Preserve these clove studded oranges in boxes lined with tissue papers. Store these boxes for 3-4 weeks at warm place. Once the oranges dry out, take them out and shake the excess powder. Now the pomander is ready for use.

• Tie them to the end of festive ribbons or decorate it on table. The shrugged off powder can be stored for future uses.

Image courtesy: ny-image3.etsy.com

How to Make Clove Oranges

working4change
    Please help! We need calls to Harry Reid and the Senate.

http://www.alipac.us/f8/stop-harry-r...legals-267730/

Health Benefits of Lemon Water + Recipe

By Linda Wagner | May 16, 2011

Photographer: Linda Wagner

I love me a glass of piping hot lemon water with ginger and stevia. Besides being absolutely delicious, it has a whole BOAT LOAD of health benefits.

Here are 10 health benefits of lemon water that you may not have known! (via LifeMojo).

For more stories about Health and Wellness, see our full list here.

1. Good for stomach Lemon can help relieve many digestion problems when mixed with hot water. These include nausea, heartburn and parasites. Due to the digestive qualities of lemon juice, symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching are relieved. By drinking lemon juice regularly, the bowels are aided in eliminating waste more efficiently. Lemon acts as a blood purifier and as a cleansing agent. The intake of lemon juice can cure constipation. It is even known to help relieve hiccups when consumed as a juice. Lemon juice acts as a liver tonic and helps you digest your food by helping your liver produce more bile. It decreases the amount of phlegm produced by your body. It is also thought to help dissolve gallstones.
    2. Excellent for Skin Care Lemon, being a natural antiseptic medicine, can participate to cure problems related to skin. Lemon is a vitamin C rich citrus fruit that enhances your beauty, by rejuvenating skin from within and thus bringing a glow on your face. Daily consumption of lemon water can make a huge difference in the appearance of your skin. It acts as an anti-aging remedy and can remove wrinkles and blackheads. Lemon water if applied on the areas of burns can fade the scars. As lemon is a cooling agent, it reduces the burning sensation on the skin.
    3. Aids in Dental Care Lemon water is used in dental care also. If fresh lemon juice is applied on the areas of toothache, it can assist in getting rid of the pain. The massages of lemon juice on gums can stop gum bleeding. It gives relief from bad smell and other problems related to gums.
    4. Cures Throat Infections Lemon is an excellent fruit that aids in fighting problems related to throat infections, sore throat and tonsillitis as it has an antibacterial property. For sore throat, dilute one-half lemon juice with one-half water and gargle frequently.
    5. Good for Weight Loss One of the major health benefits of drinking lemon water is that it paves way for losing weight faster, thus acting as a great weight loss remedy. If a person takes lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water and honey, it can reduce the body weight as well.
    6. Controls High Blood Pressure Lemon water works wonders for people having heart problem, owing to its high potassium content. It controls high blood pressure, dizziness, nausea as well as provides relaxation to mind and body. It also reduces mental stress and depression.
    7. Assist in curing Respiratory Disorders
      Lemon water assists in curing respiratory problems, along with breathing problems and revives a person suffering from asthma.
    8. Good for treating Rheumatism Lemon is also a diuretic and hence lemon water can treat rheumatism and arthritis. It helps to flush out bacteria and toxins out of the body.
    9. Reduces Fever Lemon water can treat a person who is suffering from cold, flu or fever. It helps to break fever by increasing perspiration.
    10. Acts as a blood purifier The diseases like cholera or malaria can be treated with lemon water as it can act as a blood purifier.

Lemon is not the only power player in this recipe. Ginger is known to have some pretty remarkable health generating qualities like the ones listed below via Health Diaries

1. Colon Cancer Prevention A study at the University of Minnesota found that ginger may slow the growth of colorectal cancer cells.
    2. Morning Sickness A review of several studies has concluded that ginger is just as effective as vitamin B6 in the treatment of morning sickness.
    3. Motion Sickness Remedy Ginger has been shown to be an effective remedy for the nausea associated with motion sickness.
    4. Reduces Pain and Inflammation One study showed that ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and is a powerful natural painkiller.
    5. Heartburn ReliefGinger has long been used as a natural heartburn remedy. It is most often taken in the form of tea for this purpose.
    6. Cold and Flu Prevention and Treatment Ginger has long been used as a natural treatment for colds and the flu. Many people also find ginger to be helpful in the case of stomach flus or food poisoning, which is not surprising given the positive effects ginger has upon the digestive tract.
    7. Migraine Relief Research has shown that ginger may provide migraine relief due to its ability to stop prostaglandins from causing pain and inflammation in blood vessels.
    8. Menstrual Cramp Relief In Chinese medicine, ginger tea with brown sugar is used in the treatment of menstrual cramps.
    9. Prevention of Diabetic Nephropathy A study done on diabetic rats found that those rats given ginger had a reduced incidence of diabetic nephropathy (kidney damage) - via Health Diaries

So try a nice hot glass of Lemon water with Ginger and Stevia, it’s delicious and good for you in so many ways!!

You’ll need:

• 1/2 inch knob of ginger sliced thinly or grated
    • lemon
    • Stevia to taste

Simply pour boiling water over the ginger, let steep for about 5mins then add lemon juice and stevia to taste.

For more easy recipes subscribe to her blog, follow her on Twitter, LOVE her on facebook, or shoot her an email.

Linda Wagner is behind one of our go-to sites for Nutrition and Lifestyle updates, where this post originally appeared.

Directions

More about: Ginger, health, lemon water, linda wagner, stevia

Health Benefits of Lemon Water + Recipe « Chef Marcus Samuelsson

The Tobacco Seed Company - Grow Your Own Tobacco Plants

www.thetobaccoseed.com/index.html
    The Tobacco Seed Company sells over 60 of the world's finest and popular tobacco seeds for you to grow your own at home.

How to Grow Tobacco from seed to harvest - Gardening Guides …

www.gardening-guides.com/herbs/tobacco-an-howto.php
    If you want it you can smoke it. But growing tobacco is mostly fun, and the aroma of this herb is wonderful

How to Grow & Harvest Tobacco Seeds | eHow.com

www.ehow.com/how_7671353_grow-harvest-tobacco-seeds.html
    Home gardeners can easily grow tobacco plants (Nicotiana tabacum) from seed for landscaping or tobacco consumption. Plant tobacco seeds in full sun since lack of …

Cultivating, Harvesting and Curing Tobacco -- Victory Seed Company

www.victoryseeds.com/tobacco/backer_cultivation.html
    University of Florida - "Growing Tobacco in the Home Garden" ... We originally started growing and offering tobacco seeds as ornamental annuals.

Related searches for growing tobacco from seed

Tea Seeds | seedrack.com

www.seedrack.com
    Grow Your Own Tea from Seed

How to Grow Camellia Sinensis From Seed | eHow.com

www.ehow.com/how_7557690_grow-camellia-sinensis-seed.html
    Camellia sinensis is the common tea tree. The plant is an evergreen, and gardeners can use the young leaves to produce tea. The tree can reach up to 6 feet in height ...

How to grow tea

howtogrowtea.com
    How to grow tea at home . The freshest tea you can get is that you grow yourself, of course. ... Teas are grown from seed as well. White tea, green tea, ...

How to grow Tea (Camellia sinensis) from seed |

www.magic-garden-seeds.com/content/how-grow-tea-camellia-sinensis-seed
    How to grow Tea (Camellia sinensis) from seed. ... Seed germination, sowing instructions for Tea. Camellia sinensis is easy to grow from seeds. Tropical shrub or …

How to Grow and Harvest Tea - InDepthInfo: Information Delivered ...

www.indepthinfo.com/tea/grow.htm
    Planting Tea Trees From Seed. Tea trees or bushes can be grown in pots or directly in the ground. ... Herbal Teas | Growing | Tea Ceremony | Tea Store:

Grow Your Own Coffee | seedrack.com

seedrack.com
    Rare and Unusual Seeds from Whatcom 2012 Online Seed Catalog

Coffee Plant Seeds | Ask.com

Ask.com/Answers
    View Coffee Plant Seeds; Get Answers Now on Ask.com!

Growing Coffea Arabica at Home from Seed

www.sweetmarias.com/growingcoffeeathome.php
    The green coffee we sell for home roasting is a processed (de-hulled) dried seed. For all the processing entails (from wet-milling, depulping, drying ...

Growing Coffee Beans at Home

www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/homegrowing.htm
    When home growing coffee beans, ... Once the coffee seed germinates, very carefully remove it from the sand, vermiculite, or burlap bags. ...